Spyder Garage

Default Need Help Deciding Between a 2016 and 2020 F3-S

I am returning to the world of owning a Spyder. My first Spyder was a 2013 ST-Limited. I am now trying to decide between a used 2016 F3-s with 1500 miles @ $13,500 and a new 2020 F3-S at $20,800. I appreciate any advice or help you can provide to help me make my decision. I would look forward to seeing you all on the road soon.

Spyder Garage

Not knowing your finances or budget its hard to tell a person which way to go. You would have that information. Pros: Both have the 1330 engine which is more desireable over the 998 engine. Of course the 2020 does come with a 2 year warranty. Both bikes are very good bikes. Cons: The 2016 warranty has probably expired or is fixing to expire if it had the extended warranty. Maybe you don't know the service history of the bike such as how well the bike has been cared for unless seller has that information. Does the used bike have a clear title? I also hate to see a 4 year old bike with only 1500 miles on it. That means its been sitting a long time which could cause some problems. Only you can make the final decision. Good luck.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I bought an F3T with less than 1400 miles on it with a few extras for that price. It now has a little over 2K miles, looks and runs like new. Zero problems. As said above, a lot depends on your finances. I could have gone with a newer one but this one had impeccable records and always garaged. It was the right choice for me.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The 2020 are "detuned" in some ways and lots of the bypass methods won't work. Like on the '16. I would choose the '16 and use the extra cash to buy an extended warranty and a bunch of farkles.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I also hate to see a 4 year old bike with only 1500 miles on it. That means its been sitting a long time which could cause some problems.
    Would you expand on that please? There are a wicked number of low mileage spyders out there. This one looks tempting. https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/m...176967272.html
    But less than 1000 miles on a 2016 is a concern.

Spyder Garage

It's all in how deep your pockets are and do you want a warranty! Me, If it was garage kept and the animals didn't get in there, I don't know, I love money and am not afraid of turning wrenches! But if your one to turn the key and ride, then go new and hope for the best!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents is go for the 2020 model.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Pros -$7,300 less. Larger rear sprocket for more torque
    Cons- Black and white instrument screen. No warranty, or it's about to run out. The Best warranty could be purchased within the 2 year factory warranty time for up to 3 years additional. So if it was the warranty it would run out this year. Used so only the one color choice on the Spyder.

2020/2021
    Pros warranty 2 years up to 5 with additional Best coverage. Color screen. Choice of color on the Spyder.
    Cons Smaller rear sprocket. More $$$

Only you can decide what's best for you.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nmjayhawk View Post
    I am returning to the world of owning a Spyder. My first Spyder was a 2013 ST-Limited. I am now trying to decide between a used 2016 F3-s with 1500 miles @ $13,500 and a new 2020 F3-S at $20,800. I appreciate any advice or help you can provide to help me make my decision. I would look forward to seeing you all on the road soon.
    All things are not created equal for the differences noted by others - obviously you like the 2016 for some reason or you would have not entertained it.

Tell us ... which do you really like the best. It is time to get your ride on.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Finances permitting, I would opt for the 20. Warranty, a bit more technology, and you can get exactly what you want.

At 1500 miles on the 2016, you will need a full service, probably a battery, and new tires. The tires may be pretty, but they get old and should be changed out.

I have never bought a used Spyder, but the last two (2011 and 2014) have been run over 40K miles with no issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Pros -$7,300 less. Larger rear sprocket for more torque
    Cons- Black and white instrument screen. No warranty, or it's about to run out. The Best warranty could be purchased within the 2 year factory warranty time for up to 3 years additional. So if it was the warranty it would run out this year. Used so only the one color choice on the Spyder.

2020/2021
    Pros warranty 2 years up to 5 with additional Best coverage. Color screen. Choice of color on the Spyder.
    Cons Smaller rear sprocket. More $$$

Only you can decide what's best for you.
    I would ignore the choice of color issue. There's nothing stopping you from repainting the bike if you really want to. I have a buddy that's repainted his and his wife's bikes at least twice. When they get bored with the color, they repaint it.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    I would ignore the choice of color issue. There's nothing stopping you from repainting the bike if you really want to. I have a buddy that's repainted his and his wife's bikes at least twice. When they get bored with the color, they repaint it.
    True, but depending on cost to repaint it will bring the 2016 price closer to the 2020.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If your paying cash; buy the 2016 and the over $7k in savings will be your warranty. Otherwise if your leaning towards new wait a few months for the maximum rebate options to kick in.

Spyder Garage

I would look in the For Sale forum. There is a 2018 F3S for a great price by a forum member.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Repaint? Heck wrap it. Then when you get bored, rip it off and wrap it anew.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I ended up getting the used 2016 Spyder F3-S Special Series. Picked it up today and rode it back.

Spyder Garage

on the new to you Spyder, good luck and enjoy!
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I agree with it depends on finances. But, you can do a lot with the difference between 13k and 20.8K!
    You have a relatively new bike with 1500 miles on it in the 2016 and you may want to check to see if you can find an extended warranty.
    It also depends on whether you are purchasing the 2016 from a private owner or dealer.
    Either way, remember this is almost a 6 year old bike so you need to change oil and air and filters, probably install a new battery; flush cooking system and brakes. Tires should be like new and your should be able to purchase an extended warranty.
    However, I would maybe shave off 1 to 1.5 k from the 13.5 asking or if a dealer try to negotiate your bottom OTD (out the door) price.
    I paid 10,300 cash for a 2016 F3-S in early April. The bike had 1100 miles on it an it was titled in 2018. It is also a SM6 transmission not a SA6, but coming for a cruiser, no big deal!
    Rotax

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax View Post
    I agree with it depends on finances. But.......snip.....
    Rotax
    Look at post #16 again!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-06-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AVBIZ View Post
    If your paying cash; buy the 2016 and the over $7k in savings will be your warranty. Otherwise if your leaning towards new wait a few months for the maximum rebate options to kick in.
    Second that. You can pay for a few repairs with $7,000. The warranty cannot guarantee nothing will go wrong, it only pays for repair if it does.

Spyder Garage

I ended up getting the used 2016 Spyder F3-S Special Series. Picked it up today and rode it back.
    So you don't really 'Need Help Deciding Between a 2016 and 2020 F3-S' anymore, then!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!