Spyder Garage

Default Strange sound at certain speeds...

... when the engine is under load I get a pulsating humming sound about 40-45 mph when rolling steady down the road. The sound stops when I let off the throttle so I don't suspect tires. Sounds like it is an engine sound...

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ... when the engine is under load I get a pulsating humming sound about 40-45 mph when rolling steady down the road. The sound stops when I let off the throttle so I don't suspect tires. Sounds like it is an engine sound...
    I have the 1330 RT ..... when in 4 - 5 or 6th gear .... if the engine RPM's drop to low for that gear I hear a sort of gurgling ? sound especially if I add throttle .... is this what you are experiencing ?????? ............Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have the 1330 RT ..... when in 4 - 5 or 6th gear .... if the engine RPM's drop to low for that gear I hear a sort of gurgling ? sound especially if I add throttle .... is this what you are experiencing ?????? ............Mike
    The sound is more like a low whine that pulsates about 40-45 when rolling steady at that speed. When I back off the throttle, it stops. WHIrrr-WHIrrr-WHIrrr-

Spyder Garage

What RPMs are you pulling at 40 mph?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Straight cut gears in the engine. My RT starts in at 45 and noise subsides around 53 mph. The switch to full synthetic oil helped a bit, but it's still a bit noisy at that speed.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Straight cut gears in the engine. My RT starts in at 45 and noise subsides around 53 mph. The switch to full synthetic oil helped a bit, but it's still a bit noisy at that speed.
    This is my guess as well except I'd more suspect it coming from the transmission. Mechanical sounds at speed can be difficult to diagnose. A different lubricant can sometimes alleviate gear noises. If it were a bearing. You would most likely hear some variation of the sound most of the time. If it only happens at certain speeds. It's more likely transmission related than engine related. Because the engine goes through the same RPM range in each gear. Whereas the transmission tends to make noises only at a set speed.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-10-2020 at 06:43 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Ive heard some strange pulsating/whining noises from my RT as well.This motor has the loudest mechanical noises of any motor Ive had.When wearing my helmet and cruising its pretty much in the background.I think thats just how they are.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Gonna ryde more and worry less!! I love the byke. We were out for three hours today riding the backroads of Northern Indiana and found an out of the way winery with some very tantalizing flavors. Ryde on!

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This is my guess as well except I'd more suspect it coming from the transmission. Mechanical sounds at speed can be difficult to diagnose. A different lubricant can sometimes alleviate gear noises. If it were a bearing. You would most likely hear some variation of the sound most of the time. If it only happens at certain speeds. It's more likely transmission related than engine related. Because the engine goes through the same RPM range in each gear. Whereas the transmission tends to make noises only at a set speed.
    This is helpful information about these 1330 SE6 bykes. Thanks