Spyder Garage

Default I need the Air scoop installation template - anyone?

My dilemma is, I have a 2012 RTs that between my knees, feet through my boots and glovebox gets really hot. I can’t keep anything in the glovebox despite the styrofoam insert I have in there. I’ve read a lot about the airscoops needed for these older bikes so I bought the OEM airscoops from the dealer who printed the installation instructions out. The instructions DO NOT include removing the acoustic panel and replacing it with a tie bar. My kit DOES include the tie bar for support after removing the acoustic panel which I understand is structural. I’ve looked and looked for a YouTube video on installing these scoops. I understand that I have to cut my existing panels to accommodate the scoops where the existing air intake is, BUT THEY DID NOT SEND A TEMPLATE! I am at my wits end here and can use some help! I read where someone named DOC - RIVERSIDE has good instructions for removing the acoustic plate and adding the tie bar and most importantly cutting the panels! Doc is no longer accepting E-Mails. If anyone has a template I can use and I will send it back to them, I would greatly appreciate that! Or knows another way of a pattern that would be good. I already took my mirrors and panels off! Thanks for your help

Spyder Garage

I did the job last summer, I'll post some pix which may help. Essentially I cut out the section that is behind the new scoop (inner part that mounts to the OEM panel) to allow max airflow. That is what the instructions say to do. Some folks here will tell you they didnt cut anything, but left the original hole that had the grate in it and it works great. I'm not so sure about that, but everyone has an opinion.

The best thing to do is use some tape to put the scoop on the panel in the position it needs to go in and then when you are happy, drill the holes that let the screws hold it on. That will help to figure out the outline of the cutout. I used a jigsaw with a fine blade to cut the plastic but I used tape to preserve the finish from scratches. You will cringe when you first start cutting. Just take it slow and measure everything twice.

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

A few more pics

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

These are from the instructions Doc sent me. I can email them to you if you want. I'll PM you my email and if you can email me directly for them. For posterity, here are the text parts:

The Scoop install procedure is how I did it using the scoop as the template for marking the plastic that has to be removed. Basically what you are going to do is:

Assemble the two base pieces of the scoops.
    Remove the mirrors
    Align the scoop on the panel and install the front screw.
    Mark the 5 holes that need to be drilled
    Remove the front screw and remove the scoop. Drill the 5 holes.
    If your panels are dark apply masking tape on the panel so you will be able to see what plastic you will be cutting out.
    Remove the panel and install the scoop using the 5 screws. DO NOT overtighten the screws, they can be stripped.
    Mark the plastic to be removed.
    Remove scoop and rough cut the plastic to be removed. You want a large hole for max air flow.
    Reinstall the scoop and do the finish sanding of the cutout by using the scoop as a guide.
    Now you’re ready to completely assemble the scoop and attach it to the panel.

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

PM me your email and I'll send you the BRP instructions I used.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think all dealers were issued a set of TEMPLATES to do the recalls on the 2013 RT's...Also many other pre 2013 owners were given FREE air scoops as a courtesy from BRP...It may pay to ask your dealer...larryd

Spyder Garage

Thank you so very much for your pictures. That helps so much! I sent you a message by email.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. I did get my scoops from the dealer that was sent from the distribution center out of Dallas. I am going to get in touch with my closest dealer about this. They didn’t offer but I didn’t ask. They knew I bought these for the increased heat.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To drill new holes in the Spyder panel the instructions include a template. To cut the panel air hole larger dealers were given a jig. To cut the hole for the air flow you'll have to somewhat wing it. If you don't get the installation instructions from anyone PM me. I can send them to you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    To drill new holes in the Spyder panel the instructions include a template. To cut the panel air hole larger dealers were given a jig. To cut the hole for the air flow you'll have to somewhat wing it. If you don't get the installation instructions from anyone PM me. I can send them to you.
    Hi IdahoMtnSpyder!

Is there a possibility for me to also get the instructions sent via e-mail??
    I unboxed the Air scoop kit today and there was no template or instructions in the box.
    I could probably do it without, but would hate to make a mistake that could be avoided with proper instructions.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spendt & ' 's ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRT View Post
    Hi IdahoMtnSpyder!

Is there a possibility for me to also get the instructions sent via e-mail??
    I unboxed the Air scoop kit today and there was no template or instructions in the box.
    I could probably do it without, but would hate to make a mistake that could be avoided with proper instructions.
    This thread is almost 3 years old. Hope you get an answer. But I would ask;

Have you removed the splash panels from under the engine? Putting more air into the engine compartment will not help that much if it has nowhere to go.
    Have you wrapped your exhaust with exhaust wrap? This lowers engine compartment temperature a great deal.
    Have you replaced the catalytic converter? That thing is a huge heat box. They operate at temperatures from 500~1,200 degrees, depending on the load. Typically 500~800 under normal conditions.

Doing these things will give you a much cooler ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This thread is almost 3 years old. Hope you get an answer. But I would ask;

Have you removed the splash panels from under the engine? Putting more air into the engine compartment will not help that much if it has nowhere to go.
    Have you wrapped your exhaust with exhaust wrap? This lowers engine compartment temperature a great deal.
    Have you replaced the catalytic converter? That thing is a huge heat box. They operate at temperatures from 500~1,200 degrees, depending on the load. Typically 500~800 under normal conditions.

Doing these things will give you a much cooler ride.
    Old thread indeed, but gave it a go
    I have removed some of the splash panels (cut out) when I installed the right-side heat shield from Lamonster. My leg got cooked when fan set in.
    As for the other stuff you mention, I have done none of those. Wrapping the exhaust sounds like the easiest to start with, so I will do that for sure.

Thank you for your tips and advice Ron

Have a wonderful rest of the summer and ride safe!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2023 at 05:17 PM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

Old thread indeed, but gave it a go
    I have removed some of the splash panels (cut out) when I installed the right-side heat shield from Lamonster. My leg got cooked when fan set in.
    As for the other stuff you mention, I have done none of those. Wrapping the exhaust sounds like the easiest to start with, so I will do that for sure.

Thank you for your tips and advice Ron

Have a wonderful rest of the summer and ride safe!
    Just remove the plastic panels. All of them. You can always put them back on if you don't notice enough difference. They don't really do much other than retain hot air.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-13-2023 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Panels will be removed then.
    I will start working on the airscoop tomorrow and do them at the end of that session.
    Brgds Martin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi IdahoMtnSpyder !

Is there a possibilty for me to also get the instructions sendt via e mail ??
    On their way!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hi IdahoMtnSpyder !

Is there a possibilty for me to also get the instructions sendt via e mail ??
    I have the instructions and template. Please PM me your email and I'll send them to you as I have done for others in the past.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 01:42 AM. Reason: you... ;-)
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    I have the instructions and template. Please PM me your email and I'll send them to you as I have done for others in the past.
    Hi Eckard !

Thank you for your kind offer, but I have already got the instructions and template by email.

Big thank you goes out to this forum and its members; you are all great.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 04:21 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)
    Brgds Martin

Spyder Garage

Did mine on my 2014 RTS a few years ago. I just removed the grills and mounted the scoops. Along with removing all the heat panels. Didn't see the need to do all the cutting to the panels. Great improvement to air flow and eazy access to air filter and everything else under the panel also got rid of the nasty sticky black heat panels. We live in Florida with the high humidity, heat , and stop and go traffic it works great.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Now that the job is done and we have had some good weather for riding I got to test the result.
    What a difference, if I put my hand just in front of the saddle between my legs, all I feel is cold air now. I am realy happy with the outcome.
    Also the fan does not start as often as it used to, so win win all the way !
    Brgds Martin