Spyder Garage

Default choice of two rts specials

Hello, my quest continues, was wondering about 2 bikes I've found
    both 2015 rts special series identical paint and all. One is bone stock including tires and 12,000 miles, no records he did say his friend has changed his oil. The other has 39,000 miles vented windshield, new car tires up front, backrest, baker wings,spyder air intake grills and laser alignment. he has record of 28,000 mile maintenance and just had oil changed and bike checked out yesterday, the later will also throw in 2 helmets with sena blue tooth and a cover as well.
    Price is close to the same, I usually lean toward vehicles with better maintenance but the one isn;t really due for much maintenance at that mileage.

If both ride the same which way to go ????

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Transam87020 View Post
    Hello, my quest continues, was wondering about 2 bikes I've found
    both 2015 rts special series identical paint and all. One is bone stock including tires and 12,000 miles, no records he did say his friend has changed his oil. The other has 39,000 miles vented windshield, new car tires up front, backrest, baker wings,spyder air intake grills and laser alignment. he has record of 28,000 mile maintenance and just had oil changed and bike checked out yesterday, the later will also throw in 2 helmets with sena blue tooth and a cover as well.
    Price is close to the same, I usually lean toward vehicles with better maintenance but the one isn;t really due for much maintenance at that mileage.

If both ride the same which way to go ????
    Well IMHO Rotax engines are pretty much bullet-proof.... maintenance records are important .... Kenda tires are crap .... the extra's on bike #2 cost Him about $ 1000.00 +/- ..... and they are pretty popular Mods ...... good luck ..... PS how much are they asking for each ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

At just over 2K miles per year, I can't help but wonder if those miles were put on early, and if it has been sitting too long. You'll likely need new tires and other maintenance. At 39k, you may run into a bit of maintenance, but with the good upkeep I doubt that will amount to much. Unless you are a heavy rider and may need those extra miles at the end of the bike's life, it may be the better value. At the very least, have the 12K bike checked out by somebody who really knowns their stuff (other NM people may have a suggestion).
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

I would go with the one that has 28,000 miles on it. For the reason that MRH stated.

Spyder Garage

The mileage is pretty close, same year, I think I am with Mike, I would go with the one that's got the extras #2! There all things that you'll properly going to do anyway. Good luck in your shopping!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well IMHO Rotax engines are pretty much bullet-proof.... maintenance records are important .... Kenda tires are crap .... the extra's on bike #2 cost Him about $ 1000.00 +/- ..... and they are pretty popular Mods ...... good luck ..... PS how much are they asking for each ???? ..... Mike
    Mid thirteen's

Spyder Garage

Dealers can check the VIN # and let you know the maintenance history on both.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I would go with the one that has 28,000 miles on it. For the reason that MRH stated.
    The second bike has 39,000 miles not 28,000. It had it's 28k service.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My first instinct would be to go with the one with the fewer miles. But I also take a look at photos of each. Don't just look at the bike, but look at the surrounding area. Check out the things that you might see in the background such as other cars, lawns, house, etc. If they take good care of the other items, then there is a good indicator that they take care of the spyder.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    The second bike has 39,000 miles not 28,000. It had it's 28k service.
    Still would go with the one that has been ridden more over that period of time, and as ARtravler pointed out you can get a maintenance history. Thats just between 7-10K per year. With checking both vin#'s you might be able to see if the other spyder had updates done under buds even though the owner did oil changes as to what the mileage might have been over the years. Good luck!
    FWIW the battery is probably at it's max life, so keep that in mind.

Spyder Garage

So I bought the bike with the higher mileage Saturday. Seller was retired Lt Colonel air force though served in army also. (Chopper pilot Air Calvary in Nam , Air Force pilot c130's in Desert Storm and now a lawyer ) He had the oil changed and a check done at dealer on bike before I bought it. Over $400. Super nice guy, plus he did throw in the helmets with Sena ax30 headsets. Had receipts for them , was like a grand for all. Put about 160 miles on it so far so getting a little used to it though I drive like miss daisy on the twisties. Are there any power adders for these guys.
    Thanks all for the input, let the adventure begin.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So I bought the bike with the higher mileage Saturday. Seller was retired Lt Colonel air force though served in army also. (Chopper pilot Air Calvary in Nam , Air Force pilot c130's in Desert Storm and now a lawyer ) He had the oil changed and a check done at dealer on bike before I bought it. Over $400. Super nice guy, plus he did throw in the helmets with Sena ax30 headsets. Had receipts for them , was like a grand for all. Put about 160 miles on it so far so getting a little used to it though I drive like miss daisy on the twisties. Are there any power adders for these guys.
    Thanks all for the input, let the adventure begin.
    "
    The only reliable " power adder " that I know of is from either " Monster Fuel " or their partners " Wick-It performance " ..... type either in the " advanced search box " and you will find lots of info ..... what everyone used to do to gain performance is No longer applicable for our " Computer controlled engines " .... now you must start with re-programming the ECU ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-12-2020 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Wick-It ;)

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2015 RTS about a year ago with 3600 miles on it. It has been flawlwss for me, I did replace the front tires... it also depends on how/where it was stored.... outside under a car awning, is not the same as in a garage... 2 cents... oh, my bike had the initial oil change, and that was it. I had it serviced at 5K, not a problem... I like it better than my wifes 2018 RTL...
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Looked really hard at that low mileage one and took it for a ride. It was flawless but the guy was like I owe $15k on it but will sell in the $13's to get out from under it. I'll give a bill of sale and then when I get the title from a bank back east I'll get it to you. He then said he was selling everything including his house to get out of debt. Maybe he's legit but ..........uh, no thank you.

Spyder Garage

Looked really hard at that low mileage one and took it for a ride. It was flawless but the guy was like I owe $15k on it but will sell in the $13's to get out from under it. I'll give a bill of sale and then when I get the title from a bank back east I'll get it to you. He then said he was selling everything including his house to get out of debt. Maybe he's legit but ..........uh, no thank you.
    Run, run fast!! In Maine with out the title in hand you can not put a plate on it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

You ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CERTAINLY made the right choice.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

lol I bet it was HOT, or better yet, as someone said RUN... lol you would never see the title...
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue