Spyder Garage

Default whats the best time of year to sell?

Hi folks!
    About a month or so ago, I put up my Spyder for sale on FB marketplace and got quite a few interests and one deal that fell through on my part.. (trying to sell a vehicle that has a lien to a private party is a pain) I recently decided to sell it again, so I paid off the lien and listed it on FB again as well as Craigslist. I have gotten not one person who has contacted me. The ryding season is (sort of) coming to an end so I am kinda thinking that is the reason, but there's still plenty of season left to ryde, so i don't know why there is such a difference in a little over a month. Back then,, a buddy of mine who works at a Spyder dealer told me I would have no problem selling it and could probably get more for it than what I was asking, but I guess he was incorrect.

So, what is the best time of year to sell? Any other advice?

Thanks!
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best time of year to sell? Not sure there is one. Part of the problem is that there are still alot of people out of work due to the coronavirus. I've had a beautiful 2014 Kawasaki Nomad (with new tires, ECR upgrade, etc) for sale @ just over 1/2 KBB value since about February. I live in NC where riding season is almost year round, too. I've had a couple bites like you have but nothing solid. Like you, I owe so it's kind of an iffy situation for a private sale unless someone is local.

I wish you the best, bro.

HAGO!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Best time of year to sell? Not sure there is one. Part of the problem is that there are still alot of people out of work due to the coronavirus. I've had a beautiful 2014 Kawasaki Nomad (with new tires, ECR upgrade, etc) for sale @ just over 1/2 KBB value since about February. I live in NC where riding season is almost year round, too. I've had a couple bites like you have but nothing solid. Like you, I owe so it's kind of an iffy situation for a private sale unless someone is local.

I wish you the best, bro.

HAGO!
    about the virus thing & money ..... I see you live in Va. .... so you have a way longer riding season than me in Vt..... I think prime time for you would be in March .......... good luck .... Mike ............PS what type of Spyder are you selling ?????

Spyder Garage

Price is also an important factor is "most" cases. Those who try to get paid for farkles are usually in for a rude surprise.

Price between trade in and private party sale is usually the hot spot.

People are buying regardless of the times. We have 75+ new 2020 RT's posted as being purchased on an ongoing thread.

Good luck with your sale. I would not quit just yet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Every market is different and every sale unique. You have to have some some patience. If your bike is priced right, in good condition and you have maintenance and service records, there is a buyer out there just looking for it. I advertised my RTL on this forum last October. It was a good bike with lots of good upgrades. But I didn't have ANY response. So after a few weeks I advertised it locally on Craig's List and it sold at my asking price in less than 12 hours and the money was in the bank and bike gone in 18 hours. I don't think there is a good or bad time of year. Most of us bikers are always looking and dreaming of the next great ride regardless of the time of year. Assess your asking price and have patience. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. I guess its a good thing because I'm not quite sure that I want to sell it anyway. Maybe I'm asking too much? Its a 2019 F3-S Special Series Liquid Titanium with about 3500 miles on it (not the one in my signature) . Its in perfect condition and garage kept. Without me saying what I'm asking for it, what do you guys think is a reasonable price for it?
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Price definitely has a functional relationship in moving vehicles to sale - but I'm going to go out on a limb and unscientifically say that spring is the "bestest" time to sell. That's the time everybody get's the 'itch' to ride after a winter of hibernation. It might allow you to catch a 5% percent premium over the other seasons.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I guess its a good thing because I'm not quite sure that I want to sell it anyway. Maybe I'm asking too much? Its a 2019 F3-S Special Series Liquid Titanium with about 3500 miles on it (not the one in my signature) . Its in perfect condition and garage kept. Without me saying what I'm asking for it, what do you guys think is a reasonable price for it?
    It might be hard for someone else to value your bike. I am trying to sell my late nephew's 2019 mustang with over $18k worth of mods on a $45k car. The car only has 3800 miles and I have gotten offers of $30k (not even what a stock used one would cost). We are asking $42,500 OBO, but a min. of $40k.
    But, since you did ask for a price, I would say that your bike is worth between $15-16k. That is keeping in mind what a new one or leftover 2019 would cost. GLWS.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Kelly blue books always been my go to, because unless your paying cash some banks may bock on you if you are over it by to much!! The extras are worth some thing but I would not try to get it all back, you may be sitting on it a while!! P.S. Face it, you don't want to sell it any way, you own it now!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Face it, you don't want to sell it any way, you own it now!!!
    You got it! I'm not really sure I want to sell it anyway. I really do love it, but I just don't ryde it as much as i used to and I just bought a new truck and almost cannot justify the additional expense of the Spyder.
    SpyderSkeets
    Ashburn, VA
    2017 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I advertised my 2018 10th Anniversary RTL and Aluma trailer on this forum and Cycle Trader (just used the free ad with 4 pictures) throughout the spring and summer. You just have to relist on Cycle Trader every two weeks with the free option. I got a few bites early on and sold my trailer quickly. Being what it is, I was asking a bit of a premium for my Spyder and, like you and not being anxious to sell, waited patiently. Then, in the last month, I got all kinds of inquiries, especially off of Cycle Trader. I just sold the Spyder at asking price this week. At the time of sale, I had three others on a waiting list in case the deal fell through. I would definitely give Cycle Trader a try.