Spyder Garage

Default 2008 Sypder GS Front Pulley found like this

First off, I would like to thank all the people here as I used this site to get on the road earlier. New Bad Boy air horn, wired up correctly and still works strong. LED lights, installed using advice found here.
    Rear brakes pads replacement and park brake adjustment both done, and air filter and oil changed done as well.

Switched out the back tire as it was worn and was able to reinstall and align the belt properly , drove the bike for about 300km. Went out to take it for another rip, and found this. Initially began the day trying to align the belt using the tension adjustment 8mm allens at the rear. would not straighten out so moved up the bike and found this. See attached pic. Thankfully the bolt was lying there in the plastic but now I can NOT get the bolt to screw back in. I was going to use thread locker but again, cant seem to get it to bite.

Thoughts?

Have I fluffed up the inner shaft of the front drive pulley? Is that a thing.
    yes I used a 36mm socket and made the front pulley flush again.image0.jpg

Spyder Garage

You need a new pulley & bolt at least.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...rocket-Failure
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

While on the subject of the front pulley, I have questions..........
    + Can the pulley bolt be removed and replaced just by having the parking brake on and using the belt to hold the pulley?
    + My shop manual calls for a torque of 92 lb-ft for the bolt. I recall mention here of a revised torque. If so, what is it?
    + Once the bolt is removed and the belt released, does the pulley simply slip off, or is a puller needed?
    TIA
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

1 - yes, but if the park brake doesn't hold get an assistant to apply the foot brake.

2 - 110ftlb as I recall, which is what I use.

3 - yes, but only if undamaged or not badly damaged. Some folks have needed a puller of some sort to remove a badly damaged pulley.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Freddy. Although I have but 4K miles, with many more to come before hibernation, I have added to my winter project list to remove the front pulley and apply Moly grease to the splines.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

UPDATE UPDATE Upon further inspection the bolt holding the drive pulley onto the drive spindle did in fact crack somewhere along the way home from our last big trip. I AM SOME LUCKY. (Thanks Baby Jesus multiple times)
    Again thank full to the advice of the many people here and was able to AVOID a trip to the stealership for a pocket draining experience. Drilled out the broken bolt, and was able to re secure using thread locker and of course new bolt. Allowing thread locker to lock over night and will align belt and rear tire tmrw and test drive slowly and in small spurts.image0 (2).jpg

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dingleballzz View Post
    UPDATE UPDATE Upon further inspection the bolt holding the drive pulley onto the drive spindle did in fact crack somewhere along the way home from our last big trip. I AM SOME LUCKY. (Thanks Baby Jesus multiple times)
    Again thank full to the advice of the many people here and was able to AVOID a trip to the stealership for a pocket draining experience. Drilled out the broken bolt, and was able to re secure using thread locker and of course new bolt. Allowing thread locker to lock over night and will align belt and rear tire tmrw and test drive slowly and in small spurts.image0 (2).jpg
    Question - have YOU ever tightened that bolt, prior to finding broken ????? ..... If not I think you have a CLAIM for damages ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Not on a 12yo trike I'd say. You're a lucky person DBZ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    While on the subject of the front pulley, I have questions..........
    + Once the bolt is removed and the belt released, does the pulley simply slip off, or is a puller needed?
    TIA
    That's a really good question...I've worked on a bike where the sprocket was in the early stages of rusting, no way was I able to get that sprocket to move using hand pressure or levers. It was dry and I expected it to just slide off since it was a little worn. So off to the get the puller but before I did I scooshed down the splines with WD40. 10 seconds later it just slid right off. Still puzzles me to this day what was actually going on down those splines that were so firmly fixed that a drop of solvent could release.

If it's stuck, give it some release agent before you get out the heavy duty stuff, you might be equally lucky!
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

WD-40 is OK, but Liquid Wrench is much more effective as a penetrate. The best penetrate by far is a home make brew of 50/50 tranny fluid and acetone.

Spyder Garage

See this problem twice posted in the last week. Those bolts are not staying in place and the damage can be serious if the interior parts were damage. Good luck. The inside threds may have been deformed with the heat generated by the pulley wobling on the axle for at least 300 miles????
    Last edited by Oldtimer51; 10-20-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling correcctions