Spyder Garage

Default Less impressed with my dealer than I was.

Funnfast St. John’s, NL, CA

In early July I made a service appointment for today, for the first service on my RTL. Brought it in when they opened, 9am. While we were there my wife text-rode a Ryker, and we reached a deal for our 2nd Spyder. That’s the good side.

I took today off work to deal with the service, and picking it up when done. I just called (3pm) to check on it and was told it wouldn’t be finished today. The service person was truly helpful, and agreed to stay late tomorrow so I could pick it up after work.

I have no issue with the salesperson, the parts person, or the service advisor, as all behaved respectfully and helpfully. I do have a level of irritation from the dealership being unable to meet the reasonable expectation of completing a First Service appointment in 1 day, when the machine was there at the start of the day.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

You have a legitimate beef. Don't burn any bridges, but, I would let the management know of your disappointment. Maybe it will help the next time around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ARtraveler is right. Staffing issues are sometimes unpredictable. Kindly ask and you may get a reasonable answer.

Spyder Garage

When I took my 2019 F3L in for it's first service I also had a pre-arranged appointment. They kept it for almost ten days, stored outside during the rainy season in Florida. I was so PO'ed I just took it home and have never been back. Not saying I wouldn't buy another Spyder from them but I wouldn't use their service dept under any circumstances.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post

In early July I made a service appointment for today, for the first service on my RTL. Brought it in when they opened, 9am. While we were there my wife text-rode a Ryker, and we reached a deal for our 2nd Spyder. That’s the good side.

I took today off work to deal with the service, and picking it up when done. I just called (3pm) to check on it and was told it wouldn’t be finished today. The service person was truly helpful, and agreed to stay late tomorrow so I could pick it up after work.

I have no issue with the salesperson, the parts person, or the service advisor, as all behaved respectfully and helpfully. I do have a level of irritation from the dealership being unable to meet the reasonable expectation of completing a First Service appointment in 1 day, when the machine was there at the start of the day.
    Sounds typical of CanAm Dealers based on my experience.. I am on my third bike from two dealerships, yet to find one that cares anything about customer service once the sale is completed.

Spyder Garage

I was unimpressed with my local dealership just going down there to order the new Spyder, 2 months before it ever got there. Just talking to them, it was obvious they had no clue what they were talking about. I had already downloaded a copy of the maintenance manual, read it all at least once and parts of it several times, in order to decide if I wanted to buy the Spyder. I had looked up all the information on the used and unsold new Spyders they had on the showroom floor there. They kept telling me things that were very wrong and the sales person didn't even know what he had on the floor. Once I picked the new Spyder up and went over it after unloading at home, I have never been back to the dealership. I have tried to order some parts from them twice, but found they had a longer waiting time than Amazon and Cheap Cycle Parts. The only way the Spyder will ever go back to them is if there is a factory recall or a warranty replacement of something.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post

I have learned over the years that the " service dept." and the " sales dept. " never communicate with the other dept. .... It's almost like they arn't even in the same company,.... Mike

Spyder Garage

There are some good dealer shops around however, just few and far between. I'm sure that many of you follow Shawn Smoak on YouTube as I do. Now if he was within driving distance of me I wouldn't hesitate to take my Spyder to him. Unfortunately, qualified Spyder techs at his level are also few and far between. JMHO.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

At my first dealer the service was terrible. Called for an appointment to bring it in for what I thought was a warranty repair. How about Monday morning was the response. I brought it in first thing Monday morning. I asked if I could see the work order and if they wanted me to sign it. The response was that it had not been filled out yet. On Thursday I called asking about it. Response was they had not looked at it yet. I mentioned that I had made an appoint and it should have been looked at almost right away. He explained for the first time it was first come first serve and there really was no appointments. Another week went by and I called again. They told me it was fixed. I went right away and picked it up. Thick layer of dust on it from being parked in a gravel lot. Still no work order was done. Took it for a drive. Problem still there. Went back and bypassed the service writer and talked to the mechanic. Asked him what he had done. It had nothing to do with my complaint. I loaded up my Spyder. When I got home one of the first things I did was download a service manual. Fixed it myself.

Second dealer. They were very good and friendly. They had a couple of busy seasons but would explain if they where busy or not when I would book an appointment. Filled out a work order everytime. So the mechanic would know what to do and often had a chance to talk to the mechanic directly. Good service. Except when they washed my Spyder they took the GPS off first. Got water in the mount. Took a couple days to dry out and it was fine. They were cutoff as a Spyder dealer because they did not sell enough Spyders. So new dealer again.

Third dealer. Very big dealer. Comfy waiting room with Kuerig coffee maker, bottled water in the fridge, wifi. Filled out a detailed work order. The mechanic would come from the back if he had a question. Every time I had service done it was complete and appeared to done well. The Spyder was washed every time. They are a good dealer. Just wish they where less than 1 1/2 hrs drive away.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Very interesting posts. With 13 motorcycles in the last 40 years, no H-D though, I have never had to deal with motorcycles dealer service departments except couples yeas ago I took the wheels of my Vstar1300 and have the dealer install two new tires. They actually charged me for the little weights they put on the wheels, weird.
    A Can-am dealer here tried to get the heat shield kit and fuel filter to remedy the recall issue on my 2013 RTL. The problem is fixed now but not too impress with the service department.
    Cheers.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dealer in Eutis FL has so far been great, unusual I know. I ride 70 miles one way to get service. I can call these guys and they are patient and take the time answer my questions. I can talk with the general manager at any time and feel comfortable. That may change over time, but right now, that's a good feeling. I recently visited a dealer in Brandon, FL because it was much closer and convenient, big mistake.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Our local Spyder Ryder chapter president's son works for the local Can-Am dealer. He reports all powersports dealers around the country are unbelievably busy, apparently due to Covid-19. Service is backed up as much as two months for all vehicles, not just Spyders.

My brother is in the process of buying a used RTL. He is finding that used Spyders are selling within a few days of being listed on Craigslist. An Oregon auction house that normally has 200 motorcycles for sale is down to about 20.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My neighbor went shopping for a new pickup. One of the dealers he spoke to said they normally have 250 in stock to look at. They now only have 30. Friend of mine installs swimming pools. He is booked for this year and most of next year. Contractors cannot get Pressure treated lumber of any kind. So if you want a new deck. Not going to happen anytime soon. It goes on and on.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Just got back from a planned 2 week cage trip (New Explorer ST, hadda drive it), we left MN and found out that all the H-D's and a lot of other bikes came early to SW SD. Eventually my wife said take me home, get me outta here (this is a week before Sturgis). I love Cycles and there were just too many of them misbehaving already.
    BUT back to dealership issues. Before the trip I called the dealership I've trusted for a while in Red Wing, MN to do a list of checks, Remove and Replace, and install parts I had planned to install myself this year, but time got away from me. We dropped it off last Friday with a bunch of aftermarket stuff i'd bought, a list of ten different jobs I wanted done, and the expectation that the Spider wouldn't be ready until mid august. On our way back east on I-94 got a call from the Service manager that it was all done and they only had issue with the ride height after installing the new front Shocks. I asked them to attempt to max out the static ride height, if they could. They were VERY sure it would be ready today if that was the case and just called to let me know it's ready to go. So if you've found a Service Department you're not happy with, keep looking. This was my third or fourth within 60 miles before I found the one I'm happy with.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    So if you've found a Service Department you're not happy with, keep looking. This was my third or fourth within 60 miles before I found the one I'm happy with.
    Good advice, but the next nearest dealership is 800km (500 mi)

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    showchrome trunk rack,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

Farkles
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up

Spyder Garage

Now I feel much better. Service called to say it would be ready this afternoon.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    showchrome trunk rack,
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

Farkles
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Side bag
    Top bag

Spyder Garage

Got it back. Setting the belt tension seems to have fixed the vibration I was picking up at 110kmh

Very pleased, still miffed with the delay, but quality work done.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    showchrome trunk rack,
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

Farkles
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Side bag
    Top bag