Spyder Garage

Default Garmin Observation

Like many, I've owned numerous Garmin sat navs over the years including both Nuvi's and Zumo's, eight to be exact. Bought my first one about twenty-five years ago and just kept upgrading through the years. Although I occasionally use Sygic Maps with BRP Connect, I also have a Garmin permanently mounted on my F3L.

Made an astounding observation a few days ago. All of the Garmin's I've owned had the typical matt finish on the display screen, including numerous Nuvi's and the 660 Zumo i had, save one !, an older model Nuvi 2589LMT.

As we all know, the matt finish on the Garmin display screens becomes somewhat hard to see in the sunlight. Well, the Nuvi 2589LMT has what appears to be a glass display screen (at least as glossy as the screen on my Samsung Galaxy smart phone). It may be some short of polycarbonate but it shines like glass and the sun has absolutely no effect on it. Even in direct sunlight the display is crystal clear with the brightness turned up all the way. Hard to believe I know, but true none-the-less. I've never seen any other Garmin's with this glass type display screen although there may be some. I've looked into another Zumo but just can't justify spending that kind of money to get something with a few more program options and weather resistant. So this 2589LMT with it's glossy screen and lifetime maps has become my sat nav of choice. Definitely something to look into if you're considering purchasing an older used Garmin on Ebay.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I presently have 3 Garmins. 2 Nuvis & a Zumo 660.
    Just looked at my Nuvi 2589LMT and it has the glass like screen you describe.
    I will use it on my Spyder & see how it is in direct sunlight. Have always kept the Nuvis for use in my cars.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the observation. I don't have a dedicated GPS on my Spyder, but I'm thinking of getting one. The Garmin site shows this as a discontinued model. Amazon however still shows the 5 inch model available (15 in stock).

Cheers
    Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone buy one from Ebay? If so were you satisfied? Ebay prices are right, but Amazon so easy to return if dissatisfied.

Spyder Garage

I also have the Nuvi 2589LMT. I now use the Garmin DriveSmart 55 with backup camera. The camera is easier on the neck, works pretty good too. It has lines just like the car cameras. If it fails, back to the 2589LMT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Anyone buy one from Ebay? If so were you satisfied? Ebay prices are right, but Amazon so easy to return if dissatisfied.
    Yes, I've bought a few used Garmin's from Ebay sellers in the $20-$30 range. I always made sure to get one with Lifetime Maps (LM designation after model number). Never had a bad one and always been able to update on Garmin Express. Recently bought a really nice condition Nuvi 55LM for my son, paid $20 with free shipping - works great and updated successfully. On the other hand, used Zumo's are still rather pricey if you can even find one.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I've had Garmin combo depth/GPS units in addition to Radars on my boats. They are waterproof. Take direct hosing. The screens get MORE visible in direct sunlight. The colors become more vivid. The definition is very much clearer in direct sunlight. I don't know the technology that causes the difference. Sure wish whatever it is would be applied to MC units. I know the marine units cost more but I would pay more for one I could actually see in the daylight..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I've had Garmin combo depth/GPS units in addition to Radars on my boats. They are waterproof. Take direct hosing. The screens get MORE visible in direct sunlight. The colors become more vivid. The definition is very much clearer in direct sunlight. I don't know the technology that causes the difference. Sure wish whatever it is would be applied to MC units. I know the marine units cost more but I would pay more for one I could actually see in the daylight..... Jim
    The backing behind the LCD displays are semi-reflective in these types of units. Basically, sunlight behaves like a backlight making it easier to see the display. Perfect for marine applications.

Spyder Garage

I have the same Garmin (I don't have the Spyder yet, but I'm looking to get an RTL very soon). How do you attach it to the Spyder? I know they push the Zumo, but I really don't want to spend that much when I already have a GPS.

Spyder Garage

I made a sun screen ( hood) for my 660LM. Oorks great. It's been dropped and well packed , still doing it's job.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Cool GPS mounting

Quote Originally Posted by Rwjearle View Post
    I have the same Garmin (I don't have the Spyder yet, but I'm looking to get an RTL very soon). How do you attach it to the Spyder? I know they push the Zumo, but I really don't want to spend that much when I already have a GPS.
    I copied JT's dash mount and use a Ram ball, X grip, and extension arm. Puts the GPS above the dash board in EASY view unlike some which have you looking down ( off the road) to see it.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow