Spyder Garage

Default FS-S turn off traction control

Maybe it's just my Spyder, but It seems when you turn off VSS/traction control, it also changes the engine mapping/response. Mine seems a little quicker with the systems turned off. Is this true? The manual doesn't say, in fact all it says is how to enter "sport mode".

Spyder Garage

I got this from a dealer technical presentation . Sports mode doesn't increase power or throttle response it relaxes vss parameters in first and low second gear drift progressively reduces up to 44 mph above 44 mph or in higher gear than second sport mode has no affect on standard vss parameters. It feels faster because traction control isn't limiting power in first and low second gear
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic

Spyder Garage

If you have the passenger seat installed, you have to block off the seat button or putting it in Sport Mode does not turn off traction control. If you have the sport fairing instead of the passenger seat, the traction control will go off in Sport Mode.

There will be an icon on the gauge panel for Traction Control Off.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I have my passenger seat on, but the icon lights up when I defeat VSS (Sport Mode). So I believe it's working..?

Spyder Garage

VSS stands for the Vehicle Stability System, and that is ALWAYS ON, even in Sport Mode. It's just that in Sport Mode, the VSS reaction to 'over-speed' by the rear wheel is reduced somewhat, especially when the vehicle speed or 'road' speed (as opposed to simple rear wheel speed) is under about 40mph.

So yeah, Terry, your VSS indicator may well light up when you have the pillion seat fitted or even a pillion aboard.... that's just the 'Nanny' stepping in to keep you safe. It should step in less often without a pillion aboard; and if you have the rear cowling fitted instead of the seat, you can't depress the pillion switch under the seat that increases VSS sensitivity, so that is meant to force it into the 'shouldn't step in quite so often' condition.... IIRC the switch under the seat that tells the VSS you've got a pillion aboard is only activated when it's depressed by something over 15-20 pounds weight.

The VSS will still step in & light up that light occasionally when you have Sport Mode selected, but once again, that should happen less often than when Sport Mode is off.

Rykers tho, their 'Sport Mode' is disbled when you flip out the pillion foot rests, so if you want to hoon a Ryker with a pillion aboard...... no, I didn't say that!! Just don't hoon with a pillion aboard, OK?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-07-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerrySpyder View Post
    I have my passenger seat on, but the icon lights up when I defeat VSS (Sport Mode). So I believe it's working..?
    Yes its working if you try and activate sport mode with the passenger seat switch activated the VSS icon will flash three times indicating sport mode is unavailable.if the passenger seat switch is activated while in sport mode sport mode is disabled.
    2017 f3-s daytona , circuit yellow metallic