Spyder Garage

Default After Switched Power for GPS - Any reason not to use gas/temp gauge power?

Hello,

I'm moving my GPS to above the dashboard on my 2017 RTL. Last step is to power the unit. Looks like attaching the GPS leads to either the gas or temp gauge would be pretty easy. Any reason not to? Don't want to awaken any "undocumented features." Thanks in advance for any help. I would hope the gauges have labeled their pos and neg terminals.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-20-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Default GPS Power

No luck with this post in the RT - Touring Forum, thought I'd try here.

I'm moving my GPS (Zumo XT) to above the dashboard on my 2017 RTL. Last step is to power the unit. Looks like attaching the GPS leads to either the gas or temp gauge would be pretty easy. Any reason not to? Don't want to awaken any "undocumented features." Thanks in advance for any help. I would hope the gauges have labeled their pos and neg terminals.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So let me take a shot at this, there should be a GPS wire already on the right side to plug into. I'm not sure about the 2017 dash but I don't think the gages will have enough power for the GPS. So maybe someone can tell you more about the 2017 GPS wire location on the right side if you are using a Garmin.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

At the risk of being a dummy (never bothered me before), does the right side mean when sitting on the Spyder?

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes always when sitting on bike. But wait for someone that knows more about the 2017, I know the older model RTL had the GPS wired on the right side and when you used that for power & audio it would come through the radio speakers also. I did look at some older post on the 2017 and they talked about just using blue tooth & Phone GPS. I know Lamonster has some power ports for GPS setups also. I'm hope someone will chip in with some insight on how to get this done.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just so I fully disclose all relevant data, I play my music and get voice commands wirelessly through a Sena 20S.