Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Connect - what are the approved apps?

Well after hitting a deer with my RTL, I got tired of waiting and missing the riding season, so I put a deposit on a 2020 RT Limited today and hope to pick it up this week.

My question is about BRP connect and the approved apps. I see that Cardo but not a Sena app. Is it possible to make the Sena app accessible on the connect screen?

What is the preferred map program that i used? I see complaints and praises both about Genius, has anyone tried Sygic, and if so what is the verdict?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

It is not possible to get the Sena app to work. The developer of the app needs to make it compatible with BRP Connect. However, you can still use a Sena headset with the bike. I have my Sena 20S paired and it works well. As far as mapping programs, I own both Genius and Sygic. My preference as of now is Sygic. It seems to be more stable IMO.

Spyder Garage

So, not trying to hijack a thread, but I am curious about the navigation apps with BRP-C. How does this work...you download either the Genius or Sygic app to your phone, plug phone into the cord in the glovebox, and the app shows up on the instrument cluster, kinda like a cheap version of Apple Car Play?

It would be nice if BRP offered a hard drive based navigation system. I know they cannot update live, but they seem to work better. I have one in my car and GW.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    So, not trying to hijack a thread, but I am curious about the navigation apps with BRP-C. How does this work...you download either the Genius or Sygic app to your phone, plug phone into the cord in the glovebox, and the app shows up on the instrument cluster, kinda like a cheap version of Apple Car Play?

It would be nice if BRP offered a hard drive based navigation system. I know they cannot update live, but they seem to work better. I have one in my car and GW.
    I have a hard drive based system on the Cadillac, Lexus, and the Ram pickup. They work good but so cost a lot to update, almost $400 on the Lexus, $200 on the Cadillac, and I have not updated the Ram yet. The weather and traffic on the Cadillac requires an XM radio subscription, it was not available at all on the Lexus. It is sometimes easier to link the phone to the Cadillac VIA Bluetooth and follow the phone when in busy cities.
    I also like the instant construction and traffic jam updates on the phone.
    The Garmin 590 that came with the 2015 had lifetime maps and traffic, that did work very good, but the traffic and weather was based off of the Garmin Smart phone link that you had to buy a subscription to.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Neither Sygic nor Genius Maps is cheap. $75-95. Buy the app and maps along with vehicle connectivity fee. Download the BRP Connect app and it will show you a list of apps some of which are quirky as the Connect app needs updating. Youtube has a lot of videos about it. There is a BRP Connect User Group on Facebook.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    I have a hard drive based system on the Cadillac, Lexus, and the Ram pickup. They work good but so cost a lot to update, almost $400 on the Lexus, $200 on the Cadillac, and I have not updated the Ram yet. The weather and traffic on the Cadillac requires an XM radio subscription, it was not available at all on the Lexus. It is sometimes easier to link the phone to the Cadillac VIA Bluetooth and follow the phone when in busy cities.
    I also like the instant construction and traffic jam updates on the phone.
    The Garmin 590 that came with the 2015 had lifetime maps and traffic, that did work very good, but the traffic and weather was based off of the Garmin Smart phone link that you had to buy a subscription to.
    Both our cars have it. I never used one before I got my GW last summer. The GW guys say its useless, and while it is a little buggy and far from perfect, it gets the job done. Our two cars have XM and so does the bike, so traffic updates are no issue. We rarely drive in traffic anyway, so I am not sure I would need it.

The updates are pricey, but you only have to spend the $$ every few years unless you live in a rapidly expanding area. The GW is a 2016, so the Nav software is probably circa 2015, and I have only seen it be inaccurate a few times.

One of the major advantages of an integrated navigation system is that they do not require a data signal (I know you can download Google Maps in advance), and on a bike, you don't have to remove the unit every time you park somewhere and are worried it might get swiped. This is why I would be interested in what BRP map/navigation apps are available and how well they work. I may be exchanging the GW for a Spyder RT next year. There, I said it.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Both our cars have it. I never used one before I got my GW last summer. The GW guys say its useless, and while it is a little buggy and far from perfect, it gets the job done. Our two cars have XM and so does the bike, so traffic updates are no issue. We rarely drive in traffic anyway, so I am not sure I would need it.

The updates are pricey, but you only have to spend the $$ every few years unless you live in a rapidly expanding area. The GW is a 2016, so the Nav software is probably circa 2015, and I have only seen it be inaccurate a few times.

One of the major advantages of an integrated navigation system is that they do not require a data signal (I know you can download Google Maps in advance), and on a bike, you don't have to remove the unit every time you park somewhere and are worried it might get swiped. This is why I would be interested in what BRP map/navigation apps are available and how well they work. I may be exchanging the GW for a Spyder RT next year. There, I said it.
    I'm satisfied with Genius Maps. It works fairly well. There are some minor things here and there, but most of it is related to the fact that it has to run on the right side Spyder display, and has only the joy-button for input - which is a challenge for *any* app, to be honest. Within those parameters - it's great. I usually set up my trip on my smartphone itself. When I'm on the Spyder, I simply just select the trip I've already made and we're off.

Some folks prefer to use a Garmin. You'd get a larger display with a touch screen interface, but you'd have to muck up the spyder's clean lines with a mount and wiring and all that. Plus, you really don't want to be playing with the Garmin while you're driving anyway - the spyder isn't something you take your eyes off the road for anything other than a momentary glance.

Spyder Garage

Does the Genius app serve as a "rolling map" while you are riding without a destination selected? Since I have been riding my STS, I really miss having an active map in front of me. I have found so many roads off the main routes that I never would have taken without the navigation map display on my GW
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5