Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Rather than beat up BRP on the fire issue, I would rather have BRP resolve the surge cause by their sofware update, post haste... I think they caused more of an issue the the Percentage factor of fires.
    Just an ole man's opinion..

Another old man's opinion

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by krb1945 View Post
    fords and as I recall Ford got off their collective butts and issued a recall and installed a fused wire harness. I know this to be fact because three of mine were in the recall and ford recalled quickly.

Where as... it is a known fact that many of these spyders have fuel lines, oil lines and electrical wires touching or within fractions of an inch of the exhaust manifold and several have fuel lines rubbing on the cylinder heads and other areas. Oh... by the way two of the three spyders I own are in this catagory.

And as of this date I have neither seen or heard anything out of BRP via the dealer or direct mail advising me or any one else to check machines for these deficiencies or that they would modify them to correct a major safety defect.

I fixed mine myself because I did not want to burn the garage, house or my spyders and goldwings.

Anyone that doesn't think fuel, oil and electrical on or near exhaust headers, cylinders heads or cylinders needs to revisit their high school for an update on the science of heat transference or melting points for rubber. Or do they still teach science in high school these days?

Now I'll get off my soap box.
    Ford's real problem was that they knew they could catch fire - and went with a cheaper tank and straps anyway. Their numbers people actually calculated how many deaths they should have and figured out how much that would run them as compared to going with better tanks and parts.

This went on for quite some time. Ford also did the same thing regarding rear seatbelts in some models that didn't have shoulder harnesses.

Sad that they can so quickly put a number on how many lives is worth X amount of money instead of fixing a product.

BRP has dealt with fire issues before--- so I'm a bit shocked this one slipped by them---

Time will tell.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't know if letting BRP go, on this is right or wrong. We have talked about Ford & thier problems and there are other companies that have had problems and do nothing about it unless they have (forced) to.
    Here is just an example that happened to me involving a Pacemaker. The pacemaker co. knew they had bad pacemaker leads but went ahead and let it on the market anyway. They addmitted it in the news paper as well as on TV.
    The pacemaker co. stated they would rather absorb the law suits; it would be cheaper than totally remanufacture (correct) the problem. Yes I sued and I won.
    So co's. don't necessarly automaticlly fix problems on thier own. And there was some that died because of this.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I really don't think we should let BRP off the hook so easily because until it happens to one of you guys/gals you really wouldn't know the sh*tty feeling that I have toward this company. My only two months old caught fire and the only thing BRP could say is their might have been a foriegn object that caused the fire. WTF. But needless to say they wouldn't take the blame for this so called foriegn object. Being that I saved my for the most part one would think these guys would have personally come and take a look to see what may be causing the fires to prevent future fires, but what did they do? Have the dealer send them pictures as if the picture could give them a clear eye's view!!! And you guys want to wait it out.

On the other hand BRP is willing to fix my two month old but have no idea what to fix inorder to prevent the fire, it figures... And they expect me to take it back. Then my insurance company (progressive) won't get involved due to the fact that it is manufacture defect ain't that bout a b*tch. So now I'm on my last leg with these guys and looking into legal help.

Don't mean to step on anyone toes!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Rather than beat up BRP on the fire issue, I would rather have BRP resolve the surge cause by their sofware update, post haste... I think they caused more of an issue the the Percentage factor of fires.
    Just an ole man's opinion..
    Ho Boy
    Now the update is causing problem!
    Jeesh, I got to stop reading this and just ride.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Confusing and frustrating mess

Bun-1, I hope this mess gets to a happy ending for you - soon. It sounds to me like you have already gone through more than enough grief.

I find your insurance agents response of "manufacture defect" strange. Do you know what they based that on? The fire could have been lots of things. A faulty part ( not a manufacturing defect ), the service tech could have left a foreign and combustible object, like an oily rag, in the engine compartment, maybe they disconnected something and missed connecting it or capping it off correctly. And yes, it could be a manufacturing defect - but how do they know? What is their proof? If they are denying you coverage based on that, I would think they would have to tell you what the defect is. Is that even in your policy as something that they will not cover? At least they didn't say that they consider it was an act of God or the opening rounds of a War with Canada.

I am no expert, but I think that for the parties involved (including you) this is a matter of Loss Of Property. Progressive is there (given the terms of your contract) to insure your loss of property. Your dealer is there to service your property in a way that will insure its condition to specification and road-worthiness. BRP made the product/property. And you have suffered a loss of property. Each of you have other factors that will effect your approach. If that sounds cold or overly calculating and lacking in "fairness" - it is, but I think that is the way it is. It may help if you think about it in these terms - which I know is easier said than done.

I thought about what you said about "if this happened to me - I would feel different". I would be disappointed, frustrated, and angry. But, I would take BRP up on their offer to fix the Spyder and bring it back to the same condition it was when it caught on fire. I would also ask that they warranty the repairs by including the Best Extended Warranty.

I come from a background of Automobile Body Shops owned by my family. I never owned a "new" vehicle until I was in my late 30s - so my MGs, Volkswagens, Porches and so on, were all restored from wrecks and fires. They were all great and I never had a problem with them. So my perspective is fix it and enjoy it. I understand if you do not feel the same way. If you cannot get to that frame of mind, then work to get your money back from your lost property - hopefully at an amount you will feel that you are properly compensated for your loss.

I hope you are able to get to that place soon, whichever path you take.

Tom

( and if Progressive ever comes up with what the manufacturing defect is, I hope you will share it with SpyderLovers )
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[quote=Tom in NM;133205]
    I thought about what you said about "if this happened to me - I would feel different". I would be disappointed, frustrated, and angry. But, I would take BRP up on their offer to fix the Spyder and bring it back to the same condition it was when it caught on fire. I would also ask that they warranty the repairs by including the Best Extended Warranty.

I think I'd be a fool getting back on the same spyder knowing that it is defective and the manufacture nor the dealer can diagnose the problem to fix. Anyway I bought a new bike and I think replacing my bike with a new one is more than reasonable considering the fact my current bike could be used to research and diagnose the problem for the safety of all spyder owners.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bun-1 View Post
    I really don't think we should let BRP off the hook so easily because until it happens to one of you guys/gals you really wouldn't know the sh*tty feeling that I have toward this company. My only two months old caught fire and the only thing BRP could say is their might have been a foriegn object that caused the fire. WTF. But needless to say they wouldn't take the blame for this so called foriegn object. Being that I saved my for the most part one would think these guys would have personally come and take a look to see what may be causing the fires to prevent future fires, but what did they do? Have the dealer send them pictures as if the picture could give them a clear eye's view!!! And you guys want to wait it out.

On the other hand BRP is willing to fix my two month old but have no idea what to fix inorder to prevent the fire, it figures... And they expect me to take it back. Then my insurance company (progressive) won't get involved due to the fact that it is manufacture defect ain't that bout a b*tch. So now I'm on my last leg with these guys and looking into legal help.

Don't mean to step on anyone toes!!!
    My fire was the first one that we knew about in this community (there were prior fires) and we had no idea there would be more. There was no evidence then of a factory defect. A fire in itself is not proof of a manufacturing defect. We will never know what caused my fire.

My insurance company (Foremost) paid off within days and I signed over my rights to pursue any claims against BRP. If there were a manufacturing defect, the insurance company would have to make the claim. They chose not to go there. This is why I have insurance.

I don't know how your insurance company can know there is a manufacturing defect. It is a moot point if BRP repairs the Spyder. In that case you have no loss on which to make a claim.

If I were you, I would let BRP repair the Spyder. If they do a good job, you will not be able to tell there ever was a fire and you will not have a claim on your insurance record.

I understand your frustration. My fire was an emtional experience for me too. At first I struggled with the question of whether I would even replace the Spyder. I was able to get past that and eleven days after the fire I took delivery of Spyder#2.

I am happy with Spyder#2, but I wish BRP would find the real cause of these fires. Until this happens I will not feel secure.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I love my Spyder, and I appreciate all the views people have expressed on this topic, BUT...

After spending $20,000 (Spyder + accessories) I should NOT have to:

sit and watch it for 30 minutes every time I finish riding waiting for it to catch fire, while riding be preoccupied with the chance it will suddenly veer off course and run me and it head-on into another vehicle or off the road into a tree, wonder when a relay will go haywire, carry spare parts, or replace parts (GPS, ground wire) on a brand-new vehicle myself.

When I picked-up my Spyder from the dealer at purchase, I jumped on and rode, just enjoying the ride, no worries. I can't say the same today.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder1026 View Post
    My fire was the first one that we knew about in this community (there were prior fires) and we had no idea there would be more. There was no evidence then of a factory defect. A fire in itself is not proof of a manufacturing defect. We will never know what caused my fire.

My insurance company (Foremost) paid off within days and I signed over my rights to pursue any claims against BRP. If there were a manufacturing defect, the insurance company would have to make the claim. They chose not to go there. This is why I have insurance.

I don't know how your insurance company can know there is a manufacturing defect. It is a moot point if BRP repairs the Spyder. In that case you have no loss on which to make a claim.

If I were you, I would let BRP repair the Spyder. If they do a good job, you will not be able to tell there ever was a fire and you will not have a claim on your insurance record.

I understand your frustration. My fire was an emtional experience for me too. At first I struggled with the question of whether I would even replace the Spyder. I was able to get past that and eleven days after the fire I took delivery of Spyder#2.

I am happy with Spyder#2, but I wish BRP would find the real cause of these fires. Until this happens I will not feel secure.
    so my question to you is what will they repair other than what they can tell is burn. So the problem still could possibly exsist and I could possibly get hurt this time. I'm sure if they were so certain that they can fix it and assure that it would be safe they wouldn't mind taking it back and replacing it. They could use it as a demo but why burn a potential customer when they already burnt me . My point is how do you fix a problem that has yet to be diagnosed due to the fact that they could not send a BRP tech down to identify the problem since the bike was saved.

Spyder Garage

I think I'd be a fool getting back on the same spyder knowing that it is defective and the manufacture nor the dealer can diagnose the problem to fix. Anyway I bought a new bike and I think replacing my bike with a new one is more than reasonable considering the fact my current bike could be used to research and diagnose the problem for the safety of all spyder owners.
    Bun-1, I think your feelings are completely understandable. When everything is said and done, your level of happiness is what you live with, nobody else.

As for feeling like a fool, I know I wouldn't, but what I feel is not important. I have done plenty of things where I ended up feeling foolish. Now days, I work hard and feel successful if I think something I have done turns out to be "just adequate".

And thanks for keeping the rest of us Spyder riders in mind. I for one, am keeping you in mind and hoping you get back to where you were before this all happened.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm new what's this about fires?

Just joined you all a week ago, what's this about fire. My Spyder does get hot at the area where my right leg is but we thought that was just the nature of the beast. My husbands Harley is hot too, I've always complained about it so thought this is just my motorcycles are. What causes the fires??

Spyder Garage

so my question to you is what will they repair other than what they can tell is burn. So the problem still could possibly exsist and I could possibly get hurt this time. I'm sure if they were so certain that they can fix it and assure that it would be safe they wouldn't mind taking it back and replacing it. They could use it as a demo but why burn a potential customer when they already burnt me . My point is how do you fix a problem that has yet to be diagnosed due to the fact that they could not send a BRP tech down to identify the problem since the bike was saved.
    They did not inspect my Spyder either. Mine was a total, total loss. There was nothing to look at. I wish they had inspected yours. It might tell us something. Three or four of the fires were a complete loss. Some of the partial loss fires were also so badly burned that they may not have yielded much information. Yours was probably the best one to look at because you got to the fire quickly. I cannot figure out what BRP is thinking.

When your Spyder is repaired it will be just as safe, or not safe, as another brand new one. They cannot repair the cause of the fire because it is unknown. I believe every Spyder coming off the production line has the same chance as my original Spyder had of burning to the ground. Spyder#2 is not inherently safer than Spyder#1. However, I have taken some steps to make Spyder#2 safer in my hands.

I have installed a Kuryakyn breather tank to collect the oil from the crankcase breather tube. This keeps the oil out of the airbox, and thereby, it is not being splattered all over the front of the engine. Spyder#1 had quiet a bit of oil where it should not have been (36,500 miles). This was potentially a source of fire material.

I push the gas filler nozzle down into the tank at least four to six inches. I stop filling the tank at the first shut-off. I do not try to top-off the tank. Hopefully, this will keep raw gasoline out of the carbon canister. As you can tell from reading recent posts, the carbon canister is a major, major suspect in the fires.

I intend to take further steps including possibly eliminating the carbon canister and rerouting the vent tube from the filler cap area to the ground.

I believe these steps are making me safer. I will not be comfortable, however, until BRP finds the real cause of the fires. I will be very happy to make whatever changes they recommend.

Harleys sold outside of California do not have carbon canisters. If you accidentally over fill the gas tank the excess runs down a vent tube to the ground.