Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question 2019 F3L. Front shocks....are they worth the money to install?

Question:Looking for feedback from those of you who have installed Front Shocks {Fox-or Elkas}n their machines are can honestly say it’s money well spent.
    Thanks
    Front sway bar replaced.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Well I had a 2015 F3S-SE and replace the front and rear shocks one the best upgrades you can do besides changing the Swaybar.
    I get my 2019 F3-L tomorrow and I'll be changing the shocks on it. I went with the FOX but now probably go M2 on front and my Wilbers on rear.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3S Daytona and it has Fox shocks on the front. I can only compare these to the one that were on the demo bike I rode. I can say that the Fox shocks are great, especially in the turns.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Elka or Fox front Shocks: Is it worth the money

Looking for opinions on installing FOXor Elka Shocks on my 2019 F3L: Is it worth it?
    I have installed a new sway bar with positive results.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Your stock front shocks are adjustable.
    Back is air, Up to you if u want to spend the cash.
    I have stock on my F3L. Just put BajaRon sway bar in. Absolutely love it

Spyder Garage

Put sway bar from BajaRon. Makes a world of difference in cornering
    Cheaper investment

Spyder Garage

What makes you think you need "better" shocks? I agree with bmccaffrey, unless you've installed one of Ron's sway bars you haven't seen what a lower cost investment can do for your Spyder -- in a word, lots!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

From what he's said, he has changed his sway bar, and must be looking for a little more!! The answer I will give you is yes, I think it would make a difference, and worth the money!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The heavier the rider, the more noticeable the swap to aftermarket suspension will be. My opinion, but those that have upgraded, whether ego related, fear of telling the wife it was a waste, or they truly notice an improvement, very seldom will someone complain a suspension upgrade was a bad choice. But again, lighter riders may not enjoy performance suspension as much as heavier riders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put the sway bar in from Ron when the bike was new... yes, big improvement.
    There is a dealer selling fox shocks for $500, normally $850, just wondering if it’s worth it.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your opinion is the most logical one written,thanks. Yes, weight will exercise the suspension more....making any changes more noticeable . I was looking for any folks who have performed the “upgrade” to embarrassingly say I wasted my money.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Try new tires first. For about $120 you will see a huge difference from the checkerboard weak walled Kendas. I was planning on shocks, but am not willing to spend the cash after putting on Toyo tires. I bought an AR15 instead.

ftires.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I would definately recomend to put the swaybar and feel the difference in your riding experience.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Same bike as mine

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Al View Post
    I have a 2017 F3S Daytona and it has Fox shocks on the front. I can only compare these to the one that were on the demo bike I rode. I can say that the Fox shocks are great, especially in the turns.
    I have the same model. And it handles like a dream. I wonder if converting to an Elka rear shock will improve it even more? Also, upgrading the front tires?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlanSmith7 View Post
    I would definately recomend to put the swaybar and feel the difference in your riding experience.
    Great advice, Alan.....except he says several times above that he has already done that ......

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The heavier the rider, the more noticeable the swap to aftermarket suspension will be. My opinion, but those that have upgraded, whether ego related, fear of telling the wife it was a waste, or they truly notice an improvement, very seldom will someone complain a suspension upgrade was a bad choice. But again, lighter riders may not enjoy performance suspension as much as heavier riders.
    Yeah, the Wilbers shocks made a huge difference to me as a 300+ lb rider, PMK.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Have the sway bar upgrade, M2 shocks (3) and Vredestein front / General Altimax rear tires. The sway bar is definitely worth it, tires too, not so sure about the M2s. Great shocks but unless you race it.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you gave me my answer to my question......the sway bar is indeed the biggest improvement so far.....the shock idea,I’ll save my money.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You’ve got a 100+ pounds on me......I am thinking I probably wouldn’t benefit from a shock upgrade.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    You’ve got a 100+ pounds on me......I am thinking I probably wouldn’t benefit from a shock upgrade.
    Yeah, I HAD to have a new rear shock as the F3-L was bottoming out a bit, Chris, so I figured I may as well change the fronts too. If you ride two up regularly then yes, they would be a good investment, but solo, maybe not. The Wilbers do indeed handle potholes and rough roads better, but I found Ron’s sway bar and aftermarket tyres were my best investment for comfort and cornering. I am sure you would benefit from the shock upgrade, but it is a lot of money and the stock shocks work ok.

p.s. If you use the “Reply with Quote” option, it makes it much easier to see which post you are responding to

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.