Spyder Garage

Default Road Passion oil filters

Anybody use em? 3 For aprox. 14 bucks shipped amazon.

Spyder Garage

Don't know the brand. Would go with a HIFLOFILTRO from Bajaron because I know the brand. An oil filter is something I don't go cheap on just to save a few shekels.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Even filters from really well known high quality suppliers can have a spec/performance that differs from OEM spec. (Even though the aftermarket filter company has a table that says they are compatible)
    If you wish to gamble and risk premature wear and/or a engine failure just to save a few dollars, go ahead. But personally thats a huge NOPE for me.

Spyder Garage

With both!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's close to what I pay for the OEM filters. I will stick with OEM. They seem to work fine.

Spyder Garage

I understand the sentiment for using OEM filters. Not trying to disparage that or talk anyone out of purchasing what they think best.

Though BRP filters were atrocious those first few years, they do make a quality filter now.

But the fact is, aftermarket filters do a very good job as well. Millions of miles are ridden every year with these filers. I myself sell several thousand of them each year. Have been doing so for over 10 years now. I personally use them in my Spyder and have done oil analysis with both the OEM filter and the aftermarket. Results came back virtually the same. I never want to personally vouch for a product unless I have reason to be comfortable doing so.

I agree that filters are an important component in engine protection. Good oil is only part of the equation.

My purpose is not to talk anyone into or out of something. Only to bring information to the table so people can decide for themselves. Viable options are always a good thing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Never heard of the brand. It seems likely it's one of the typical Amazon stealth companies that undercut the brands they sell.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    That's close to what I pay for the OEM filters. I will stick with OEM. They seem to work fine.
    Understood.....Where do you get OEM filters for that price? I see em for aprox. 15 bucks each.These are 14 bucks for THREE.......Shipped. TYIA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONYO View Post
    Understood.....Where do you get OEM filters for that price? I see em for aprox. 15 bucks each.These are 14 bucks for THREE.......Shipped. TYIA
    Sorry- Just rechecked-Yep and I made a mistake on the price per filter. You are right I know I get a discount but not that low..

Spyder Garage

I haven't seen any OEM's for less than 16.95, most are about $20. Considering that they are good for 9K miles, thats pretty cheap. I think Hi Flows are too, and I've used a lot of them in the past on my bikes and Can Am's, but I also tend to change at no more than 5K, often less.

Wondering around the WEB looking for Passion, seems they make some hard parts for cycles, some electrical parts, as well as a variety of filters, both can and cartridge. Might do ok for short oil changes, but I wouldn't take the chance as pricey as our machines are.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Somehow I just can't get upset over the price of an oil filter. If it cost $15.00 and you change it out every 9,000 miles that's only 0.0016 cents per mile.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi everyone
    Here is my take on OIL FILTERS, Years ago I bought a new 1964 MGB at British Motors in San Francisco, a few days after
    buying it I got a call that my Dad had died so I loaded up my bags and headed for Salt lake City for the funeral, When I got there
    I noticed that the MG had reached the mileage for it's first service so I took it into the local British Car Dealer for the warranty service
    I left the car there while I attended to the funeral and the death of my dad.
    I got a call the next day telling me the car was ready so I went there got my car stayed in Salt Lake A few more days and then started my
    return trip to San Francisco, while on good ole Hwy 80 West about 250 miles from SLC the car got hot very fast and the oil pressure
    went to ZERO, I always carry tools so I started checking, there was nothing I could do, the engine was locked up
    NO CELL PHONES way back in the 60's so had to flag down passing cars till one stopped. They went to the next town, Battle Mountain and
    sent a wrecker back for me, No Dealers out there so I got towed to Reno Nevada where there was a British car dealer.
    It was Sunday nothing open had the tow truck driver drop it in front of their door left a note with the motel 6 phone number and went to bed
    next day they called and said they would get right on it, I got a call at the motel again about 3:00PM and told to come on down and see what the
    problem was...Well as it turned out, the engine was JUNK burned up JUNK. They showed me the problem...... it was all caused by the dealer in
    Salt Lake City, they had installed a cheepo non BMC filter it was a paper filter that turned to mush and plugged up all the oil galleys and there was no oil flow
    well as it turned out I had to stay in Reno for 6 more days while they got in a new engine. the dealer in SLC had to pay for everything, the tow, the motel, the food, the repairs everything.....
    SO LONG STORY SHORT DO NOT USE CHEAP PARTS ( INCLUDING OIL FILTERS ) EVER IT IS NOT WORTH IT....
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-03-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Use OEM! Those are cheap and More isn't always better.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue