Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I didn't think this could happen !!!

Went for a drive to get some .... and was slowly driving around a lake ( 20 mph ) when a chicken darted out from the side of the road ..... and STOPPED ... I slammed on the brakes hard enough to stand me up on the floor boards .... and the RT - SE stalled ..... I was quite surprised by this ..... I hit the start button and it shifted into neutral, and I continued on as before ...... this is the first time this has happened ..... has this happened to you ???? ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

No, can't say I've ever had a close call with a chicken. Deer, reckless teenagers, but no chickens. Glad it turned out well!

LORD GRANT ME THE SENILITY TO FORGET THE PEOPLE I NEVER LIKED,
    THE GOOD FORTUNE TO RUN INTO THE ONES I DO LIKE,
    AND THE EYE SIGHT TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

2016 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

No, has not happened to me but I would suspect that at your low speed when you stopped so abruptly the HCM simply did not have time to disengage the clutch.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yeah Mike, had the 'stalling' thing happen a few times (just not the chicken bit! ) always & only on 'Emergency Stops' tho!! Now admittedly, my RT is an SE5, but I reckon it's occurring simply because the brakes can stop your Spyder harder/faster than the 'automatic' clutches can react, regardless of it being the SE5's centrifugal or the SE6's oil over hydraulic!!

Quite simply, if you slam on your brakes hard enough, the Spyder's brakes CAN lock up the wheels (the back wheel especially) hard enough, long enough, and QUICKLY enough that the clutch doesn't get a chance to disengage before the engine stalls out!! You gotta admit that once they graduated to the Brembo's (on the 2013's & newer), when everything's working properly, they're pretty darned good brakes!!

It's for that very reason that I'm extremely wary of anyone riding/driving too close behind at any speed, especially if it looks like they aren't paying as much attention to their driving as I am to mine - cos I know that if something occurs that means I'll brake hard, me'n my Spyder WILL STOP a whole lot quicker'n just about anything else on the road!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Question Really good stopping power.

Mike, I'm glad all is well. Yes our 's can stop really hard. Which brings up the " tailgater". Both my son and I have been hit by a " gater" over the years. Again, all is well but it begs the question:

What do you all do about " tailgaters"?????

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Playing chicken with a chicken. And the Spyder won.....! (I just couldn't help myself) ..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Mike, I'm glad all is well. Yes our 's can stop really hard. Which brings up the " tailgater". Both my son and I have been hit by a " gater" over the years. Again, all is well but it begs the question:

Lew L
    Downshift and giver
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Lew L
    Never experienced the stalling, even under hard braking to a stop. Maybe it is as mentioned that the clutch is unable to react quickly enough to release. Truly not sure, but may not be a bad idea to see if you can replicate it and notice if any cause may exist.

Regarding the tailgater question, most times just move to a different lane or slow down and give them room to pass. If the driver is just simply stupid and not in a rush to be in front, then I may gas and go. Honestly though, I prefer them in front of us.

Spyder Garage

Mike, I glad you and the chicken made it threw the meeting!! I dont know what it is with this bike of mine, I have hit or came close to so many animals with this thing, I have thought of putting deer whistles on!! That's how it got it's nick name Hoot, she's a hunter!! Stay safe big guy!! Watch out for the pigs and cows!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Did you have time to ask why it was crossing the road?
    David
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

carry a few small rocks, toss over shoulder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad the chicken lived to peck another day, long live the chicken. I hope it appreciates your good breaking job.

Spyder Garage

The life long question has now been answered. Now you know why the chicken crossed the road -- to STOP in front of you and test your ABS system.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Why did the chicken stop in the roadway? She may have smelled something familiar.

Had a deer do that to me just a couple weeks ago. The horn sent her on the way. Luckily, I saw it entering the road and was able to slow down before heavy braking was needed.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Never experienced the stalling, even under hard braking to a stop. Maybe it is as mentioned that the clutch is unable to react quickly enough to release. Truly not sure, but may not be a bad idea to see if you can replicate it and notice if any cause may exist.

Regarding the tailgater question, most times just move to a different lane or slow down and give them room to pass. If the driver is just simply stupid and not in a rush to be in front, then I may gas and go. Honestly though, I prefer them in front of us.
    Yep, this was my first stalling event ..... and I have had to quickly slow down and did some hard braking in the past ... but never to a STOP and never did it Stall .... At 20mph I had at most 12 feet to stop, and I did .... fantastic brakes .... I think Peter and you had the best explanation ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by uralski View Post
    carry a few small rocks, toss over shoulder.
    What? .......so you can hit the chicken as you ride off?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red