Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder owner

Hey guys I just purchased a 2013 RT Limited. I was wondering how they do cruising at say 75-80 riding two up? I’m coming from a Harley road glide 107. Bad ankles and knees needed to get on three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Well, you'll do ok if it's well maintained and got good tires, heavy sway bar and a laser alinement, and set up for the weight your hauling!! Myself I go out of my way to get off the highway, and get bored to death doing 70-80 for miles on end!! Have fun, be safe!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Well, you'll do ok if it's well maintained and got good tires, heavy sway bar and a laser alinement, and set up for the weight your hauling!! Myself I go out of my way to get off the highway, and get bored to death doing 70-80 for miles on end!! Have fun, be safe!
    What do you mean set up? Sorry really new to spyder.

Spyder Garage

Actually the RT Limited has air adjustable suspension and it will adjust accordingly. I have mine for almost 3 months now and have not had to mess around with suspension either solo or two up. Cruising 70-80 is no problem at all. Gradually I like the Spyder better than the Vstar1300 that I had. I too have problems with old knees. Congrats on your new ryde.
    Cheers.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You shocks all have adjustments some aren't great but you can adjust it for the weight your hauling and your riding style! The front of that rt's like a sail and you will get some buffering going on at that speed, and if you don't relax you may over steer the thing and have a rotten time! For you coming off two wheels it;s going to take you some seat time to be comfortable on it.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

On your other motorcycles did you take it out off the box and like the ride?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    Actually the RT Limited has air adjustable suspension and it will adjust accordingly. I have mine for almost 3 months now and have not had to mess around with suspension either solo or two up. Cruising 70-80 is no problem at all. Gradually I like the Spyder better than the Vstar1300 that I had. I too have problems with old knees. Congrats on your new ryde.
    Cheers.
    Thank you!

Spyder Garage

I haven't had any problems doing 70 on the highway. Most of the problems I've encountered are of the 4 wheel kind.
    2014 RT SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    On your other motorcycles did you take it out off the box and like the ride?
    On the road glide. No adjustments needed. But my previous older ultra classic I did change the shocks out for burley shortys. I’m short legged

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NightStalker View Post
    I haven't had any problems doing 70 on the highway. Most of the problems I've encountered are of the 4 wheel kind.
    Ain’t that the truth

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GlenCreek View Post
    Hey guys I just purchased a 2013 RT Limited. I was wondering how they do cruising at say 75-80 riding two up? I’m coming from a Harley road glide 107. Bad ankles and knees needed to get on three wheels.
    on the new to you Spyder RTL. Ride a little and give it some time to get use too. It's way different then 2 wheels. Stop reaching for the hand brake its not there. and don't forget to put the kickstand down when you park it. It will take sometime to get use to but once you get it down pat going 75 80 will not be a problem. Live to Ride, Ride to Live. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 08-02-2020 at 11:14 AM. Reason: fix
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Welcome! Do yourself a huge favor and read the operator's guide thoroughly, at least twice. Also read the "Do's and Do Nots" sticky on the Spyder General Discussion Forum. Give yourself time to get accustomed to the way a Spyder handles and behaves. Don't worry about how many miles it takes YOU to get accustomed to it; we're all different.

While the Spyder will do fine at 75-80 once you get accustomed to it, IMO, blowing down the road at that speed is only for getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible; otherwise you're just wasting gas, oil and rubber and,
    at that speed you're going to go through gas like crap through a goose. The real fun is on the back roads. Be safe!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NightStalker View Post
    In 3,000 miles I only had one situation of having to flash high beams for an oncoming car starting to pass when there was not enough room.

Compared to a one headlight M/C, 2 headlights and 2 running lights (LEDs are a BRIGHT white) get much more attention.

More exciting on the Moto Guzzi (see post one)

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread...2010629&page=3
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

and

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the world of Spyders. Enjoy the ride’
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Relax and Enjoy the Ride. Bad knees here also.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

At 75 to 80 you don't have much available torque for passing trucks. Be ready to downshift in those cases. Your gas mileage goes down the tube with two up (or pulling a trailer) at any speed above 65. In strong head winds you may find yourself having to run in 4th, or be satisfied to not go over 60 - 65. The 998 engine doesn't have much reserve top end torque above 70.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    At 75 to 80 you don't have much available torque for passing trucks. Be ready to downshift in those cases. Your gas mileage goes down the tube with two up (or pulling a trailer) at any speed above 65. In strong head winds you may find yourself having to run in 4th, or be satisfied to not go over 60 - 65. The 998 engine doesn't have much reserve top end torque above 70.
    Well, not until you've had the 'ECU Xtreme' ECU Upgrade done, anyway!! Then you get stonking torque pretty much all the way out to the new (raised) red line!

And even better Glen, it's still within the 'safe & reliable' revs used by BRP & Others for this very same engine in other applications, so it's quite unlikely to be stressing the motor anything much more than saaay.... the Aprilia's that also ran them; only they got the higher revs, more torque, and more horsepower straight outta the box; while BRP went the 'overly cautious' route with the Spyders & to a lesser extent, the Rykers too! I guess they thought us 'old farts' wouldn't have the strength of will to resist using any extra torque on tap if they gave it to us, so we got the 'radically de-tuned' power-plants instead of something closer to the full bottle! So for my two bob's worth, and as one 2013 RT Ryder to another; once you are reasonably comfortable with the differences in riding a Spyder vs the Harley, get the ECU Upgrade done - I really doubt you'll ever regret it! Better gas milage for pottering around and at cruise; but still with stonking torque on demand, just waiting for you to twist the throttle! .
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-01-2020 at 11:05 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Well, not until you've had the 'ECU Xtreme' ECU Upgrade done, anyway!! Then you get stonking torque pretty much all the way out to the new (raised) red line!

And even better Glen, it's still within the 'safe & reliable' revs used by BRP & Others for this very same engine in other applications, so it's quite unlikely to be stressing the motor anything much more than saaay.... the Aprilia's that also ran them; only they got the higher revs, more torque, and more horsepower straight outta the box; while BRP went the 'overly cautious' route with the Spyders & to a lesser extent, the Rykers too! I guess they thought us 'old farts' wouldn't have the strength of will to resist using any extra torque on tap if they gave it to us, so we got the 'radically de-tuned' power-plants instead of something closer to the full bottle! So for my two bob's worth, and as one 2013 RT Ryder to another; once you are reasonably comfortable with the differences in riding a Spyder vs the Harley, get the ECU Upgrade done - I really doubt you'll ever regret it! Better gas milage for pottering around and at cruise; but still with stonking torque on demand, just waiting for you to twist the throttle! .
    Thank you for the info. How/where do I get an ECU upgrade?

Spyder Garage

There's Monster & Wick-it in North America, or the bloke I & many others have gone to (who is located in Aus but who does them for Can-Am's & others all around the World) for upgrades etc on competition & general use machines too, Jase from ECU Xtreme (on facebook etc & rotaxracing@gmail.com) & I believe there's also a Power Commander upgrade available now too.

There's more discussion & info here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...14#post1532714
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-03-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Link - then d on Worl! :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Fuel mileage per gallon really falls off at 80 mph. But the ECU up grade is one of the best things you can do to your
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the info. How/where do I get an ECU upgrade?
    As you probably already surmised from Peter's post the ECU upgrade comes from 3rd party after market suppliers only and is a not sanctioned by BRP.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)