Spyder Garage

Angry ELKA shocks maintenance

looking into upgrading suspension. Called Elka and they mentioned changing the oil and gaskets every now and then for the shocks. Anybody heard of this? the thought of just removing the shocks every few years makes me

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Nothing lasts forever.
    For the price they should be rebuildable.
    Motorcycle forks need the same type of service.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by threewheel View Post
    looking into upgrading suspension. Called Elka and they mentioned changing the oil and gaskets every now and then for the shocks. Anybody heard of this? the thought of just removing the shocks every few years makes me
    If you want the most you can get out of your shocks, yes after a few years you should have your shocks rebuilt! The oil inside will get hot when run down a uneven, bumpy road, and start to break down and the seals in the shock do wear and the shock will loose it's charge and then it's not going to work right! I see it more often on my sleds, but it will happen with the bike also! Yes the cost of these shocks are up there but when it's time to rebuild it's just a few dollars to rebuild, i have a guy that charges me $30 dollars plus parts to rebuild my sled shocks, and when he's done it's a new ride feel all over again. And if I want him to change the set up on the shock like more or less rebound, he can change it for me!! A good aftermarket shock is worth every penny you spend in my book! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl