Spyder Garage

Spyder Front tire wear on the inner side 2011 RT SE

Has anyone had tire wear on their spyder? I put a new set of tires on last year, and notices that the innerside of my right tire has worn. I had a front end alignment done last year, should I be getting another one done? The bike doesn't pull to the left or right either. How many miles or kms does one typically get out of a set of front tires?

This site has been really helpful for me so far and I really appreciate those who do respond to help me out!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Even wear?
    Not cupped?
    Most likely toe-out on right, but left is running parallel to rear.
    Suggest re-alignment.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderweber3 View Post
    Has anyone had tire wear on their spyder? I put a new set of tires on last year, and notices that the innerside of my right tire has worn. I had a front end alignment done last year, should I be getting another one done? The bike doesn't pull to the left or right either. How many miles or kms does one typically get out of a set of front tires?

This site has been really helpful for me so far and I really appreciate those who do respond to help me out!
    Well excessive tire wear on any Spyder tire is a sign of mis-alignment ..... my feeling is whoever did it didn't get it correct .... Spyders can be 100% aligned using a Lazer, but it can be close using other methods ..... IF they know how !!!! .... Properly aligned tires ( even Kenda's ) get 25,000 - plus .... my General Altimax RT43's have 27,000 mi and have at least another 10,000 left on them ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks... I'll post a picture of the tire wear so that you can see it... I could understand that it may be out of alignment if the bike pulled to the right, but so far it doesn't seem to. I will have it checked at the next servicing. Left tire seems to be wearing normally.

thanks!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Photo could help
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Calling SpyderAnn....

Spyder Garage

My wife's '11 RT has eaten the inside of the right tire almost to the cords in an incredibly short time. Hers does not pull, and the bars are centered. I'm going to trailer it the 200+ miles to the nearest laser alignment provider as soon as I get the 15" rims and tires I ordered.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NoahMercy View Post
    My wife's '11 RT has eaten the inside of the right tire almost to the cords in an incredibly short time. Hers does not pull, and the bars are centered. I'm going to trailer it the 200+ miles to the nearest laser alignment provider as soon as I get the 15" rims and tires I ordered.
    .... Yours appears to be much worse than most ..... I suggest you contact the Lazer aligner and ask if they can also mount the new tires ... you want to avoid using the new tires with a problem as pronounced as yours is ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

20200731_174804.jpg20200731_174804.jpg

Here are my pictures. The right tire is the most worn. It's been suggested that a bad ball joint can contribute to the wearing as well. Is this a possibility?

Spyder Garage

I see you have an 11 RT, if the ball joints are the original ones how many total miles are on the machine ..... over the years not many " Ball Joint issues " have been reported ..... but many, many out-of-alignment issues have caused what you are looking at on that tire ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike... I have about 50,000 miles on it or 81,000 kms. I put on about 8,000 miles on in a year...

Spyder Garage

At that mileage " ball joint wear " is a possibility so check that first ..... 50,000 miles is way above normal ... even for high quality Auto tires ..... but they still should wear evenly ..... yours isn't ..... I think the right wheel " tie-rod " needs adjustment ..... sorry but I can't remember if that's a toe-in or toe-out issue for your wear problem ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.... I took it today to get it checked.... the dealer didn't comment on the alignment.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike.... I took it today to get it checked.... the dealer didn't comment on the alignment.
    Dealers .... Unfortunately even if the dealer is knowledgeable .... He's going to use the BRP alignment method which is less than desirable. Half or more New Spyders are mis-aligned when delivered ..... I got my 14 RT Lazer aligned by the Netzley's years & years ago, and had them check it after 2 years .,.. it was still within specs. .... I ride a lot of rough roads, and mine hasn't gone out of alignment ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Did they even LOOK for a cause of that tire wear?? If so, what did they suggest.... if anything?!

That sorta tire wear is NOT 'normal' &/or acceptable - it's almost certainly a sign of something the Dealer should be concerned about and finding a resolution for; if not thru getting you a proper wheel alignment; then by looking for damaged or worn suspension components; or maybe even by tossing the (possibly defective??) tire & getting you a new one!! But simply ignoring it is not an appropriate response, and could well be argued is potentially a criminally negligent act!! What if you ride off home & have a prang on the way due to saaay busted ball joint finally collapsing, maybe or catastrophic failure in that worn & potentially compromised tire?!?

Yeah, that'd be the worst case scenario, I know; but for the tech/dealer, simply not saying &/or offering to do anything when ANY vehicle presents with a tire worn like that is simply NOT an appropriate course of action.... at least, not for a competent tech/dealership anyway!?!

Getting a proper wheel alignment by someone who knows what they're doing (like Squared Away?) is just the first step in resolving this - a good alignment tech would see that wear and look for the cause, be it alignment, worn suspensiin or steering components, or even possibly a faulty tire; and even if they couldn't fix it then and there, they wouldn't let you ride off without telling you what the problem appeared to be and warning you of the risks (if any) of continuing to operate your vehicle like that!! You need to find a good, reputable, and competent tech fairly soon!!

That said, I'd guess at the wear shown in your pic as being from an incorrect wheel alignment on poor quality tires, and I'd suggest a new set of better quality front tires to go with a proper wheel alignment... one that included checking/inspecting all the front suspension bushes, arms, etc and the all steering gear. You won't be able to 'correct' that degree of tire wear thru alignment now; that tire's for the bin, and especially on a Spyder, you should replace the pair, not just one front!

Over to you.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

....the dealer won't say anything.!!! ......other than we have to replace your front right tire. He is there to make money... And will sell you another tire in a year or so.

Get a lazer alingment done. Period. End of story. If the ball joint is defective, the aligner will see it and tell you.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

One video you can watch on you tube by lamonster garage explains the aligment process and interpretation of the result and problems to consider. Very educational (to me at least)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fs8bI3b_BA

Spyder Garage

i have learned that I have about 15,000 miles on those tires. So that may be part of my problem... LOL...

Spyder Garage

i have learned that I have about 15,000 miles on those tires. So that may be part of my problem... LOL...
    Shouldn't be!! Well, except that it is a Kenda!

But that aside, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I've been able to get more than twice that tire life with even tread wear from my front tires.... even many out there who are still running OE spec Kendas tell us they're getting better tire life with no uneven wear like that!!

I'm pretty sure that there REALLY IS something wrong to create wear like that on a tire, any tire, and that's especially the case if it's worn just ONE tire of a pair fitted onto the front of such a lightweight vehicle as a Spyder!!

You have an issue that needs fixing, and I reckon the first place to start in resolving that issue should be a reputably competent wheel aligner; preferably one who can fit a set of proper auto tires onto your Spyder too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!