Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I am sorry but I don't get putting a moly paste or lubicant is going to prevent the pulley from getting the sPlines not to wallow out like that.
    The splines on the sprocket are going to move relative to the splines on the shaft no matter what you do. This is not a press fit or tapered spline. Since the splines are going to move, a moly paste between them is used to reduce the wear vs fitting the splines dry.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

EP or Extreme Pressure grease needs to be applied. Moly 60 works. Not to be sloppy upon application. Just enough to do is good.
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

No one has answered my question on holding sprocket when you torque it??

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    See this post: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1532622
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The splines on the sprocket are going to move relative to the splines on the shaft no matter what you do. This is not a press fit or tapered spline. Since the splines are going to move, a moly paste between them is used to reduce the wear vs fitting the splines dry.
    Exactly, the pulley is a slip fit, not interference fit or tapered. The pulley will move regardless of bolt torque. The splines are under a high load with minimal microscopic movement. Perfect conditions for fretting corrosion to occur. No water needed with fretting corrosion, simply high pressures, micro movements and oxygen.

There is absolutely no design flaw by requiring lubricated splines and routine maintenance of the spline lubricant.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post

In a previous post, a photo shows how one person fabricated a long pin spanner to hold the pulley from rotating while loosening or tightening the retaining bolt.

The required torque is actually not that much, and far less than the drive belt is rated for. Myself, I allow the drive belt to prevent movement of the countershaft while loosening or tightening the pulley retention bolt. Set the parking brake to prevent rolling the machine while accomplishing the task.

If you are planning to increase the torque on the retaining bolt, realize, you must back the bolt off. Determine rundown torque, then in one smooth non stopping motion torque to the desired torque. Simply trying to increase torque on an already tightened fastener is grossly inaccurate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I am sorry but I don't get putting a moly paste or lubicant is going to prevent the pulley from getting the sPlines not to wallow out like that.
    Then, what are your thoughts about reducing the chances of a pulley failure? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Still seems curious to me that, seemingly, the F3's are far more prone to this problem. I used to own a '14 RT and read every thread on this forum and don't recall it happening to them.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Still seems curious to me that, seemingly, the F3's are far more prone to this problem. I used to own a '14 RT and read every thread on this forum and don't recall it happening to them.
    Longer belt??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Longer belt??
    The possibility of longer belt seems viable, but is the belt longer because the countershaft to axle length differs, or because the pulley tooth count is different.

Seems the real underlying question though is, those of us that accomplished removal, inspection, and installation without going to the dealer AND have used moly lube, not grease, or the Loctite method, under that situation, how many have failed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    I'm with PMK on this. There is many front sprocket failures, the dealers know about the issue and BRP also knows about the issue. Here in the UK BRP does not challenge a claim for a replacement sprocket the issue is so prevalent. However, your 2019 will be fitted with a modified sprocket and it should also be tightened to the revised higher torque. With a bit of luck you will be OK. But, it's no use just looking to see whether it's OK occasionally because if it fails, by the time you find the red dust the damage is done and you'll need a new sprocket, plus when the sprocket fails it also frets the end of the splined drive shaft and the replacement sprocket will never seat quite as well as it originally did. If you can do the work yourself it's a straightforward task, doesn't take long and will give you peace of mind for the future.

PMK has his favourite Moly grease but you can buy constant velocity joint grease in your local auto store. It's high spec moly grease and will be very satisfactory.

For info, the splines should not be carrying the driving force on the sprocket, they are locators for the sprocket and a failsafe should an issue develop. The driving force is transmitted via the frictional grip of the driving shaft end and the sprocket end drive face. The tightening torque of the bolt applies pressure to the sprocket to generate this friction. The latest sprockets have an increased area drive face and the tightening torque of the bolt is also increased to provide more friction than the previous Spyders had. We are recommending the moly grease as a saviour should there be any movement of the sprocket on the splines.

It's your call as to whether you trust BRP to have got it right on your machine. If the dust does appear, I bet you'll regret not having prevented the issue.
    Would it be a good idea then, if you're not having a front sprocket failure, to replace it anyway? I have a 2017 F3-S.

Spyder Garage

The current part number for the belt 705501304 for standard rear pulley. Started being used in 2014 until current. For all models including RT, RS, ST and F3. The previous several part numbers of belts for 2008 until 2013 are the same length as well. So the only longer belts are on the F3 with the larger rear pulley. So I will guess that belt length has nothing to do with it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerrySpyder View Post
    Would it be a good idea then, if you're not having a front sprocket failure, to replace it anyway? I have a 2017 F3-S.
    Personally I would. The 2017 bikes I've seen have the older sprocket with the recess. These are UK bikes and very likely actually made in 2016 though 2017 specification.

I fitted a new belt and sprockets to a 2017 last week and it had the recessed sprocket. I pulled the new bolt to 115lbs/ft. Iirc, the 'new' recommended torque is 111lbs/ft. Given that most torque wrenches are not particularly accurate I rounded it up but I also lubed the new bolt.

Whether you choose to do it is your call really because it'll cost you money.

The new front sprocket is part number: 705502134
    The bolt is part no: 705502292
    The belt is still the same, part no: 705501304
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Oops, rereading the above post I didn't make it clear...The 2017 bike on which I replaced the belt and sprocket last week had the recessed sprocket as original fitment but it was replaced with the recent type sprocket which is machined flat on the shaft contact surface.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

Replace with shaft drive!!

Spyder Garage

Just wait until you have the belt on and the brake set and it is easy to torque.