Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default First wash (coin-op type)

2886 miles on the clock after the Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, Zion run yesterday.
    It was fairly clean when I left, but 545 miles of road grime was more than I wanted to tackle with a wet towel.

Good opportunity to let engine cool, as a prospective Ryker owner stopped by the wash bay, while I was setting up the forward/reverse lever to a neutral position, so I could push the Ryker to rotate wheels for full coverage. BTW, this is why locking the transmission lock lever (not a brake) is not so effective.

Local wash is moderate pressure, plenty of detergent and a powerful blow dryer.
    Did not get too close with the wand (owner's manual page 119) and she started immediately after drying.

3 miles home at 40+ MPH completed the drying....being over 90 F at 8 AM helped!

The glove box seal worked well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I have used car wash wands for over 50 years and have found if you don't pull the trigger you get a light gentle spray that still cleans. I give short bursts to troublesome bug deposits and stains and stay away from dash and wheels.

BTW thank you for those beautiful pictures. Next time up You need to go to Kolob Reservoir, Kolob Canyon, Veyo Pies, and the Parowan Gap. Maybe if there is time Calf Creek Falls and ride the Hogsback. Some many rides, so little time.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Stay away from the radiator

2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I think people worry way too much over manual car washes. I use my local one for the wheels, and general underneath cleaning. Then go home, wipe it down and call it good. Always turns out just fine. :-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    ...Next time up You need to go to Kolob Reservoir, Kolob Canyon, Veyo Pies, and the Parowan Gap. Maybe if there is time Calf Creek Falls and ride the Hogsback. Some many rides, so little time.
    The road to Kolob Reservoir is about mile 5 on highway 14. I did go up it a few miles. Great views of highway14 and Cedar City.

When I got to the new sub-divison, built on the hillside, overlooking Cedar City, I asked the driver of a parked truck how much farther to the reservoir. He stated another ~16 miles, so I turned around. Just not enough hours in the day.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Been washing engines since 1964.
    I avoid the alternator or cover it.
    The only issue has been drying out distributor caps.
    Even if engine is kept running, condensation can be an issue.

In 1968, I drove a 2 1/2 ton truck too fast across the Tarlac River between Clark Air Base (Philippines) and Crow Valley Bombing range.
    It died mid river (about 300 feet wide). Water was 2-3 feet deep.
    I removed T shirt from under uniform, crawled out the window onto a fender, removed the distributor cap, dried it with the sacrificial T shirt, crawled back into the cab, started it up and drove out of the river.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    The road to Kolob Reservoir is about mile 5 on highway 14. I did go up it a few miles. Great views of highway14 and Cedar City.

When I got to the new sub-divison, built on the hillside, overlooking Cedar City, I asked the driver of a parked truck how much farther to the reservoir. He stated another ~16 miles, so I turned around. Just not enough hours in the day.
    Not sure where you were going but Kolob Reservoir is the road off of Ut 9 at Virgin. Unless you have 4 wheel drive there is no access from Ut14. Ut14 is a great ride. Especially over to Cedar Breaks and down into Parowan or Panguich.(gotta love those Utah names). And yes if you were short on time you were a long way from Kolob.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Not sure where you were going but Kolob Reservoir is the road off of Ut 9 at Virgin. Unless you have 4 wheel drive there is no access from Ut14. Ut14 is a great ride. Especially over to Cedar Breaks and down into Parowan or Panguich.(gotta love those Utah names). And yes if you were short on time you were a long way from Kolob.
    Yes, I have seen the turn-off from highway 9, which is 25 miles to the reservoir.
    From highway 14 it is about 24 miles.
    I got past Top of "C" trail parking, about 5 miles.
    The road was paved (not recent) no centerline and typical speed about 30 MPH.
    The sub-division referenced is in the bottom left of the aerial view.

I took photos of the sign, which I texted to my wife (she always wants to know where to pick up the body), but did not save, nor the views of 14 or Cedar City.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I have been washing engines since 1964.

In 1968, I drove a 2 1/2 ton truck too fast across the Tarlac River between Clark Air Base (Philippines) and Crow Valley Bombing range.
    I removed T shirt from under uniform, crawled out the window onto a fender, removed the distributor cap, dried it with the sacrificial T shirt, crawled back into the cab, started it up and drove out of the river.

That's a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing.

Spyder Garage

Good opportunity to let engine cool, as a prospective Ryker owner stopped by the wash bay, while I was setting up the forward/reverse lever to a neutral position, so I could push the Ryker to rotate wheels for full coverage. BTW, this is why locking the transmission lock lever (not a brake) is not so effective..
    I've seen this mentioned a few times. Can you explain a little better what you're referring to? Are you saying even with the lock engaged and the transmission set to "neutral" that it will still roll? Because mine does not function that way and will still remain locked.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have seen the turn-off from highway 9, which is 25 miles to the reservoir.
    From highway 14 it is about 24 miles.
    I got past Top of "C" trail parking, about 5 miles.
    The road was paved (not recent) no centerline and typical speed about 30 MPH.
    The sub-division referenced is in the bottom left of the aerial view.

I took photos of the sign, which I texted to my wife (she always wants to know where to pick up the body), but did not save, nor the views of 14 or Cedar City.
    Wow a new road. I'll have to ride that soon.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mjl99 View Post
    I've seen this mentioned a few times. Can you explain a little better what you're referring to? Are you saying even with the lock engaged and the transmission set to "neutral" that it will still roll? Because mine does not function that way and will still remain locked.
    I stand corrected, as it would not do it for me in the garage, this morning.

The first time it happened, I was parked on a grade, changing from F to R and it rolled and I was sure the trans was locked.

At the car wash, it was not locked, when I moved the lever between F and R to roll it easily with one hand.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-09-2020 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Those Duce and a Half's are pretty much indestructible.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

How times have changed! Many years ago someone asked if they could wash their Spyder in a coin op car wash. I answered yes with some normal cautions of course. Then a whole lot of folks piled on saying what a terrible idea that is. I even got a couple pms questioning my intelligence. I am happy to see times have changed for the better. Water will not hurt Rykers or Spyders. Within reason of course.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    How times have changed! Many years ago someone asked if they could wash their Spyder in a coin op car wash. I answered yes with some normal cautions of course. Then a whole lot of folks piled on saying what a terrible idea that is. I even got a couple pms questioning my intelligence. I am happy to see times have changed for the better. Water will not hurt Rykers or Spyders. Within reason of course.
    Bottom line is "keep the water pressure down on the lower side". I only crank it up while rinsing up under the Max Mount on my Rally. I've gotten tired of dirt and road grime always up back there. A full rear fender is on the way. (next rainy day project)

Spyder Garage

I helped out a retired couple one day that drown there little chevy pick up in the middle of a stream in northern Maine, when my wife and I found them they where hanging out on there windows stitting on the doors looking at each other with the water half way up the fenders! Stretched the winch cable out while the old man came to shore and got the hook. Pulled them to the bank to the base of a really good hill, got my tool box out and took the plugs out and spun the motor over till it pumped out all the water!! Took the cap and rotor out and sprayed it with WD40, put it all back together and fired the old girl up, but, the head gasket had blown out so it was running on two out of four holes!! Not good for them, they were 40 miles from any black road! I got them up the hill and ended towing them to the ranger station where he called his son to come get him with a trailer!! You should have seen this road I pulled him threw,, boy they got a ride!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Someone questioned YOUR intelligence, Billy? Hard to believe since your replies are always well researched, practical and helpful. It was your post that got me using a coin op wash, with “some normal cautions”......never had an issue.......thanks

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I wash her with normal car shampoo - you need an oil- and silikon-spray .. looks like new after 15.000 miles !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN7NRrwGkFc&t=19s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuns View Post

That's a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing.
    MMMMMMMMMM, THE ole Philippines, I miss P.I. Subic bay, Manila and Olongapo