Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT-S HOT seat???

How do you cool down the seat area on these machines? Just got back from a 80 mile ride with the temps on the mid to high 80s. Could not wait to get home to get off.

Do any of you experience this extreme heat on your machines?

Never ever experienced anything like this on any of my Two wheelers.

Thanks for any input.

SCWingman

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never had this issue.

Spyder Garage

Hot right leg, yes. Hot seat, not really. Are you the original owner? Does the seat have a heater? I do ride with an AirHawk.
    2012 Viper Red RT-S (Sold)
    2020 Ryker Rally
    2023 Plasma Red F3 Limited

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scwingman View Post
    How do you cool down the seat area on these machines? Just got back from a 80 mile ride with the temps on the mid to high 80s. Could not wait to get home to get off.

Thanks for any input.

SCWingman
    Do you have the RT vent kit (scoops) installed?

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...kit-on-2014-RT

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The heat is trapped under all the tupperware. We have '15 RT-S as well. Fixed with the scoop kit for the 2013 and earlier models.

Spyder Garage

Removing the plastic, under-frame panels really helps. It gives all that hot air somewhere to go. Removing them doesn't hurt a thing and really reduces the heat that leaks out to your feet, legs and seat. It also makes doing oil changes much easier. And, if you don't like the results, for any reason. You can always put them back on. Do Not Remove parts # 313 or 314. These are your skid plates. You need those and removing them won't help reduce under-hood heat anyway.

Panels.jpg

Wrapping your exhaust from the header pipe as far back as you can go reduces under-hood temperatures a great deal. (Pictured example, obviously not a Spyder)

Heat2.jpg

Reducing under-hood heat not only makes riding much more comfortable. It helps all those components encased in Tupperware run cooler and last longer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Would be huge help if we knew what u were riding??

Spyder Garage

It's a 2015 RT-S. Take another look.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

2015 RT. Plenty of 500 mile days and no complaints, but then I came from a BMW RT and a Triumph Trophy SE which could both be a hot ride.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

My wife has had her RT get hot enough to be very uncomfortable. But only when the air temperature is hot to start with. She put a sheep wool seat cover on it and now it never bothers her. But yes when it’s hot out and your bucking some wind on interstate it can get warm
    ND Rider
    2016 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Removing the plastic, under-frame panels really helps. It gives all that hot air somewhere to go. Removing them doesn't hurt a thing and really reduces the heat that leaks out to your feet, legs and seat. It also makes doing oil changes much easier. And, if you don't like the results, for any reason. You can always put them back on. Do Not Remove parts # 313 or 314. These are your skid plates. You need those and removing them won't help reduce under-hood heat anyway.

Panels.jpg

Wrapping your exhaust from the header pipe as far back as you can go reduces under-hood temperatures a great deal. (Pictured example, obviously not a Spyder)

Heat2.jpg

Reducing under-hood heat not only makes riding much more comfortable. It helps all those components encased in Tupperware run cooler and last longer.
    In the parts diagram I don't see a deflector on the right side behind the wheel well grill that my '15 RT-S. It is curved and deflects air outside to the Hiway Peg area. I also put on the pre '14 Air Scoops and neither I nor the glove box get hot now. Engine temps never get higher than the 4th bar from bottom of the gauge even in HOT OKLAHOMA SUMMERS.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Hey Wingman. And sometimes, with the stock seat, it gives you the sensation of being hot, when it's really a matter of your anatomy and circulation back there instead. Heck, I have a Corbin and still use an Airhawk R. Just one of those things. Some folks have reported having a good experience with the Gel seat kit from Motorcycle Dave. It works like this, comes with everything you need, and is more affordable than a whole new seat.

http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom...foam-seat-kit/

Doug

Spyder Garage

For us, any heat issues were typically slower riding or stop and go during warmer months. Years ago removed the cat and installed a bypass pipe. That reduced heat by a lot.

No scoop kit installed. The BRP accessory side vents are installed and direct more airflow to driver and passenger.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I will check into the cool air kit from BRP and look into removing the panels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for any input.

SCWingman
    Quite awhile back this topic came up and then many people reported the same issue ....( herd effect ? ) ..... I have the first edition of the 1330 engine on my 14 RT ..... I checked the Temp inside the glove box and the sides where your knee's are ..... I don't remember the exact temp difference but it wasn't more than 15 F for the knee area and only 25 F in the glove box ...... some folks are more sensitive than others ..... I also had an 08 GS and 11 RSS and they were hotter, but never got to be objectionable ....of course I never wore shorts when I ride ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Get the BRP Air Scoops, the heat deflectors and a Air Hawk or Air Innovations inflatable seat cushion, and remove the under engine floor pans. Even though I haven't removed the floor pans, I don't have problems with heat. The air cushion is a little warm while it's been sitting in the sun, but not uncomfortable and it cools quickly. I won't ride without it. I Velcro-ed to the seat. Just a little air is all you need, don't inflate it too much. I put in a bit more then let air out as I rode until I liked it.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

The scoop kit is only about $60. I think I got mine from cheapcycleparts.com. It does require you to drill 3 holes - I was terrified! My brand new 2016 RT (at the time) and I'm drilling holes in it! The glovebox temp and general - um - groin area - cooled down a lot. One nice thing is this kit replaces to large plastic covers with metal bars - allowing way more air flow through the sides. You remove the two vents on either side and scoop goes over these now open holes.

Another benefit is I can get to the oil filter without taking off those big plastic panels now. Also many people remove the panels under the bike (right and left) that keep rocks from popping up. Some people drill a lot of 1" holes in it to promote air flow. Pro tip I learned way too late - keep a bottle of water in the bike, splash it over the seat and let it evap for a minute if its been in the sun a while. Drops the temp a lot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I will check into the cool air kit from BRP and look into removing the panels.
    When you install the cowl vents you must cut the holes in the right & left body panels to get the proper air movement...Dealers had temp lets to do these holes but there are several posts on the forum showing how...

I have recently read of several members putting on the vent kits without cutting the body panels...I don't think this method would be of much help...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    When you install the cowl vents you must cut the holes in the right & left body panels to get the proper air movement...Dealers had temp lets to do these holes but there are several posts on the forum showing how...

I have recently read of several members putting on the vent kits without cutting the body panels...I don't think this method would be of much help...
    I didn't cut the panels on my 15 RTS. Just removed the deflectors and grill. and drilled holes and mounted vents. The kit has you remove the acoustic panels also and gives you 2 brackets for support. My seat and glove box were very cool. Night and day difference.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 RT with side wind deflectors that deflect the wind around the vents. Q1: Are these stock? Q2: What is their purpose? Q3: What is the part number for the kit? Q4: Would taking off the under frame panels help with cooling?

Enough questions for the day.

Thanks, Bob

Spyder Garage

Can-Am RT VENT KIT Part # 219800388
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Those are somewhat ridiculous air vent deflectors...can't fiqure wth the engineers are thinking on those in front of the vents. Can-Am RT VENT KIT Part # 219800388. Search for some pics and install instructions. The kit was 69$ at the dealer a month ago and that includes shipping. I have yet to install. Just hate cutting the side panels. A dealer said they charge $200 to do it but ...I'm waiting.

Spyder Garage

Those deflectors in front of the flat air vents ...one would think these would keep air out but on further review it creates a dead space where air is "sucked in" the vents. SO my first impression was wrong. I also have seen now an adjustable vent that replaces the deflectors in front of the vents and these pivot and allow different amounts of air in . The Air scoops that BRP designed force air in and down into the engine compartment which seems like the way to go for the best results.

Spyder Garage

Default Can-am brand adjustable side wind deflectors for rt & limited $100

-lIKE NEW CAN-AM FACTORY OPTION ADJUSTABLE SIDE WIND DEFLECTORS.
    -GREAT TO DEFLECT WET OR COLD AWAY OR CHANNEL MORE AIR ONTO YOU IF IT'S HOT.
    -THESE FIT MY 2016 RT LIMITED, TAKES 5 MINUTES TO INSTALL. LONGER MOUNTING BOLTS INCLUDED.Click image for larger version. Name: IMG_4863.JPG Views: 27 Size: 37.3 KB ID: 179861Click image for larger version. Name: IMG_4862.JPG Views: 26 Size: 48.1 KB ID: 179862
    -THESE ARE THE OPAGUE AND BLEND WITH ANY COLOR, NOT CHROME.
    -COST $155 NEW, ASKING $100 PLUS SHIPPING COST/INSURANCE FROM ZIP CODE 32162.
    -I'M ONLY SELLING THESE ITEMS BECAUSE THEY DON'T FIT MY 2020. BOTH ARE IN PERFECT CONDITION!
    -LOCAL PICKUP AN OPTION.

Just saw these...this is what I'm talking about in the adjustable deflectors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Quite awhile back this topic came up and then many people reported the same issue ....( herd effect ? ) ..... I have the first edition of the 1330 engine on my 14 RT ..... I checked the Temp inside the glove box and the sides where your knee's are ..... I don't remember the exact temp difference but it wasn't more than 15 F for the knee area and only 25 F in the glove box ...... some folks are more sensitive than others ..... I also had an 08 GS and 11 RSS and they were hotter, but never got to be objectionable ....of course I never wore shorts when I ride ..... Mike
    I also have a 2014 RT. Since moving to Arkansas, I have had the pleasure of driving in 100 degree weather. Getting slowed down by any city traffic would bring on the cooling fans quickly. I have not experienced the "hot" feel either. The seats, being black, will pick up reflection from the sun. Leave that bike in the parking lot for half an hour on one of those days, and you will find the seat mostly unbearable. That may be what is happening.

Your solution may be as simple as adding a sheepskin cover or an AirHawk. Both will insulate you from direct contact with the seat. Don't buy "fake" sheepskin. It is not as good as the real thing.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-18-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red