Spyder Garage

Question Bike rack for Spyder?

My wife just got a Spyder. I have to admit I’m not a motorcycle person but this thing is kind of cool. Not saying she’ll convert me, but it’s a possibility. Anyway aside from riding her big passion is marathons/duathons/triathlons. She’d like to take it to races but would have to bring her race bicycle. Is there a bike rack for the Spyder’s trailer hitch? Or has anyone see one modified to fit?

As my screen name implies- I’m not a machinist but have worked with metal for years. I have access to tools like forge, grinder, milling machine, welder, etc. So I’m not entirely opposed to a diy solution.

Thanks

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is something I have not seen ( a bike rack for a Spyder). But I think you could make one easy enough. I have seen some racks the attach to the trailer hitch the flat mesh type that you put bags on. Rivco makes one and some here have made golf bag racks so bike rack is doable. Good luck with your search, maybe someone else here has see them or has one.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I have done marathons, tris and other types of endurance stuff. You always need tons of gear, nutrition, spares and normal clothes. I suggest you skip the DIY and go directly to a hitch and trailer like one of these:

http://luggandroll.com/remorques-mot...?section=13143

I see you are in IL. This product is Canadian, close to Montreal, QC. Maybe there is something similar in your area.

Good luck.

J
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Trailer good for non biking trips too otherwise if gonna DIY suggest going from passenger hand grips to avoid all the bouncing from swing arm
    (project ideas bubbling up) some pipe & u bolts could fab something quick. Careful to not block any of your lights& or plate

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks folks- that gives me some starting points. I hadn’t thought about blocking lights or plate. I’ll look for something similar to that trailer before going into “what can I build?” mode.

Spyder Garage

Check this out. You can give a call, and see what they can do. They are made to order.

https://2x2cycles.com

The site took awhile to load; maybe it's my Mac.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bladesmith View Post
    Thanks folks- that gives me some starting points. I hadn’t thought about blocking lights or plate. I’ll look for something similar to that trailer before going into “what can I build?” mode.
    I've fabbed some unusual stuff ( see my albums ) .... The best solution that has been mentioned above is get a small trailer and Fab a bracket that you can bolt onto the trailer to hold the bike ..... I would guess that a " one-off " rack from " 2x2 cycles is going to cost many $$$$ and it would do only One thing ..... The most unusual thing I ever saw being towed by a Spyder was a small Jet-Ski, I think His trailer had brakes .... good luck, keep us posted ...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Calling to get an actual quote, if interested, doesn't cost anything.

Spyder Garage

you could also try one of these from Northern Tool for $329 and put a floor on it with brackets for the bicycle
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2543_200612543
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind that the Spyder hitch is a poor excuse for a real hitch. It adds to unsprung weight and any load you put on it adds to what the shock has to control. Whatever is on a trailer or a hitch rack gets a very rough ride so plan accordingly . Just look around and see how many tow vehicles you see with the hitch attached to the rear wheels.

Spyder Garage

To look at from a different perspective, my wife and I over many decades had enough dough invested in top of the line and custom built bicycles that for our money and peace of mind the best place for transporting them was in one of our minivans and second best was atop a sedan with a Thule rack. Even today I don't mix my biking and Spydering.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    To look at from a different perspective, my wife and I over many decades had enough dough invested in top of the line and custom built bicycles that for our money and peace of mind the best place for transporting them was in one of our minivans and second best was atop a sedan with a Thule rack. Even today I don't mix my biking and Spydering.
    ... and the OP could mount that " Thule " rack on the floor of a small trailer ...... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Bladesmith,

My hats off to your wife. I got tired just reading those words marathon, duathlon, and triathlon, and I workout 5 days a week. I think JayBros got it when he said minivan. Your wife needs something to lounge around in while getting to the races; of course, you have to do the driving.

Spyder Garage

The best thing about the minivan is is the athletic event is some distance away the overnight security of the bikes in the van can't be beat. It's a PITA putting a bike on/off a roof rack just to stash it in a motel room for security and I never trusted ours 100% even though the rack was locked to the sedan and the bikes were locked to the rack.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi Dave, I'll send a few more knife pix in this thread.[ATTACH=CONFIG]183532[/ATTACHknife.jpg

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    It’s something to consider. This was one of those “popped in my head” moments after a conversation with her. When she gets home (she’s an RN on Covid hotspot placements) we’ll get more involved talking about what she wants/ needs. I’m going to show her this forum anyway. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Bladesmith,

My hats off to your wife. I got tired just reading those words marathon, duathlon, and triathlon, and I workout 5 days a week. I think JayBros got it when he said minivan. Your wife needs something to lounge around in while getting to the races; of course, you have to do the driving.
    This hobby is all her. I’m the official photographer & cheerleader as I’m allergic to exercise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi Dave, I'll send a few more knife pix in this thread.[ATTACH=CONFIG]183532[/ATTACHknife.jpg

Lew L
    I like it. Simple, clean, & useful is hard to beat when well executed.