Thread: RT Pet Carrier

Spyder Garage

Default RT Pet Carrier

Looking to buy a used Pets Carrier for my RT. The trick is I am in Canada, so shipping may be an issue.
    But if you have one maybe we can work something out.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Hi KAC, welcome to the Forum and Posting.

Just a quick question that might help you get the desired result.... How big is the pet that needs this carrier??

Would said pet fit in the Can-Am tank bag that my Miniture Maltese Max is sitting in as shown in my avatar pic?? (Look left ) Or do you need something that's maybe just a little bigger??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My pooch is a shih Tzu and 12 pounds. The wife has the same but hers is 7 pounds. Never thought of the tank bag. The wife may like that on her Spyder for he pooch.
    Thanks, will check and do a little more research.

Spyder Garage

My wife wears a baby papoose(snuggle) on her when we want to take 10# yorkie for a ride..sits in it like a (human baby) works perfect!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hi KAC, welcome to the Forum and Posting.

Just a quick question that might help you get the desired result.... How big is the pet that needs this carrier??

Would said pet fit in the Can-Am tank bag that my Miniture Maltese Max is sitting in as shown in my avatar pic?? (Look left ) Or do you need something that's maybe just a little bigger??
    In your photo with the pooch in tank bag, how did you attach the front of the bag? I believe i have the same bag however it is not made for the RT.

Spyder Garage

You're right 2dogs, in that it's not made specifically for the RT, but it came with a couple of loose brackets for the front & a 'sewed into a strap' angle bracket on the rear. I glued & screwed the wider of the two loose brackets onto the RT panel immediately in front of the glove box (it looked like it was a factory fitting there) and I cut the rear angle bracket metal bit out of it's sewed fabric loop, leaving the loop intact. That sewed loop then lay down into the gap between the seat and the glovebox panel, so I could then secure the rear of the tank bag with another fabric loop with 'click fittings' that went around the main frame & up thru the loop, letting me pull the tank bag tight down onto the top of the glove box. I added another looped strap around the frame that ran up thru that seat/glovebox gap & secured a harness for the Boy, so that he couldn't fall off; and just for my peace of mind, I also put velcro on the glovebox lid & the base of the tank bag, so it didn't move from its position on the lid - ever!! But I could still open & use the glovebox by lifting the seat & releasing the 'click fitting' strap so that the back end of the bag would lift - obviously only when we were stopped tho.

Still, that Can-Am tank bag is pretty small, only got used for good weather, round town trips, and Max really only just fitted cos he only weighed about 5# dripping wet with his ryding jacket & doggles on!! If your pet is any bigger than that, you might need a bigger bag. Max actually had a larger bag for longer trips &/or trips where the weather wasn't so nice, a bag that he could snuggle right down into and that had a top that I could pull shut to keep him completely out of the weather (one that opened towards the FRONT of the RT, cos all the wet stuff blew into the bag from the back/my side) Only because that bag was taller & potentially a bit less stable with the Boy inside, I fitted its 'strap down to the tank' base over the glovebox lid by hooking the 'hooked clips' into the dummy panel seam just below where your knees grip the RT's tupperware; I looped a front securing strap around the steering shaft to keep it all pulled forwards up against the bracket for the smaller bag, which stopped it covering the switch panel; and the rear locating straps looped thru the same frame strap down between the seat & glovebox. Of course, that made the glovebox pretty difficult to get into, but most of the 'frequent use' stuff I usually carried in that fitted into the pockets on the tank bag, and the rest stayed hidden in the now invisible hidey hole that was intended as the glovebox! That hidden hidey hole came in handy for those small but important/valuable & attractive bits of stuff that I didn't want to have to carry on my person ALL the time, but also didn't want to leave in any obvious storage spots if I had to leave the Spyder untended for a while anywhere during our longer trips. I could still access the glovebox if necessary (& stopped), but it took longer to loosen off all the straps so that I could.

Max rode on the Spyder with me for the last 6 of his 17 years until passing last year, and he absolutely loved racing thru the twisties in the little tank bag, leaning forward & often setting himself up to lean into the next corner even before I did! He 'tolerated' the more enclosed but roomier tank bag for the longer trips, because it let him still ryde with us and he could have a nap or get out of the weather if he needed to; but even so, his preferred position was always sitting up facing forwards, with his paws over the top edge of the bag & his doggles on, catching all the sights & smells as we rode along, posing for pics taken by passengers in the cages we passed, and basically having a great time.... it's just not quite the same now that he's gone. But he lived well, and he did absolutely everything with us for pretty much his entire life, enriching ours and bring joy to many.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

We run the Kuryakyn Pet Palace for our pup and it works great. Fits the rear seat very well and we also bought the Rivco RT Trunk Rack, which was designed to work with the Pet Palace specifically. You may not need the trunk rack, but the Pet Palace offers a little back support as well when on the rear seat. I wired up a heated seat warmer with a BMW plug so we can provide a little heat for the pet as well. Has worked well in all seasons, and been kept the pooch comfortable from 45ish to 100 degree weather. We do put in a hot water bottle as well to help sustain heat when it gets below 50 degrees. You can get it from Kuryakyn, Amazon, or many other retailers.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/5163/grand-pet-palace

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dog was a Cocker spaniel until he passed earlier this year. He was too big to ride with but he always wanted to go. He rode with me in the car and the truck and on the tractors, so he just assumed he could ride on the spyder. He's put his front feet up on the running board waiting to jump up and go, but sorry, no can ride the spyder, too big and no room. He never could understand.