Spyder Garage

Default Russell Day long or Ultimate Seat

Ok I don't want to sound like an @$$ with this thread but I am looking for opinions for those who have owned both the Russell day long seat and an Ultimate seat. I don't want the owners of the Russell to say they are the best because that is what they have and I don't want the owners of the Ultimate to say they are the best because that is what they have .. And either one has owned the other seat... Now that they are all weeded out LOL what one is more comfy ... ready and go ...............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know that's a loaded question. I never had a Russell Day Long but do hear wonderful things about there butts.

Same goes for the Ultimate seat is which I have and my butt likes it too.

Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I've had 2 Russell seats and 1 Ultimate seat. The Ultimate was ok for an hour at best. The Russell is good for as long as my legs could handle riding. My butt didn't get sore but my legs get stiff. Circulation problems. Have to get off after 2 hrs. Given a choice it's Russell.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I only have limited experience with the stock seat on a Spyder, but have had a Mayer Day-Long (before he retired and sold the company to Russell) and a Russell Day-Long on other bikes. The Mayer was perfect. It was done on a ride-in, on-site at their place in California. Just one minor adjustment after a test fitting, then they finished it and I rode it home.

The Russell was mail-ordered, and I made the mistake of ordering the heavy-duty foam, which was recommended for riders 225 pounds and up. I was right at that (just a bit more when geared up), so I ordered the heavy stuff. It never really broke in, so was hard as a rock the whole time I had it. A comfortable rock, but still not as comfortable as the Mayer was.

I have known people with an Ultimate seat and sat on their bikes, but have never ridden on one.

I know you were only asking about comparisons of the two brands, but I have heard a lot of good things about Seth Laam and his work. So much so, that I am considering contacting him to do a seat on one of my bikes.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Check into Laam seats. People love them and priced way under a RDL

Spyder Garage

I replied to your post on the facebook page but removed my comment when it looked like the post was going to be a Chevy Vs Ford debate. I have the Russell and really like it. It is comfortable and built to fit me. I have sat on many Ultimates and can't say they are bad or Russell is better, I simply like that I sent in the pictures with me sitting on the bike and the support under my under my butt and hamstring is nearly perfect, it took a little break in and getting used to have support where the BRP Comfort did not have it.

No two butts, bodies, sitting postures, riding styles are they same. Some people like a firm mattress others like a softer and then some like a combination in between. I would suggest seeing if you can find people to let you sit and try theirs, it is a big expense to get one or the other and then not like it.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Ok, having had all of the above:
    An Ultimate, Corbin, Sargent. Custom seat, not custom fitted to you.
    RDL or Laam, custom seat fitted to you. Had both, the Laam is a better value.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I have had 3 Russell seats on 3 different bikes (one was tried on my F3T). I currently have an Ultimate tall boy seat and I can ride all day with no problems. Did 425 miles, 450 miles and 850 miles in three consecutive days with absolutely no problems. You have to decide what is best for you.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I borrowed an Ultimate seat for a week on a Victory Cross Country. We took a 350 miles ride to run it through the paces. It was comfortable for about the 1st half of the ride and then the foam bottomed out to the seat pan. I now have a RDL on my BMW R 1200 RT for the past 25K miles. It has a similar riding position as the RTL my wife rides. It isn't perfect (No seat is for me) but I have ridden 10 hour days several times and I can ride 2 - 2-1/2 hours without much discomfort.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Cobras,

Joe has described the major difference above.....The Ultimate is a “nearly one size fits all”, and if you are the size it fits, it is wonderful. However, if you are not that size, it will quickly become uncomfortable.

The Daylong seats are made using your current seat pan (you have to send your seat in for mods....I think Laam is the same, but I’m not sure), and are designed specifically for you based on photos and personal details. They guarantee all day comfort, and if you don’t get it, they will modify the seat for you. You rarely hear of anyone sending a Daylong or Laam back like Steve W above (and it does sound like he made a bad call on foam selection).

I am 6’7” and 300lbs, and Daylong made my seat 2” longer, 1.5” taller with heavy duty springing.......yep, all day comfort. I factor in the cost of a Daylong or Laam to every new bike I buy.

That said, if you can get your hands on an Ultimate that you can return after a long test ride for minimal $ loss, that is of course the easiest option.

Hope that helps.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Ultimate Seat does have a 14 day return policy on all their seats, so if for some reason you don't like it you can contact them about returning the seat. The 14 days should give you plenty of time to decide if it will work for you.
    Dave....

BRP Passenger Backrest
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

I've had both on my 2015 RTL. Both are good and I preferred the Russell. I've also had Russells on several other bikes and I've always been pleased. Some I've purchased new and some I've purchased used. The one for my 2015 RTL was used and replaced my Ultimate that I purchased new.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I've had two Ultimates. Happy with them!
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have had:Corbin, Mustang, RDL, Ultimate, LAAM seats. All are great seats, if they fit you. Of all the seats listed, LAAM is by far the best bang for your buck. Custom made for your butt. RDL is also, but very expensive. Ultimate is a great seat if it fits you. But it too is expensive. Corbin is expensive and has no customer service. Mustang if it fits your butt is also a good choice. Shipping these seats is expensive. I would highly recommend Seth Laam to make you a custom seat. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

thank you all for your insights. Can those who have had both tell me what one has more support for the back ? I do currently have the RDL and I am not sure if it has the back support that I need. I can't do anything about a back rest right now due to having to ship the passenger seat back for this to happen. The Ultimate looks like it has more back support. I had an Ultimate on a RT but that doesn't count because for me the bike was uncomfortable anyway.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have have the Ultimate seat and backrest on our F3Ls. With the backrest the seat is totally comfortable.
    Dave....

BRP Passenger Backrest
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cobraswinger View Post
    thank you all for your insights. Can those who have had both tell me what one has more support for the back ? I do currently have the RDL and I am not sure if it has the back support that I need. I can't do anything about a back rest right now due to having to ship the passenger seat back for this to happen. The Ultimate looks like it has more back support. I had an Ultimate on a RT but that doesn't count because for me the bike was uncomfortable anyway.
    I'm a little confused about the backrest comment. Do you have an F3 model. If you do the backrest does not go in the passenger seat. It go's between the 2 seats. Lamonster has the ultimate backrest with bracket on his website. I've never found any seat to give much back support alone. Russels may go in the back seat. I found them to be uncomfortable. Talk to Lamonster.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

JP, I have a Russell day long. The bracket for the drivers backrest is mounted on the passenger seat and they have to alter the seat to make it fit. So I have to ship it to Russell so at this time of the year isn't an option. I will check out Lamonster though. I treid to have a back rest installed at Spyderquest in Lake George last year but because the seat was larger than stock it wouldn't fit. Thanks for the tip !!

Spyder Garage

JP, I have a Russell day long. The bracket for the drivers backrest is mounted on the passenger seat and they have to alter the seat to make it fit. So I have to ship it to Russell so at this time of the year isn't an option. I will check out Lamonster though. I treid to have a back rest installed at Spyderquest in Lake George last year but because the seat was larger than stock it wouldn't fit. Thanks for the tip !!
    Cobra, I’m surprised you couldn’t fit a stock backrest to your Daylong.... mind you, you haven’t yet said what type or year Spyder you have, just a reference to “had an Ultimate on a RT”, which sounds like it was a previous ride.....of course, I may have missed it.
    I ride a 16 F3-L with a Daylong seat that has been extended for long legs, and a passenger seat that has the rider backrest slot. I can still fit my original OEM backrest into the Spyder seat post, with the passenger seat in place.

Pete

FCFDB843-A9EA-4CA6-B972-9F9CE27DE4B2.jpg
    18655DDC-8F9D-456C-B796-7940425BAF92.jpg
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 17 F3T and I do not have the slot for the riders backrest .... If I did it would be problem solved.... maybe still wondering if the ultimate with the back support would be better

Spyder Garage

I have a 17 F3T and I do not have the slot for the riders backrest .... If I did it would be problem solved.... maybe still wondering if the ultimate with the back support would be better
    Ahhhhh. Sorry, my mistake.... I thought the L and T came with the bracket regardless of whether you ordered the backrest at purchase. Looks like a trial run of the Ultimate may indeed be your best course of action, especially as MNBK says above that they have a 14 day return option.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.