Spyder Garage

Default I have a pleasant problem

Let me just say, with a lot of people out there struggling day-to-day right now, I have been hesitant to post this. My problem is not a real problem, and I hope I do not offend anyone who is currently going through tough times.

I currently have a 2015 STS SM5 and a 2016 fully equipped Gold Wing. I have been spending more time on the Spyder than the GW lately. Here in lies the "problem" ... I think I like being on three wheels more than two.

The most significant reason is the stability of the Spyder compared to a two-wheeler. When entering curves on two wheels, a fear creeps in about what that curve may be presenting with ... loose gravel? broken glass? tar snakes? ... and how that could result in not a good day. This is not an issue with the Spyder, and therefore, while riding the Wing in the curves may be more organically thrilling, the threat takes away from the experience and subtracts from the level of enjoyment. There are so many scenarios that I could go through, case by case, that are similar to this one, but they are all related to stability. Even when coming to a stop, it becomes a pucker moment when your left foot goes down only to find a loose surface underfoot. It is nice just coming to a stop and that is it - it is a drama free experience.

Safety is another reason. I am not sure, in the long run, how much safer one is on a Spyder than a two-wheeler, but it sure feels that way. Psychologically, that is important. Feeling safer makes one more relaxed, and able to react proportionally in the event an evasive maneuver is required. Speaking of evasive maneuvers, I have proven to myself that I have the physical skills to manage a big bike through advanced rider courses and practicing on my own. However, in a situation where a car or deer pulls out in front of me, I don't know if my physical response is aligned to my emotional response, knowing I could so easily end up sliding down the road and into or under a car, guardrail posts, or anything else that flesh and bone does not hold up well to. Is all of this possible in an accident on a Spyder too? Yes, but I believe it is far less likely because "going down" is not in the equation with a Spyder. Yes, you could go flying off after a collision, and you could be subject to all of those things, but those scenarios are seemingly more limited.

Overall, the Spyder allows me to enjoy my knees in the breeze more. I am torn because riding a two-wheeler is a blast and there not much else like it. But it is higher risk. I have been thinking about a 2020 RT Limited, which would combine the Wing and Spyder experience, but I just bought my Wing last year and I just put $1500 worth of accessories on it. I need more time, this is a new thing, not one I have been thinking about for months or years yet. Plus, I do like my STS with the 5 speed manual - fun to ride and I prefer a clutch/manual shift or a dual-clutch automatic over the semi-automatic that the Spyder use exclusively now. I also am wondering if my STS ... black/orange/blue with a clutch ... will have some collectible value at some point down the road. There aren't many of this combination around.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

So far, there does not seem to be much value when it comes to older Spyders. The only one out there that may be worth something is the purported #1 given to Jay Leno.

Premier and Special Edition models have not been that hot as collectibles. Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We were in the same boat, too many motorcycles and not enough riding of them. Without delving into the reasons one is getting ridden or not, I would say go with the one that you naturally gravitate to these days. What do you use more? We had a Harley FLHS I rode and loved for 28 years, but it got so it was moved around in the garage much more than it was on the road.

Sounds like you have made a decision about the Wing, but are reticent about selling a recent purchase. If you can, you could keep it and see how much it gets ridden. Bikes are made to be ridden, so I sold it on to someone who will use it. You may do the same. Enjoy riding the Wing, but notice how much time on the road it gets. It may be the cost/benefit/fun ratio due to maintenance, insurance, space, having to move it around, cleaning and such gets to the point you find selling it on is the best choice for the bike and you.
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I tell both riders and non riders; a Spyder offers up all the joys of a two wheeler without any of the worries.
    My last MC was a Victory Cross Roads, the best bike I ever had in 68 years of two wheeling. It was a joy in every respect, bar none. Yet, I find myself craving to ride my Spyder far more often. it's giving even more joy than any two wheeler did and for all the reasons VStarRider gave and more.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

You only live once and as long as you aren't over extending your finances, no problem in having both. The STS is unlikely to appreciate overtime aside from your own enjoyment. So either keep it knowing it will depreciate more or sell it now and get the 2020 (or 2021 assuming early model kinks are worked out). The STS will be worth more to you than the cash value at time of sale.

That being said, your wing will offer more "knees in the breeze" because it has a slightly smaller faring than the 2020 RT. I road my wife's RT the other day in our 90+ degree weather and found it needs loads more wind flow. I am still super hot on the motorcycle, but at speed it is more manageable. In the Fall and Spring they are equally enjoyable from that stand point.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You're expressing some of the same sentiments I had when I gave up my 2005 Goldwing for a Spyder. One difference though, is I had had mine 8 years. One day I was on a long sweeping curve on I-15 in Utah on my 'wing going 80 mph. All of a sudden I thought, "If anything goes wrong, like hitting a rabbit crossing the road or a rock, I was a goner!" On my way home after my first long trip on my 2013 RT I stopped for gas. As I was walking into the C-store I realized I was feeling safer on the Spyder at 80 mph than I ever did on the Goldwing at 70. For me, riding the Spyder reinstilled the joy of riding.

If cost isn't an impediment, and safety is a concern, then by all means make the switch! Peace of mind is worth a lot!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OP: I concur. I'd been a 2 wheel rider for 40+ years. I was off a 2 wheeler for about a year and bought a super 2014 Kawasaki Nomad in January this year. (I'm in NC where we tend to ride year round.) I put a bunch of money in it (new tires, remapped ECU, crashbar chaps, etc) and started riding it. I had concerns about everything you said, lowsiding in gravel or leaves, a rabbit in the road, putting my foot down on gravel, etc, etc. While I enjoyed the ride, I didn't really ENJOY the ride. Those fears/concerns kept creeping in. A month later, I bought my 1st Spyder (new 2018 RT Limited). I probably haven't ridden the Nomad more than 50 miles since and only then to keep things fresh (oil, gas, etc). Even working 60-70 hours/week, I've put over 2k miles on the Spyder. Every curve I see, I just want to go faster. When I was on 2 wheels, I'd slow down for every curve. Still looking for someone to buy my Nomad as it will make someone a great bike but it won't make ME a great bike.

Spyder Garage

I and many others have taken to three wheels for just the reasons you listed. My wife and I have been riding for 45 years and all of that time she has been happy as a passenger. We looked into training and a bike for her, but she gets far more enjoyment from sitting back there and taking in the world around us as we ride. That being said, I was no longer as comfortable keeping Me, her, and 50 pounds of laundry in an upright position for hours on end. The Spyder really makes that job much more enjoyable. We can put in a 500 mile day and I arrive much more relaxed than I would on two wheels. I hated to admit that at first, but we all get older if we're lucky and this is just part of aging. I am just happy that we both are healthy enough to travel and actually enjoy the adventures we get into. I find that I still enjoy an occasional trip on two wheels so I downsized to my current solo touring bike. A Moto Guzzi VII 750. It is light and agile enough for me to handle, easy and cheap to maintain, and has enough power and comfort to make me happy. I am fortunate to have a wife who encourages me to take an occasional solo trip either alone or with some pals. As far as a Spyder ever being an "Item" I really have my doubts. Looking at the big picture very few motor vehicles ever each the collector status. Many vehicles are valued for their nostalgia and their owners think they are worth a bundle, but in reality that $$$ just isn't there. I have a couple of friends who just HAD to have the 100th anniversary HD's and one even removed all of the painted parts and replaced them and then stored the anniversary parts so they would remain in pristine condition. You wanna take a guess what those parts and the anniversary bikes are worth today. They are a dime a dozen here in southern Ohio and worth no more than any other older HD. If you buy a vehicle with intentions of using it for retirement income you're not going to retire very well. Buy what you like, enjoy it to the fullest, and sell it for what you can get or pass it onto someone.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

These past few months have distilled what is important. To that end, we sold an F3T, a Harley, and a KTM SuperAdventure. We bought a RT, and a Superduke GT. I think we might be right sized. I still have a 2018 Wing.
    Got plenty more stuff to purge. Junk, mostly.
    Motorcycles are a depreciating asset. The only way they are of value is if they are ridden. So, go ride!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I bought an RT Limited for touring and sold my '01 Goldwing. It's just a totally easier affair 2-up touring with the RT: easier getting on and off, more storage, easier on my knees. The Goldwing is a heavy beast and I was reaching my limits in 2-up riding. I've kept my old Roadstar, it's set up with a solo seat and is just fine to beat around with.

Spyder Garage

I've been on 2 wheels for 25 years (a puppy compared to some of you!). I have a beautiful black 2011 BMW F800ST in my garage that is now for sale since deciding to go with 3. I love that bike, and it really was ME, but I got so tired of the uneasy feeling of moving it around and it threatening to tip over (like when parking or moving it on gravel, doing a u-turn at slow speed on a grade, etc.). I just want to enjoy the wind in my hair, and having my 2013 ST is such a relief. I also love having reverse for backing into the garage!
    2013 ST , Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I also love having reverse for backing into the garage!
    Plus all of the previous reasons!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-26-2020 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Fixed colour/quote mismatch in display

Spyder Garage

I have owned Goldwings and 2 RT Spyders Bought the spyder mostly so my wife could ride again.She had 2 wheels but stability force her to sell.I don't have the fear of gravel in corners or sand I do my best to look ahead and enjoy the ride.Nothing like leaning into the curves for me.But if you don't feel comfortable go and ride 3 wheels if it's not fun then it's not relaxing
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Spyder Garage

Great replies, thanks to everyone who chimed in. I appreciate it.

To add a little context, I am 44 y/o, and have been on two wheels for ten years, minus a year after I had an accident. I have totaled 60,000 miles in that time, most of it on Wings (F6B, then full Wing). I love riding the Wing - it is a great machine. However, as I originally posted and as others have posted, there are just so many scenarios that have the potential to not end well on two wheels that are not, or not likely, to be in the mix with three wheels. I have never been one to disregard safety and risk; rather, I am aware of it and try to mitigate it, but on two wheels, that maze just comes to a dead end in too many places for me to ever be completely comfortable. That being said, I bought the STS in May 2020 and only have put 1500 miles on it, so I need to keep things in perspective.

My Wing will be paid off one year from now. I am in no hurry to make any decisions; I do not want to even think about selling it at this time, it is a great machine. Time will tell, however. It has 12,700 miles on it. If it doesn't have quite a few more on it by spring 2022, it may have a for sale sign on it. I am not going to rush into a decision, I have done that too many times in my past to not have learned to let these kinda things simmer for awhile before doing anything drastic.

Please continue to chime in, I enjoy reading the posts as I process through all of this.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

My 03 wing was just collecting dust,new Spyder getting a good workout since I no longer worry about things like gravel,holding up,side winds,oily toll booths,etc.Plus the Wing ate tires quick.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

As much as I like my ( and so does my wife ) I'll be keeping the old, slow V-Max. Neither motors are stock but you just can't beat the V-boost with out buying a sport bike ( been there/done that).Did have a Honda Valkyrie in the stable also- a great big bike that will show its tail light to many a curzer .
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    The most significant reason is the stability of the Spyder compared to a two-wheeler. When entering curves on two wheels, a fear creeps in about what that curve may be presenting with ... loose gravel? broken glass? tar snakes? ...
    I was looking at getting something to enjoy when I retire. Late midlife crisis maybe. Took several two wheelers for a test and loved the new Royal Enfield Interceptor and looked at many others. Your comments kept creeping into front of mind every time I drove our local roads which are narrow and twisty. The narrow and twisty wasn't the issue it was the some times kilometres long strips of diesel left by buses and trucks which were either missing their fuel caps or were overfilled. Add to that plenty of wet weather in our area and it becomes lethal. I felt I too would be so hesitant coming into bends that it would take away a lot of the enjoyment so 3 wheels won out. No regrets and I have the quads and my son's trail bike if I want to be a bit more adventurous.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Once those seeds of doubt about your safety/stability on 2 wheels have entered your subconscious there is no getting rid of them.

Sell the 2 wheels.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Oldgoat you are 100% right. I have ridden for over 50 years. Street, highway,trail, trials, mx, road race whatever. I knew I could fall down ( and did many times) and knew I would be ok unless I " hit something in the air". But after the second highway accident in 3 months,both my fault, I know something had changed and I couldn't ride 2 wheels any more.At 63 in good health, I was done. But not finished, so here I am 10 years later on 3, hoping to go on another 10 on 3wheels. So VStarRider as soon as you can get past the emotional attachment to the wing, sell it, or it will end up like my last Venture Royale. In the garage under wraps 35 years old unridden and only worth being parted out. I just can't bear that thought so I'll keep it till I die and the kids can do it.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Let me just say, with a lot of people out there struggling day-to-day right now, I have been hesitant to post this. My problem is not a real problem, and I hope I do not offend anyone who is currently going through tough times.

I currently have a 2015 STS SM5 and a 2016 fully equipped Gold Wing. I have been spending more time on the Spyder than the GW lately. Here in lies the "problem" ... I think I like being on three wheels more than two.

The most significant reason is the stability of the Spyder compared to a two-wheeler. When entering curves on two wheels, a fear creeps in about what that curve may be presenting with ... loose gravel? broken glass? tar snakes? ... and how that could result in not a good day. This is not an issue with the Spyder, and therefore, while riding the Wing in the curves may be more organically thrilling, the threat takes away from the experience and subtracts from the level of enjoyment. There are so many scenarios that I could go through, case by case, that are similar to this one, but they are all related to stability. Even when coming to a stop, it becomes a pucker moment when your left foot goes down only to find a loose surface underfoot. It is nice just coming to a stop and that is it - it is a drama free experience.

Safety is another reason. I am not sure, in the long run, how much safer one is on a Spyder than a two-wheeler, but it sure feels that way. Psychologically, that is important. Feeling safer makes one more relaxed, and able to react proportionally in the event an evasive maneuver is required. Speaking of evasive maneuvers, I have proven to myself that I have the physical skills to manage a big bike through advanced rider courses and practicing on my own. However, in a situation where a car or deer pulls out in front of me, I don't know if my physical response is aligned to my emotional response, knowing I could so easily end up sliding down the road and into or under a car, guardrail posts, or anything else that flesh and bone does not hold up well to. Is all of this possible in an accident on a Spyder too? Yes, but I believe it is far less likely because "going down" is not in the equation with a Spyder. Yes, you could go flying off after a collision, and you could be subject to all of those things, but those scenarios are seemingly more limited.

Overall, the Spyder allows me to enjoy my knees in the breeze more. I am torn because riding a two-wheeler is a blast and there not much else like it. But it is higher risk. I have been thinking about a 2020 RT Limited, which would combine the Wing and Spyder experience, but I just bought my Wing last year and I just put $1500 worth of accessories on it. I need more time, this is a new thing, not one I have been thinking about for months or years yet. Plus, I do like my STS with the 5 speed manual - fun to ride and I prefer a clutch/manual shift or a dual-clutch automatic over the semi-automatic that the Spyder use exclusively now. I also am wondering if my STS ... black/orange/blue with a clutch ... will have some collectible value at some point down the road. There aren't many of this combination around.
    I am twice your age and still long for the power of my ‘99 Valkyrie or my ‘02 GL 1800. Despite that I know I made the correct decision when I opted to move to three wheels back in 2011. That could be why I am still here.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default 60 years of 2 wheels . . .

Including 200,000 + miles on BMWs. Wife had decided she wanted to ride, but at 4'10" her options were limited. In 08 Spyders came out, she got one, we built it into a touring ryde (I of course had to try each mod for does it work). So when i was taken out by Lyme, during recovery i still wanted to ride, and a limited knee, i knew an option - hence the 15 RT, trading the Beemer. While i do at times miss the leans and the passenger nap-ability of the Beemers, the comfort and lower risk (tar snakes, gravel lots, sand in corners) of the Spyder has made it a keeper.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    My 03 wing was just collecting dust,new Spyder getting a good workout since I no longer worry about things like gravel,holding up,side winds,oily toll booths,etc.Plus the Wing ate tires quick.
    I and my passenger friend was facing the same issue on the Scout, but spyder did a good job in saving from things like dust, gravel, and winds, etc.