Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there a way to defeat hyperflash 2018+ other than a resistor

Putting a resistor across the + & - wires seems to negate the voltage savings of an LED.

Asking for a friend...
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Somewhere on this forum, was posted a reply that said the linked bulbs will stop hyper-flash. I don't remember where it was posted, but I did write the link down so that if I ever needed it, I could order some and try it. I have no idea where the thread it was posted on is now.

https://www.amazon.com/EverBright-Ex...5617762&sr=8-1
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

When SpyderPops installed a bunch of LED's I had the hyperflash and he somehow he punched some buttons on the left controls on the handlebar and stopped the hyperflash. I don't remember the correct button sequence he did though. Maybe someone whill chime in shortly with the answer.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I tried that repeatedly on my 2019 and I couldn’t get it to work. If you’re trying to save electricity remember that the bike has a 90a alternator, so you’re not likely to see a significant gain by installing LEDs.
    2019 F3S SM6
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    When SpyderPops installed a bunch of LED's I had the hyperflash and he somehow he punched some buttons on the left controls on the handlebar and stopped the hyperflash. I don't remember the correct button sequence he did though. Maybe someone whill chime in shortly with the answer.
    Yeah, the hyperflash “fix” worked ok for our models, Ex-Rocket, but does not work for the later 18+ models.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Somewhere on this forum, was posted a reply that said the linked bulbs will stop hyper-flash. I don't remember where it was posted, but I did write the link down so that if I ever needed it, I could order some and try it. I have no idea where the thread it was posted on is now.

I just put those LEDs in my 2018 and they hyper flash. The programming for earlier models does not work.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post

I might be the one that posted about those bulbs. I was hoping that the "no CAN-BUS error" meant "no hyperflash", but was also prepared to take other steps, if necessary.

I got the hyperflash. I went through Lamonster's procedure, it did not help. I got a pair of 6Ω resistors. Installed properly (across the turn signal leads like another bulb), still did not help. Tried the two of them in series (for a 12Ω load), no help. Tired them in parallel (for a 3Ω load), STILL no help.

I noticed that the signals seemed to operate normally until the engine was running. Then they would hyperflash. I had one more inspiration and tried Lamonster's procedure with the engine running, not just with the key ON.

THE HYPERFLASH IS GONE!!

I don't know what differences there might be on your 2018, but this worked on my wife's 2017 RT-S.

The resistors are still installed. Not sure if I would be motivated enough to remove them and try again.
    Since they are working fine (for now), I will probably just leave them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I just put those LEDs in my 2018 and they hyper flash. The programming for earlier models does not work.
    Did you try the remedy with the engine running? That is what worked for me.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Sequence didn't work on my 2019 F3S ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I did not work for my 2018 RT-L. I am returning to LEDs to Amazon today, unless someone comes up with a program sequence for 2018+ Spyders. I do not want to install resistors and that defeats one of the advantages of LEDs.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I'd go ahead and put the resisors in. Have you tried in series with the bulbs ?
    In my opinion, the main advantage to LED's in a motor vehicle is the brightness, and the long long life, the power savings isn't really an issue with the engine running.
    Now in a sailboat, that's another story.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Hyper flash is kinda sexy. I defeated it on my spyder by adding a relay in line to work with the lights but I was adding lights. Dunno if that's a fix for all... 2016 until I discovered the programing. One may be able to add an auxiliary bulb in line which is what I fixed the hyper flash before learning the procedure. Watch this video to see what the dash lights do. If you wait long enough you may see it. I had someone here tell me that it worked on their 2018+. This dash light flash is visible in Lamont's video as well. If you can see it, the fix might work. I don't know anyone here in Greenville SC who owns a Spyder much less try one.

2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I did not work for my 2018 RT-L. I am returning to LEDs to Amazon today, unless someone comes up with a program sequence for 2018+ Spyders. I do not want to install resistors and that defeats one of the advantages of LEDs.
    I ended up installing 8 ohm 50 W resistors and all is good. The LED are very bright. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No metal in the area behind the tail lights so I mounted the resistors on nylon standoffs so air can flow around them.

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do not want to install resistors and that defeats one of the advantages of LEDs.
    Yes, you can certainly save some energy by switching to LEDs, but on a Spyder, it's irrelevant. The alternator is capable of putting out so much more than the bike needs, so there is no need to scrimp on a couple of amps here and there.

There are advantages to LEDs that are a bit more important than energy savings.
    1. They light up quicker. Depending on the bulb/LED, it might be up to half a second quicker. "Half a second?" Yeah, it's not much, but every little bit counts.
    2. They usually last a lot longer.
    3. If proper LEDs are used, they are usually brighter.
    4. They cost more money, so you can justify bragging about them.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I highly favor LED lighting, but will not add resistors to be able to do so.
    1. Do not like the heat
    2. No current draw improvement
    3. I've added LED turns when a M/C flasher can be replaced with a timed flash, rather than based upon load
    4. Flashers are illuminated briefly, so LED life not usually a benefit. Great benefit for tail/brake, etc.

Regarding hyperflash, most (all?) states have adopted SAE standards of 60-120 flashes per minute.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Yes, you can certainly save some energy by switching to LEDs, but on a Spyder, it's irrelevant. The alternator is capable of putting out so much more than the bike needs, so there is no need to scrimp on a couple of amps here and there.

There are advantages to LEDs that are a bit more important than energy savings.
    1. They light up quicker. Depending on the bulb/LED, it might be up to half a second quicker. "Half a second?" Yeah, it's not much, but every little bit counts.
    2. They usually last a lot longer.
    3. If proper LEDs are used, they are usually brighter.
    4. They cost more money, so you can justify bragging about them.

5. You can strobe LEDs. No can do with incandescent.

Illustrated: