Spyder Garage

Default 28k miles service

I have a 2015 RTL with 27k miles. According to the manual there is a 28k miles service. The dealer quoted $2k to do the full service and $1k to do the HCM oil filter, canister pre filter, fuel filter, air filter and coolant. He said the front clip will have to be removed to do the coolant. His quote
    "Gone are the days of removing an 8mm hex head and draining the coolant at at the water pump, there is nothing easy on these spyders." And don't suggest I do it myself; too old to do that kind of work now.
    What have you guys done and how much do you think is necessary?
    Thanks for your input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did the engine oil and filter, the HCM filter, and the air filter. My coolant tested fine so it didn't get replaced. I didn't do the fuel filter, but probably will this winter when I do a brake fluid flush. I have the luxury of still being able to do my own work. My 2015 has 33,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. Parts through a dealership are not cheap and labor isn't either. $2K sounds excessive, but I can see it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    And don't suggest I do it myself; too old to do that kind of work now.
    What have you guys done and how much do you think is necessary?
    I'm 84 and do not trust other guys with tools and my things, so I do my own maintenance. The HCM filter is so easy, even my 10 year old great grandson can do it. I'm teaching him mechanics and he removed the cat and installed the delete. RTs are more time consuming due to the acres of Tupperware that needs to be removed, but those filter changes are not brain surgery - at least to me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

All you do is remove the lower radiator hose to drain it.

The more time consuming is the HCM and Gas filter.

Pre canister is behind the left saddlebag mounted on the frame. Most likely will not need replacing but could be checked. Mine looked like new when I replaced mine.

Air filter is on the left side and more plastic to remove.

Spyder Garage

Trikermutha is correct about draining the cooling system; you just remove the lower right radiator hose. The frunk does not need to be removed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I just did my 2015 RT 28,000 mile maintenance also. Removing and replacing the necessary Tupperware is the biggest part of the job.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, it's a PITA to have to remove the left top side and rear panels just to get to the emissions pre-filter; takes longer to remove and reinstall the Tupperware than to change the filter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S