Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What are the differences between '19 and '20 F3T/L?

My 2018 RTL doesn't have nearly enough leg room so I'm thinking about trading it in for an F3. Not sure if I want/need a T or an L. I don't really need the trunk but for a grand more it might be worth it. There are some decent deals on 2019 models now (and I expect screaming deals this fall when the 2021's come out). Other than the new tank mounted audio pad, what's the difference between the 2019 and 2020 F3T and 2019 and 2020 F3L? (I know what the differences are between the T and L.) Also, is the trunk on the L removable like on the new RT?

99.9% of the time, I listen to music via a BT headset so I'm not really seeing where the redundant audio controls would do me much good. Not sure the trunk would do much good, either, as almost all of my riding is day trips but it could be handy and it adds the extra running/brake light so that's not a bad thing. I ride year round so heated grips are a MUST. I understand they can be added to a T but there's another $500 (incl labor).

If I trade up (?) to an F3, the first "mods" would be Pierres Ultimate floorboards, Utopia backrest, a "real" windscreen, fog lights and front fender lights (gotta be seen).

I'd really like to test ride an F3T/L for about 30 minutes before making my decision but none of the local dealers seem to be helpful.

HAGO!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Someone else will have to verify this, but I believe that the attachment of the rear trunk box on the 2020 is setup to be taken off like on the 2020RTL. In other words, it is sort of a quick detach thing. The previous models took more time to remove. Hopefully someone with one of those will give you an accurate account. If you don't mind the ride, I am outside of Raleigh. I have a 2016 F3T that we can take out for a 1/2 day ride if you would like. I know there have been some refinements since then, but it will give you an idea on how the leg room will work for you. I had a similar issue when I had my 2014 RT. The 2015 F3 came out and no local dealerships would even give me a test ride. Fortunately, we were on our annual mountain trip in Maggie Valley and I came across Lamont and Joan. They were passing through on a ride and we ended up at the same hotel. After talking for a while, he gave me the keys and said, "here, go give mine a try". The rest is history.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

One big difference is between $2K and $4K depending on the current deals on 19's. If you can get any of the rebates, you may consiider the trunk on the L to be a freebie.

When I was considering the 20 RT, I was actually liking the "no trunk" T version. It seems a pity to have to pay a grand or more for the flimsy trunk that they are now using. I will take it for free, but no way going to pay extra for it.

I was a dyed in the wool RT person (had three of them since 2010). Never liked the sitting position of the F3 when I test sat at my original dealer. Nevertheless, I purchased a F3L (2019) from iMoto by e-mail, and did not test drive either. When it arrived, I LOVED it. It took about 10 miles and I am now a F3 person. We still have a 2014 RT-S, but that is now Linda's ride.

I did some research and had the short reach bars and brake position #2 added through U-fit...turned out to be right on for me. I sit IN the F3. Not ON as with the RT.

Other specs, are going to have to be your decisions.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-22-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Someone else will have to verify this, but I believe that the attachment of the rear trunk box on the 2020 is setup to be taken off like on the 2020RTL. In other words, it is sort of a quick detach thing. The previous models took more time to remove. Hopefully someone with one of those will give you an accurate account. If you don't mind the ride, I am outside of Raleigh. I have a 2016 F3T that we can take out for a 1/2 day ride if you would like. I know there have been some refinements since then, but it will give you an idea on how the leg room will work for you. I had a similar issue when I had my 2014 RT. The 2015 F3 came out and no local dealerships would even give me a test ride. Fortunately, we were on our annual mountain trip in Maggie Valley and I came across Lamont and Joan. They were passing through on a ride and we ended up at the same hotel. After talking for a while, he gave me the keys and said, "here, go give mine a try". The rest is history.
    Yes, they have the LINQ system on the 20's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

The L becomes a T in about a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLWM1Fp4eNw&t=2m10s
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

The 2020 has the linq system. They fixed the flimsy trunk lid that plagues previous years. Beside the tank pad control there is a volume up down on the left handlebar control. Colors. That's about it.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, since I rarely if ever use the onboard audio system, the only real deciding factor (other than dead presidents) is the LinQ system. We'll have to see how creative some of the "local" dealers (would have to be local as I'd have to trade in my current RTL) will be if I decide to buy. The dealer I bought my RTL from has just ONE Spyder in stock, a 2019 F3L. Nice but they want full MSRP for it. I don't know that I'd pay that for a current year model. Damn sure I wouldn't pay that for a previous year model. We'll see if they still have it once they start getting the '21s in.

Thanks, guys!

HAGO!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    So, since I rarely if ever use the onboard audio system, the only real deciding factor (other than dead presidents) is the LinQ system. We'll have to see how creative some of the "local" dealers (would have to be local as I'd have to trade in my current RTL) will be if I decide to buy. The dealer I bought my RTL from has just ONE Spyder in stock, a 2019 F3L. Nice but they want full MSRP for it. I don't know that I'd pay that for a current year model. Damn sure I wouldn't pay that for a previous year model. We'll see if they still have it once they start getting the '21s in.

Thanks, guys!

HAGO!
    I forgot to mention in my PM, but give Imotorsports a try. All trade in values are about the same, and their prices on leftover bikes is awesome. And they deliver for free. If I buy another new spyder, I will definitely go with them.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

in case you havent noticed most dealerships are running very low on inventory new or used