Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    Glad to hear it worked for you.

When I took delivery on my 2014 base model RT the dealer forgot to put air into the rear suspension. The ride home was horrible and was bottoming out on the smallest bumps and wallowing in every turn. I was drawing a blank, so I called Joe Meyers and after talking to him on the phone, he suggested I check the air pressure on the suspension bag, and sure enough, there was literally no air in it. I pumped it up to about 70# and problem solved. When pumping up the air bag I watched the rear of the bike rise to the proper ride height.
    Correct and my rear shock is doing the same thing but without the air bag and compressor. Still have it hooked up and never turns on. I dont have to worry about bottoming out or air leaks anymore.

Take Care!

Spyder Garage

Well, whoever said it was "easy" to bypass the compressor... That sucked. had the plastic off both sides, and still could not get the hose off the air bag. Fortunately we were able to get a coupler to connect the line from the bag to the valve so at least everything is together and going. If the bag has a leak, it's a very slow one. I put about 50lbs in it, put all the plastic back on, and when I checked it was still pretty close to 50. Not sure how much air leaked out each time I checked it so I'm taking it as a good sign. Couldn't ride today with the storm coming our way so I'll check tomorrow.

I was telling my brother about Larryd's setup and he doesn't think it should be too difficult. Did you disconnect the leveling sensor? Also, how did you hook up the external hose?

Since it seems Elka is behind on orders, if nothing is leaking, it'll stay like this for a while. But I want to change the shocks so when I do, the compressor gets replaced along with all new hoses and maybe dump valve as well. Already picked up the fernco cap.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

My 2014 would "leak" down slightly over time. I'd have to add about 20# of air about every six months or so. It was something I never worried about.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Well, whoever said it was "easy" to bypass the compressor... That sucked. had the plastic off both sides, and still could not get the hose off the air bag. Fortunately we were able to get a coupler to connect the line from the bag to the valve so at least everything is together and going. If the bag has a leak, it's a very slow one. I put about 50lbs in it, put all the plastic back on, and when I checked it was still pretty close to 50. Not sure how much air leaked out each time I checked it so I'm taking it as a good sign. Couldn't ride today with the storm coming our way so I'll check tomorrow.

I was telling my brother about Larryd's setup and he doesn't think it should be too difficult. Did you disconnect the leveling sensor? Also, how did you hook up the external hose?

Since it seems Elka is behind on orders, if nothing is leaking, it'll stay like this for a while. But I want to change the shocks so when I do, the compressor gets replaced along with all new hoses and maybe dump valve as well. Already picked up the fernco cap.
    I removed the rod off the leveling sensor...Let the wiring plug still connected to the sensor...You can unplug the sensor if you have the BUDS to turn off the air ride...The external hose is easy, buy a 1/4" plastic coiled air line and you can purchase a thread on adapter that will thread on the schrader valve under the seat...The compressor needs to be controlled by you...I rewired and used the stock rocker switch...push towards hard, compressor runs...push towards soft and it operates the dump valve...YOU WILL NEED A DASH AIR GAUGE...Sorry I didn't take pictures or write notes when I did this 2 years ago...larryd

Spyder Garage

Thanks, larry, good to know. I don't have BUDS so it whatever I can do without it. Where did you remove the arm form, the one that connect to the swing arm, or the one on the back of the sensor? My brother was an electrician in the CG, and does electric and air tool R&D. He doesn't seem to think it'll be too hard to wire the switch.

Yes, we got the splitter for the air line to run the dash gauge, any specific model you'd recommend? I've got a pretty useless oil pressure gauge on the right side I can replace.

I checked the pressure this morning - different gauge and about 20 degrees cooler. Down a few pounds from what it was Sunday, so again if there is a leak, it's small. I still want to replace the rear shock so I'll probably gather parts ans do everything at once. if the pressure is dropping that slowly, I might go with a dose of Slime in the bag just to be sure.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, larry, good to know. I don't have BUDS so it whatever I can do without it. Where did you remove the arm form, the one that connect to the swing arm, or the one on the back of the sensor? My brother was an electrician in the CG, and does electric and air tool R&D. He doesn't seem to think it'll be too hard to wire the switch.

Yes, we got the splitter for the air line to run the dash gauge, any specific model you'd recommend? I've got a pretty useless oil pressure gauge on the right side I can replace.

I checked the pressure this morning - different gauge and about 20 degrees cooler. Down a few pounds from what it was Sunday, so again if there is a leak, it's small. I still want to replace the rear shock so I'll probably gather parts ans do everything at once. if the pressure is dropping that slowly, I might go with a dose of Slime in the bag just to be sure.
    I completely removed the arm from the swing arm and sensor...I wire tied the movable arm on the sensor all the way down...I got a 2" air gauge from Viair for the dash...The air bag is the air reservoir, which is a very small supply of air...Everytime you check the air with a gauge you loose a little...Temperature also has some affect on the pressure in the system...I would strongly suggest replacing all the push lock fittings with a compression type, my all were leaking a little...You'll need to remove the air bag to replace the one in the top of there...larryd

PS. my hard/soft dash rocker switch has the factory harness plug unplugged also...I think getting the switch cluster out is the most frustrating part of the job if I remember correctly...

Spyder Garage

+1 for air line direct from bag to Schrader valve simplicity. Though replacing the rear shock when it needs it with a proper one is better.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    +1 for air line direct from bag to Schrader valve simplicity. Though replacing the rear shock when it needs it with a proper one is better.
    Are you talking about a air rear shock??? And if so, who has them??? larryd

Spyder Garage

You can buy a new bag from BRP! But I think he was saying that just replacing the shock with a aftermarket and deleting the air bag altogether makes more sense!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You can buy a new bag from BRP! But I think he was saying that just replacing the shock with a aftermarket and deleting the air bag altogether makes more sense!
    BUT, Depending on the weight of the rider and passenger vs just the rider alone vs the weights of different riders and passengers on the same machine...I have a hard time believing you can have one rear shock, with one NON adjustable spring that will fit all...I can believe if its the same rider and the same passenger all the time, YES that's doable with the correct spring on the shock...I know for a fact that with my "air on demand" set up that I run many different air bag pressures depending on the load and riding conditions...I think that was why BRP went with the air bag system because of the adjust ability for different conditions...If it was as simple as one shock, one spring fits all, they could have save a lot of $$$$$ going that way...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    BUT, Depending on the weight of the rider and passenger vs just the rider alone vs the weights of different riders and passengers on the same machine...I have a hard time believing you can have one rear shock, with one NON adjustable spring that will fit all...I can believe if its the same rider and the same passenger all the time, YES that's doable with the correct spring on the shock...I know for a fact that with my "air on demand" set up that I run many different air bag pressures depending on the load and riding conditions...I think that was why BRP went with the air bag system because of the adjust ability for different conditions...If it was as simple as one shock, one spring fits all, they could have save a lot of $$$$$ going that way...larryd
    This whole thing is getting as bad as one of our oil and tire threads!! FIRST, I, and I say I believe that this air bag, shock thing is being way over thought!!! They have bikes in the line up that don't use a air bags at ALL, and if you want to load the bike and run cross country, you turn the spring up a little and go for it!! When you get home if you don't want the extra spring load you back it off a bit and ride! This air over ride system is a great thing, when it works, but when it fails you are on the frame!! That to ME, is not dependable. Yes it's nice to sit there and push a button and adjust your ride, but really how much do you really mess with it, I found that I only adjusted it once in a blue moon! But when it blew up on me and I was on the frame, and found out how much of a PITA it was going to be and cost, I didn't need or want it! As far as this, if you take and replace this bag with just a shock and change your weight load it's not going to work, I, and I mean I, believe you are over thinking it!! There are plenty of people out there that have done it, it works fine!! What it all boils down to is, how dependable do you want things, and how much time and money do you want to put in it! Where Canam's falling short is this system the way they have it set up, it's to depredate on the bag, instead of having it for a air override spring, when your hauling a little more weight and need that little more, pump it up, your good to go, the coil over shock would take the bulk of the load! It's not that way now, and if you don't believe me, take and unplug your compressor and let the air out of the bag and take a SHORT ride around the block and see what you think!!! Sorry for being so long winded but I need to back off the coffee!! It's really not that big of a deal, don't over think it!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I replaced my stock rear shock with an M2 shock from Marcus McBain at https://www.m2shocks.com/. I like it and my wife likes it. My airbag is at 10 lbs but we've never bottomed out. Our stock check valve failed on a return trip from the Tail and we were stopping every half hour to air up the bag just to avoid bottoming out. That will never happen again.
    FYI, I'm not at all happy about the fact that I weigh 300lbs and struggle with weight, but my Spyder suspension doesn't.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Yes, on may two-wheelers you just adjust the shock up and down for varying load. BUT, have to looked at where the shock is on the Spyder? Unless they put in one with remote adjustments (My ST1300 had one), it's impossible to easily adjust the rear shock. Also, I feel that BRP was copying the top of the line tourers and the 'Wing has an air ride suspension. My brother laments the loss of the manual push button system he had on his '95 Wing versus the auto leveling system on the '05 he has now.

I couldn't run with just a shock with a spring preload only. I'd have to get it set up for two-up riding, and that would beat me senseless when riding alone. She doesn't ride with me very often so having the air bag to take up the slack is pretty much my option. But I agree with larryd, changing it to a manual adjust system allows me to have it but keeps it from killing itself if there's a leak.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Yes, on may two-wheelers you just adjust the shock up and down for varying load. BUT, have to looked at where the shock is on the Spyder? Unless they put in one with remote adjustments (My ST1300 had one), it's impossible to easily adjust the rear shock. Also, I feel that BRP was copying the top of the line tourers and the 'Wing has an air ride suspension. My brother laments the loss of the manual push button system he had on his '95 Wing versus the auto leveling system on the '05 he has now.

I couldn't run with just a shock with a spring preload only. I'd have to get it set up for two-up riding, and that would beat me senseless when riding alone. She doesn't ride with me very often so having the air bag to take up the slack is pretty much my option. But I agree with larryd, changing it to a manual adjust system allows me to have it but keeps it from killing itself if there's a leak.
    When my compressor left me I was scrambling for a solution to this problem, it was the middle of the season and I was dammed if I was going to put money into some thing that was going to happen again soon! I stepped back and asked myself how much did I really adjust the the air, witch was just about never. So the other option was using the air bag manually if the bag was good, and all of the research I came up with was that the bag was really tough for the most part as long as you keep the rocks out from getting under it, I don't ride on that may dirt roads because the darn bike don't have that much clearance! So I reach searched getting a replacement shock and going away from the air system all together, and I emailed Elka and asked them some questions and one of there options were that if the bag was still good was to hook it up to manual fill and put like 10 lb in the bag, with there shock and that has worked for a lot of people with great results! The shock that comes on the bike is coil over gas, oil piece of junk that basically stops the bike from pogoing down the road and dose a bit of dampening as long as the air bag works the way it suppose to, so to save the season I chose to hook the air bag direct to the shrader, and ride! This works great for my wife and I and I have not a penny in it, and I am on the road! But when it comes time to take the next step, it will be the shock, they can make a shock to just about do any thing you want, all you have to do is ask the questions!! Good luck with your problems, hope you find a solution!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BakerAirWing used to make a very nice bolt on aftermarket air ride kit for the Spyder RT without factory air ride...If your air bag is good this was a very easy to install option and you don't need to be a really gifted mechanic and there's no need to remove the rear section of the bike...I think they were $175.00...I have 1 new one left in stock...The last time I talked to Bakers I bought some parts and they told me they had parts left in stock to build kits if needed...

Here are the install video's

Just some additional info on the Baker compressor system. There are two installation videos on youtube.com

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H325EL9pNns
    Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHcj3TGqhY

Spyder Garage

You say you never adjusted the air, but the system did it for you. larryd found that the system was constantly adjusting over bumps and such so he went with a manual system. It's annoying to me that BRP didn't think far enough ahead to realize that a leak in the system would cause the compressor to kill itself - that's poor design.

I'm thinking for me, Id like to get the Elka set up for my ride and have the air bag with manual compressor as back up for the rare case when she rides with me. Going straight from the schrader is all well and good, but it's a PITA for me to have to drag out the compressor and extension cord, wait for it to fill, get the air bag where I want it, then put it all away. Much easier to have a gauge on the tryke and a button to add/release it.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

You say you never adjusted the air, but the system did it for you. larryd found that the system was constantly adjusting over bumps and such so he went with a manual system. It's annoying to me that BRP didn't think far enough ahead to realize that a leak in the system would cause the compressor to kill itself - that's poor design.

I'm thinking for me, Id like to get the Elka set up for my ride and have the air bag with manual compressor as back up for the rare case when she rides with me. Going straight from the schrader is all well and good, but it's a PITA for me to have to drag out the compressor and extension cord, wait for it to fill, get the air bag where I want it, then put it all away. Much easier to have a gauge on the tryke and a button to add/release it.
    You could fill it with one of those small bike pumps, cheap and you could stow it away in one of the trunks, but I really think you will not need that bag if you tell the people from Elka what your trying to do, they are going to build the shock with a duel spring set up, one spring will be the main ride spring the other will be like a overload basically, I know I am not explaining it well! Your not going to need that air bag as much as you think!! Think you may be over thinking it, call them and talk to them, your not the only one that been here! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I did get the fernco cap. I had a hard time lining it up. I took it out and put just the cap in with the bolt going down thru from the top to line it up. I took a small paint brush and painted four lines at the base to line it up and put things back inplace. worked great. thanks for the air hose idea. I probably won't do the rocker switch. I have the toggle switch in place so I'm good. to much work to redo that.

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The biggest thing is most people over think this system and there is a lot of different things you can do, and money you can spend! When my bag or shock blows up on my ride it will get a nice Elka2 or M2 shock on her! They are adjustable, and rebuildable, easy, pezzey!! My compressor burned up last year I bypassed it for now, works great didn't cost me a thing! Have a good day!!
    OK, this is the second mention of replacing with Elka Stage 2. C A U T I ON !!! I currently have Stage 2 all around on my ST. The rear has been flawless and wouldn't trade it for anything, but Elka stage 2s have a very large failure rate. I have had to have my fronts repaired 3 times in 3 years, on a road only machine.

Spyder Garage

Is it just the front Elka's that have been having issues? I have Fox shocks on the front now and was thinking to replace all three at once, but it's not necessary. I do need to replace the weak rear shock. Some have suggested M2, but I understand they're pricey.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.m2shocks.com/canam-spyder-products

Call Marcus and talk with him he will answer your questions.

Spyder Garage

I ordered all 3 stage 2 shocks but with Clovis they are 3 to 4 weeks behind.
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

This will replace the air system completely
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

Is it just the front Elka's that have been having issues? I have Fox shocks on the front now and was thinking to replace all three at once, but it's not necessary. I do need to replace the weak rear shock. Some have suggested M2, but I understand they're pricey.
    I would keep the fox shocks if I was you, they make a good dependable shock that you can adjust and rebuild!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

I can only speak for my self. As mentioned before, the rear has been flawless. But the fronts have been a nightmare.