Spyder Garage

Default Warning - 12V Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports from Slingmods

I recently purchased the 12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports for the Can-Am Ryker from Slingmods at https://www.slingmods.com/canam-ryke...rger?vehicle=4. I posted a negative review on their site, but it looks like they don't allow negative reviews. At least, that's the only reason why I can think that my review isn't showing. I'm going to post here in case they never post my review or in case others are looking at getting this item.

My main criticism and one that people should be aware of is that this product is not water proof and could cause damage to the bike or even injure the rider under certain circumstances. Instead of using proper grommets and making sure the product is completely sealed from water, they rely on a very flexible rubber covering. They use very inexpensive off the shelf USB and 12 volt charger outlets for vehicles that are meant to have the terminals located inside a protected environment free of water. Since these are out in the open, that is not the case with this product and thus why they're using the rubber covering. Had they used some type of grommet system to secure the wires and place a small hole in the bottom of the rubber that was sealed to the wires, it wouldn't be a problem. Instead they went the cheap route and have the wires come up out of the top of the rubber covering only secured by cheap zip ties creating about a 1/4" gap around the wires where water can get inside. Also, there is no outlet for the water so over time the rubber will eventually fill up with water and make the contacts for the outlet/USB ports completely submerged in water and no way to drain it. This could cause a short or could potentially electrocute the rider. Also, they soldered the connections from the wires to the terminals on the bottom instead of using terminals and at least attempting to seal the connections.

My other minor gripe, which is true for the other options they have for mounting accessories in the same location is that the bolts they give you are chrome. They should be black to match the factory bolts. It's only a few pennies extra.

Between the shoddy wiring job and the mismatched bolt colors, I can't recommend this item. I'm going to have to take all their soldering apart and re-wire it so that it's water proof, plus either paint or obtain longer black screws so they match. That should not be necessary for how much you pay for this item.

To be fair, I want to include their response. This was their response via their email system:

__________________________________________________ _______
    This product is a "low voltage" 12v connection and is run through a fused circuit. If the zip tie were to fail and the boot were to indeed fill with water and the water was "ionized" due to contaminants in the water such as sodium, calcium or magnesium the fuse would simply pop because of the conductive properties of the water causing the circuit to short. If the water had no contaminants that it wouldn't contain ions and would be an insulator and could not conduct electricity. There's no risk to the rider or the device being charged other than possible frustration of replacing a fuse.

I suppose it is possible to have that boot fill with water under extreme weather conditions and that a better design or grommet could be used by the manufacturer to address possible issues in wet conditions.
    __________________________________________________ ________

I understand what they are saying and agree on most points. However, there are much better ways to handle this so that it's not an issue, it just cost slightly more money to implement. For the price that they are charging for this accessory, I would expect it to be near perfect considering I can buy the outlets off of amazon for around $15 for the USB and $10 for the 12-volt. That leaves over $75 for the small brackets, 4 screws, and wiring/fuse. That's a whole lot of money for what you get. Should they spend even a few dollars more to change that water-proofing as well as include black bolts instead of the chromed ones, it would easily be highly recommended. I just expected better. The rest of it looks very quality, but the wire connections and waterproofing is horrible.

After a back and forth exchange, they promised to post my review and they changed some of the wording on their description. It's a step in the right direction, but really this product should be fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mirus View Post
    ...no way to drain it.

I suppose it is possible to have that boot fill with water under extreme weather conditions and that a better design or grommet could be used by the manufacturer to address possible issues in wet conditions.
    Cut a small (1/2") slice in the bottom of the rubber boot. Every so often, squeeze that. It will open up and let any water drain out. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy. Glad I could help.

Oh and in the future, buy from LaMonster.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Cut a small (1/2") slice in the bottom of the rubber boot. Every so often, squeeze that. It will open up and let any water drain out. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy. Glad I could help.

Oh and in the future, buy from LaMonster.
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, that was going to be the quick solution. However, it still doesn't look good with the wires coming out the top held on by a zip tie. I'm going to get a tight fitting grommet and run the wires through that and out the bottom. It would look cleaner. LaMonster didn't have anything like this product unfortunately. Also, slingmods is only about an hour away from me so shipping is quick.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1. It is expensive

2. It was not purchased from a vendor that supports this forum.

3. Despite the length of your post, your first post on this forum, it does not clearly explain where it is not water resistant. If you are referring to the backside, it could be sealed with silicone rubber.

4. The vendor advertises that it is water resistant, if the caps are closed.

5. If your review was near the length of post #1, that may have prohibited a review... you may want to consider resubmitting a Reader's Digest version.

6. Your complaints may be completely justified, however, credibility may be in question with the claims that a rider could be injured or electrocuted. To what possible injury are you referring? Electrocution (as defined by OSHA) is lethal, not a low-voltage shock.

7. Since you are not satisfied, why not return it? A USB extension cord (<$10) could access one of the two USB ports in the glove box.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/phone...cle-lamonster/

Looks like that might have worked. LaMonster might be 1/2 way across the country but he ships fast. Not only that but he's 1) a prominent member here and 2) he's the site owner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    1. It is expensive

2. It was not purchased from a vendor that supports this forum.

3. Despite the length of your post, your first post on this forum, it does not clearly explain where it is not water resistant. If you are referring to the backside, it could be sealed with silicone rubber.

4. The vendor advertises that it is water resistant, if the caps are closed.

5. If your review was near the length of post #1, that may have prohibited a review... you may want to consider resubmitting a Reader's Digest version.

6. Your complaints may be completely justified, however, credibility may be in question with the claims that a rider could be injured or electrocuted. To what possible injury are you referring? Electrocution (as defined by OSHA) is lethal, not a low-voltage shock.

7. Since you are not satisfied, why not return it? A USB extension cord (<$10) could access one of the two USB ports in the glove box.
    Sorry, I just purchased my Ryker 2 weeks ago, which is why I'm new here. I don't know who does and does not support the forum as far as vendors are concerned, nor should I care frankly. I'm just giving my opinion of this product and letting others know my experience with slingmods. If anything, my experience hasn't been great so far, which is why I would consider other vendors like LaMonster. That being said, having somebody in charge of these forums with direct control over one of the large retailers of parts for spyders/rykers seems pretty shady.

I did explain that the problem is where the wires come out of the top and even included a picture pointing to exactly where the water can ingress. The vendor actually added that wording and even amended it after I contacted them and complained and gave my feedback, which is good on them. The length of the review wasn't that long and was summarized. You're correct that it's just a low voltage shock, but I still wouldn't want that nor does it speak to the longevity of having the wires exposed to water. The main reason I don't really want to return it, is that I like having the 2 USB chargers as well as a 12 volt lighter output all nice and tidy on the handlebars. If they or somebody else were to sell that bracket alone, I would do that and wire it myself.

Spyder Garage

I am on my smartphone and did not see your attached photo. Now that I see it, I very much understand your concerns about water retention.
    Although I'm relatively new to this forum I am not aware of any control or influence on our posts by any vendor, whether they were gracious enough to get the forum started or not.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

I have zero issues ordering from either Lamonster or Slingmods. I also have had fantastic CS from Spyderpops. All 3 have come thru for me quite well. That said, Slingmods is MUCH faster returning email/phone messages. In the last six weeks, it's a crap shoot whether you'll be able to get in touch with Lamonster.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've done quite a bit of business with LaMonster, Pierre and SlingMods. Never had issues w/any of them.

OP: Nothing shady about Lamont (LaMonster) owning the site and still running his business. He keeps them separate which is one of the reasons why he's a stand up guy. SlingMods may be easier to reach but that's because there are a bunch of people in the office. They are resellers. Nothing wrong w/that but other than selling and putting up their install videos (which I find extremely helpful), that's all they do. LaMonster on the other hand, INVENTS. Many of his products are his own creations so he spends most of his time figuring out what works and what doesn't, fabbing stuff up, changing it, etc. I think there are only like 4 or 5 in his shop. Pierre (aka CASA, aka Can Am Spyder Accessories) is a Montreal based seller. He makes most of his products, too and is another one with some awesome installation videos. There are some other smaller vendors like SpyderPops and F4 but they have more of a limited selection and don't do nearly the same business as the "big 3" (LaMonster, Pierre and SlingMods).

Spyder Garage

I have not yet ordered from forum vendors, to comment on service; but those who personally know* Lamont (Lamonster) Bryden speak well of him.

*Spyder rider Dawn Marie (uncommon spelling but I do not recall it), north rim of the Grand Canyon, June 9th.

Spyder Garage

I bought a dual horn set from slingmods for the ryker. bad wiring i had to rewire it posted a bad review. your right they don't allow bad reviews never showed up. Mirus thank's for your review here it's always welcome.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mirus View Post
    Sorry, I just purchased my Ryker 2 weeks ago, which is why I'm new here. I don't know who does and does not support the forum as far as vendors are concerned, nor should I care frankly. I'm just giving my opinion of this product and letting others know my experience with slingmods. If anything, my experience hasn't been great so far, which is why I would consider other vendors like LaMonster. That being said, having somebody in charge of these forums with direct control over one of the large retailers of parts for spyders/rykers seems pretty shady.

I did explain that the problem is where the wires come out of the top and even included a picture pointing to exactly where the water can ingress. The vendor actually added that wording and even amended it after I contacted them and complained and gave my feedback, which is good on them. The length of the review wasn't that long and was summarized. You're correct that it's just a low voltage shock, but I still wouldn't want that nor does it speak to the longevity of having the wires exposed to water. The main reason I don't really want to return it, is that I like having the 2 USB chargers as well as a 12 volt lighter output all nice and tidy on the handlebars. If they or somebody else were to sell that bracket alone, I would do that and wire it myself.
    You Don't have to explain yourself. Waterproof should be waterproof.