Thread: Buying a Spyder

Spyder Garage

Default Buying a Spyder

I was out looking to buy a used spyder and a dealer told me not to buy anything older than a 2015. He said they run hot and it blows the hot air on you while driving. Has anyone had this issue? I dont want to have a bad experience on my first purchase of a spyder.

Spyder Garage

Up until 2014, BRP only had the 998 2 cyl. engines. Some complained of heat issues. Not considered a major problem IMO.

2014 saw the introduction of the 1330 3 cyl. engines. Considered an improvement over the 998 by most on the site.

BRP still sold models (STS) version which contained the 998 engine for a couple years after. If you want the 1330 it will say that on the Spyder you purchase.

Lots of good buys now in both 998 and 1330. Test rides of both flavors are advised IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 ST-S which has the heat mitigation mods as standard.
    Test rode a 2012 RT when I was looking and they can pump out a decent amount of hot air which I only noticed at standstill and I was only wearing runners not boots.

When looking I always checked for Spyders that had the heat mods either factory or aftermarket as I read a lot of reports on here about heat issues for the rider. I already had in mind if I bought a non heat modded one I would look at installing the aftermarket mods so I was not too perturbed about it really. It was more important for me to find one I was comfortable on.
    Have ridden in very hot weather on the 2014 and yes it does get hot but so has any motorcycle I have owned/ridden.

Good advice from AR above as he has owned quite a few over many years.
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac
    2014 ST-S , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RT-L with 998cc VTwin engine and yes it runs hot specially on the left side; on the right side heat from radiator blows to your lower leg. But those problems only occur if you are in stop and go traffics on a 90 degrees day. At highway speed I did not feel the heat that bad. I remove the two wind deflectors below the mirrors and I think the airflow is better, while waiting for recalls fixes.
    From MY2014 on, BRP redesigned the RT with 1330 triple engine and they move the radiators to front of the front wheels so heat wont blow to your right leg.
    Next week the dealer will install the body panels on mine as part of recalls on the MY2013. Lots of members here say the new body panels remedy most of the heat issues. Will see.
    My other concern is strong fuel smell after a ride due to the fuel tank evaporator/filter design. That problem is also part of the recall and will also be fixed next week.
    When I bought mine in May I could have bought a new 2018 RT-L for $20K, but for $9K less I decided to get the 2013. It was practically brand new with 45 miles on it, I had to replace all 3 tires though due to flat spots for sitting too long. I don't plan to go cross country so the 998 VTwin is good enough for me.
    Hope this helps and Good luck on your search.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 STS with a 998 V-Twin. Very peppy and fast enough for me.
    BRP replaced my side panels (at no cost) with 2014 side panels and the heat issue is totally mitigated.
    Fuel smell can be corrected with a canisterectomy. Search this forum for details.
    I ride long distance for touring and camping with no performance or maintenance issues.
    Great used machines available at reasonable prices.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Since the 2014 RT models BRP resolved the heat issue by adding 2 fans that blow outward when the heat is too great. So your dealer is correct but missed by 1 year.

Spyder Garage

2014 was the big change, not 2015. And buying used - unless you get it from a dealer with some kind of warranty - is a crap shoot anyway. Got mine from iMotorsports so I had 30 days to find any issues. I've taken it apart more to remove farkles the PO put on than I have to fix anything.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to say the 2012 models with the 998 engines were great. I didn't have trouble with mine. It had 7000 miles when purchased. I sold it with 14,000 miles and regret it still. I just wanted to get a newer one with the 1330 engine. I am still looking right now but do plan to buy a 2017 or 2018. I can see a dealer saying that though cause some did have some serious issues especially with heat.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)