Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Kanine tires not certified by BRP

Hi All:
    I know the topic of tires can get ones hackles raised. Two dealers in the Pennsylvania area told me although Kanine tires are a Kenda product, BRP did not certify them yet. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

This is just my opinion. But who cares if if BRP certified them or not. Is this even a requirement for legal reasons anywhere?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree w/Billy. Car tires aren't approved by BRP, either, but there may be more Spyders out there w/car tires than w/the original Kendas. I doubt it's an issue.

Spyder Garage

It can become similar to the ‘darkside’ argument. If you have an issue that the warranty agent can conceivably blame on using a car tire on a motorcycle warranty coverage can get to be a problem. Similarly, if a problem can be blamed on using a ‘non-certified’ tire......

To satisfy my OCD I’d ask BRP IN WRITING whether use of the kanine can affect warranty coverage, and require the response IN WRITING.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    It can become similar to the ‘darkside’ argument. If you have an issue that the warranty agent can conceivably blame on using a car tire on a motorcycle warranty coverage can get to be a problem. Similarly, if a problem can be blamed on using a ‘non-certified’ tire......

To satisfy my OCD I’d ask BRP IN WRITING whether use of the kanine can affect warranty coverage, and require the response IN WRITING.
    Firstly, the Rims on all Spyders and Rykers are 'J' type CAR rims, and the Kenda tires from BRP are NOT Motorcycle tires, they have CAR type beads to match the bead profiles on the rims and they have CAR tire construction, even tho BRP has printed some namby pamby made up 'Special Motorcycle' label to cover their arse if someone is stupid enough to fit an OE Spyder Spec Kenda tire on a car, cos the Kendas simply aren't up to it!! Plus, I believe the Kanine's and the OE spec Kendas even have a notice to the effect - 'Fit to 'J' type Rims ONLY' printed somewhere on their sidewalls; and btw, running 'J' type rims on a motorcycle is pretty much verbotten everywhere in the World that motor vehicles &/or motorcycles are required to be registered!

And secondly, even if your OCD does call you to ask for something in writing, BRP is only ever going to say you MUST use their over-priced under-spec'd poorly constructed excuse for a CAR tire on all Spyders and Rykers anyway, cos that's where they'll get the most profit, so that's a pointless exercise from the get go!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-21-2020 at 08:57 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Firstly, the Rims on all Spyders and Rykers are 'J' type CAR rims, and the Kenda tires from BRP are NOT Motorcycle tires, they have CAR type beads to match the bead profiles on the rims and they have CAR tire construction, even tho BRP has printed some namby pamby made up 'Special Motorcycle' label to cover their arse if someone is stupid enough to fit an OE Spyder Spec Kenda tire on a car, cos the Kendas simply aren't up to it!! Plus, I believe the Kanine's and the OE spec Kendas even have a notice to the effect - 'Fit to 'J' type Rims ONLY' printed somewhere on their sidewalls; and btw, running 'J' type rims on a motorcycle is pretty much verbotten everywhere in the World that motor vehicles &/or motorcycles are required to be registered!

And secondly, even if your OCD does call you to ask for something in writing, BRP is only ever going to say you MUST use their over-priced under-spec'd poorly constructed excuse for a CAR tire on all Spyders and Rykers anyway, cos that's where they'll get the most profit, so that's a pointless exercise from the get go!
    X's 10 ..... and the " J " on the tire sidewall is FACT .... so your " belief " is correct..... I have not been able to find the " for special motorcycle use only " .... as a legal designation for a tire listed by U.S. federal D.O.T. regulations !!!! ..... and the wheels BRP puts on all Spyders are stamped " J " type ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Since BRP is putting the Kenda Kanine on the newer Spyders. I'd say that's defacto 'Certification' right there. But I also agree with Billy. A manufacturer doesn't have to 'Certify' something for me to use it if I think it appropriate. There are many reasons a manufacturer does not certify a particular product. Sometimes it's to push you into buying their version with inferences to warranty issues. That gets a lot of people, when it really shouldn't.

I've never heard of anyone having a non-certified tire warranty issue. In my opinion, it's a red herring. But an effective one. Just like with oil and other items. Fear (justified or not) can be an effective marking tool.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have Michelin tires on my Buick. As far as I know, Buick hasn't certified them..... ..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Since BRP is putting the Kenda Kanine on the newer Spyders. I'd say that's defacto 'Certification' right there. But I also agree with Billy. A manufacturer doesn't have to 'Certify' something for me to use it if I think it appropriate. There are many reasons a manufacturer does not certify a particular product. Sometimes it's to push you into buying their version with inferences to warranty issues. That gets a lot of people, when it really shouldn't.

I've never heard of anyone having a non-certified tire warranty issue. In my opinion, it's a red herring. But an effective one. Just like with oil and other items. Fear (justified or not) can be an effective marking tool.
    The reason why I brought this up - in Pa. the dealers will not inspect your bike without tires approved by the manufacturer. In Pa. we need or are supposed to have yearly inspections.

Thanks for the thoguhts.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

That is the first I have heard that BRP is putting the Kanine tire on. I asked the dealer if they sold or would get the Kanine tire. They said no. That was in May.

PS I just checked Kendas website and state specifically that it is aftermarket. But they also say it is the first and only aftermarket tire for the Can Am Spyder. Well that's not true. Arachnids were first and still available.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Since BRP is putting the Kenda Kanine on the newer Spyders.
    My brand new 2020 Spyder RTL equipped with Kenda Radial, not Kanine.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

I kind of figured this was your concern, being in NJ close to PA. Fortunately, NJ no longer (for about 10 years now) requires motorcycles to be inspected.
    I purchased my ST from a dealer in PA, and had asked about eventually mounting non-Kenda tires...they told me they would do it without any reservations, though I would probably have to bring the tires.
    I would try other dealers. Or see about possible inspection facilities that are not at a dealer.
    Good luck!
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

"BRP Approved" means you're going to pay more MONEY for less QUALITY.
    I just use comparable sizes and good quality tires for my money. I got 2 Federal Formosa tires for the front and a Kumho Esta for the rear from Amazon for less than $200. I called my dealer and they said it would cost $65 to mount each front tire -off the Spyder- since they're not OEM tires. Discount Tire charged me $21 to mount and balance each. Money well spent there.

Cheers.
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry but I lived in PA until 2014, ran car tires had my Spyder inspected. Never a problem. All they looked at was how much tread was on the tires. RED HERRING!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Never had that problem when I lived in Pa. I went to independent shops for motorcycle inspections. Sounds like your dealer is telling a story.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The big question for me is - WILL my dealer fit Kanines?

If they won’t then I won’t even consider Kanines and will keep mounting “car” tyres myself. (But I would rather NOT do it myself if I can avoid it).

However, if my dealer WILL fit Kanines, (they won’t currently fit “car” tyres), then I will start looking at the reviews on the Kanines.

I couldn’t care less if they have been certified by BRP per se, but if they haven’t, I believe there is a strong chance that those dealers who won’t fit “car” tyres won’t fit the Kanines either.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post

Sort of, Mikey .....but this is a bit different to the usual threads as the Kanines do have the “possibility” of being fitted by dealers.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    X's 10 ..... and the " J " on the tire sidewall is FACT .... so your " belief " is correct..... I have not been able to find the " for special motorcycle use only " .... as a legal designation for a tire listed by U.S. federal D.O.T. regulations !!!! ..... and the wheels BRP puts on all Spyders are stamped " J " type ..... Mike
    Would the D.O.T number not be enough that is stamped on the tire as a legal designation? Or are you referring to For Special Motorcycle use only term?

I think that was just put on the tire to not mount it on a car wheel or use it on a car as some most likely would do.

Spyder Garage

Legally there is nothing BRP can say or do. However you should be aware that if you are in an accident you could be held liable for not using the recommended tire or advertised replacement for that rim. And be found at fault for the accident even if it was obviously the other persons fault.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    The reason why I brought this up - in Pa. the dealers will not inspect your bike without tires approved by the manufacturer. In Pa. we need or are supposed to have yearly inspections.

Thanks for the thoguhts.
    Jim
    I think they have the same program in Russia!

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    Legally there is nothing BRP can say or do. However you should be aware that if you are in an accident you could be held liable for not using the recommended tire or advertised replacement for that rim. And be found at fault for the accident even if it was obviously the other persons fault.
    I would like for someone to site for me a case where this actually happened.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TXGreatRide View Post
    My brand new 2020 Spyder RTL equipped with Kenda Radial, not Kanine.
    My salesman (who I see often) asked me if I wanted to see the 2020 RT They were un-crating. Of course, I did! It had Kanines on it. I only saw the one. But I can't believe it was the only one. I lamented to my salesman that I wished my Ryker had come with them. He said that it might happen on later models.

All OEM tires on Spyders/Rykers are radial design. So, that is not noteworthy. Are you sure it does not say 'Kanine' on the tire somewhere?

Spyder Garage

Lets start with this article written in 2012

https://ridermagazine.com/2016/05/20...n-motorcycles/

And look at your insurance policy last time mine was renewed there was a clause which states "must be maintained in a roadworthy condition". whats roadworthy? do you have a lot of $ to fight a legal action? I sure dont. If you don't know ask your ins. agent. And while govt is trying to take more of our hard earned money how much longer will it be before we go the way of europe? england has yearly motorcycle certifications and if you are darksiding it you have what is considered an unsafe modification you can't legally ride nor will your ins cover you
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

And look at your insurance policy last time mine was renewed there was a clause which states "must be maintained in a roadworthy condition". whats roadworthy? do you have a lot of $ to fight a legal action? I sure dont. If you don't know ask your ins. agent. And while govt is trying to take more of our hard earned money how much longer will it be before we go the way of europe? england has yearly motorcycle certifications and if you are darksiding it you have what is considered an unsafe modification you can't legally ride nor will your ins cover you
    remus, you do realize that the Spyder uses a CAR RIM Spec's, not motorcycle rim spec's, right?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I see you just joined in April, and have only 24 posts. After you ride your Spyder for a while (if its a new one), you will see how little miles you get out of back tire, and WILL want car tires on it. Then if the fronts are out of balance or don't grip well, there are many car brands available. Its not dark side like a 2 wheel mc, its J type rims, with J type wheels. This forum doesn't have to train you to try this, you can still use tires that are overpriced and wear out quickly. A lot good info above!!!! or by looking at older posts
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400