Thread: One hot phone

Spyder Garage

Angry One hot phone

Went out for a ride the other day when it was still cool 90 degrees and when I got home and pulled my I-phone from the glove box of my 2020 Spyder RTL it was way to hot,it was not plugged in just storing it there, any body else notice this on the hot day rides? It almost makes me belive they forgot to install some type of insulation around the glovebox. Pretty sure it was engine heat.

Spyder Garage

Oh yeah... it's engine heat. I'll sometimes leave my glovebox unlatched so the heat can escape.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Phone holster or jacket pocket
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

On my RTL, if I'm on a long trip and it's gonna be 90 degrees plus outside - I use a small insulated pouch with a tiny one one of those blue-ice packets and put that with the phone in it into the frunk. The phone then stays cool. The frunk can get quite hot on summer days.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    On my RTL, if I'm on a long trip and it's gonna be 90 degrees plus outside - I use a small insulated pouch with a tiny one one of those blue-ice packets and put that with the phone in it into the frunk. The phone then stays cool. The frunk can get quite hot on summer days.
    I recently bought a 2013 RT-L and I have noticed that the frunk does not have any kind of insulation, just the fabric liner. Has anybody here tried to install some insulation on the lid or surrounding of the frunk?
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RT-S glove box was also very hot until I installed the 2013 model year Vent Scoops. Now I can leave a chocolate bar in there, unless we're stopped and it's in direct sunlight. I don't know if it would fit on a 2020 though. Maybe you should trade in in for a 2019.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papaloco View Post
    Went out for a ride the other day when it was still cool 90 degrees and when I got home and pulled my I-phone from the glove box of my 2020 Spyder RTL it was way to hot,it was not plugged in just storing it there, any body else notice this on the hot day rides? It almost makes me belive they forgot to install some type of insulation around the glovebox. Pretty sure it was engine heat.
    I rode 120 miles in Texas heat on my 2020 Spyder RTL with my phone connected in the glove box. No sign of getting hot. Could be your phone itself overheating because of GPS or other CPU consuming processes running.
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RTL
    2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300T (sold)
    2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 (sold)

"I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!"
    2020 RTL , Asphalt Grey Metallic

Spyder Garage

Glove box on my 20RTL also gets very warm.I do believe it's engine heat.

Spyder Garage

easy way to determine possibly would be to put a thermometer inside on a hot day outside, and then on a not so hot day. And ride the same amount and check it. That might show if it's caused by engine heat. It was an issue with my 2010 RT that BRP later installed a heat shield that fit in the center glove box. And it worked!

Spyder Garage

You're correct, engine heat dissipates from the glove box. After a ride, I pull out the compartment to help cool.

Spyder Garage

Good call, left mine open today and phone was as cool as a cucumber. Thanks I am still going to complain to the dealer at my first oil change and see if Brp responds.