Thread: Ryding PCH

Spyder Garage

Default Ryding PCH

How many of you guys have ridden the Pacific Coast Highway? Mrs. iridenow and I are thinking of taking a couple of days to do this. How long did it take? We will be starting the ride in Phoenix and probably going all the way to San Francisco. I've been looking at some good spots to stop and check out. Not sure yet when we will be able to do this...hopefully by the end of September. Coronavirus has some say so about when we do this.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

Are you thinking of riding Hwy.1 or 101, there's a huge difference. Hwy.1 hugs the coast, while 101 is inland, until you reach Eureka, when going north. Hwy.1 ends just south of Eureka, where you'll join 101 for its best part - going north, of course. That's Redwood country.
    But if you are thinking of riding Hwy.1 south, I urge you to hit the coast at Monterey and skip the traffic from San Jose north. Unless you love big cities and traffic. South of Monterey, Hwy.1 is IMO, a lot nicer ride. North of SF, it's tight twisties for all day.
    Again, if riding south from Monterey, Hwy.1 pretty much ends at Lompoc. From there, head east on 246 to Solvang/Buellton on 101. We would get in our car and drive there from Portland just to have the best steak dinner at the Hitching Post and the world's best dark chocolates at Ingeborg's. From there south, you are stuck with 101, but still a nice ride.
    Re food; ask locals who are over 40 where to eat, there are many great restaurants all along those roads.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Thank you sir! We definitely have been looking at HWY 1. All of the pics we have seen have had the ocean in view.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you go there, the Old Fisherman's Grotto on the wharf in Monterey is an absolute must: it has the absolute best clam chowder and the absolute best calamari I've ever eaten.

Between my wife's sister being stationed at the Presidio and my eldest son in law at Fort Ord, we enjoyed that restaurant many times. If you have room bring home a case of that clam chowder. What they can is as good as served in the restaurant.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

I know the area well as I had a mobile machine repair biz and traveled there and also in Oregon and Washington. Many years ago, I worked in Idaho, a fantastic state for riders in the parts above Boise.
    So pump me for info about your ride plans.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

In 2017 made a trip out west and rode up both Hwy 1 & Hwy 101. San Francisco traffic was a mess though so be prepared to bumper to bumper traffic. Portion of Hwy 1 back then was closed because of a land slide if you remember back in 2017. Spent the night in Garberville, nice little town on Hwy 101.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Anyone riding/driving 101 between Eureka and Garberville HAS TO take the Avenue of the Giants through the Redwoods. You will be glad you did. 101 is a multi lane road along there and well worth leaving to see those huge trees.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Anyone riding/driving 101 between Eureka and Garberville HAS TO take the Avenue of the Giants through the Redwoods. You will be glad you did. 101 is a multi lane road along there and well worth leaving to see those huge trees.

We did stop there to see the Redwoods. Biggest tree I've ever seen.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

we just rode Hwy 1 and 101 last week. we have done the entire PCH at least 5 times. In my opinion the best part is from San Fran north, you can have the rest going south but to much traffic and to many people for me and most of the views are blocked or private. the great thing about 101 in Oregon are there are NO private beaches they ALL belong to the public. September is a great time to ride it. Last week we rode from Astoria to San Fran. Make sure you stop at Ferndale out of Eureka. and if your camping out like we do there is a very cheap Fairgrounds in Ferndale.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Long Beach, Malibu is fast. North of that slows as its very twisty. San Simeon (Hearst Castle), Morrow Bay and into Monterey will be a ride to take your time on. Just try to keep your eyes on the road. Difficult to do as it's so beautiful.

Currently there are fires in the Santa Cruz mtns. Destroying much of Big Basin. Fires on Mt. Hamilton and the Lick Observatory. Livermore and north of San Francisco. Extremely smoky but should be clear by September. I hope!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

North of San Francisco from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg is VERY twisty and slow. The San Francisco area is impossible to navigate without going through a mess. All in all, a very fun and scenic ride. And, I agree, do not miss Avenue of the Giants..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi