Spyder Garage

Question 2020 RTL radiator fan question

New guy here, had the Spyder 2 weeks and 600 fun miles. Checking the oil the other day the way the manual says to. Had it idling in neutral in my driveway for about 6 minutes and then the engine temp quickly moved to hot (very hot days here right now). Got the high temp warning and red indicator light. Temp on the digital readout showed 115 degrees, a 20 degree rise during idling. Radiator fans would never kick on idling in neutral. Shut it down, tried it again, same thing. Started it back up to pull in my garage, put it in first gear and the fans kicked on. So, I experimented some more with it idling for a few minutes in first gear, would start to heat up per the temp gauge and then the fans would come on (but always pushing air towards the rear at low speeds). So, my question is whether the fans are somehow programmed not to come on with the bike parked in neutral? Is all of this normal? I called my dealer and service guy "didn't know", said bring it in, might be a few days before he could look at it. Wanted to start here on this forum first. You guys seem to know the bikes well.

Spyder Garage

I will do some guessing. You may be confusing a warning for too hot air temp for a hot engine temp warning. Hot air temp reading is fix by riding it. That moves cooler air over the temp sensor.

It will be a lot easier just to check the oil level after you have come back from a ride. Just a lot easier.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I don't know about the 2020, but on my 2019 F3-S, the fans will come on while it is parked in neutral. On hot days, there have been plenty of times I came back, put it in neutral, set the parking brake, and got off to open the gate. The fans will often come on while I am opening or closing the gate. Never seen a high temperature light come on and the temp gauge does not move off normal operating temperature while I open or close the gate.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I haven't tried mine in neutral yet, but, in gear above 6 mph, the fans will push the air rearward when they are needed. Below 6 mph, they will run in reverse and push the hot air forward. I would suggest you try setting the parking brake, leaving it in gear, and check the fan functions. From the drivers seat, the sound is drastically different when they are running in reverse. With the park brake set and in gear, you can stand in front and feel the blast furnace!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2020 RTL when it is in neutral the fans will come on when the temp. reaches the right degree. You may want to ride it
    for a little while and let it reach normal operating temp. before checking the oil.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take it back for warranty if the fans are not turning on..

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. You have verified that what’s happening with my Spyder isn’t right. I should be getting fan operation in neutral, plus my fans are pushing air the wrong direction (towards the rear) when they do come on at very low speeds. Maybe the two issues are related. This will help me when I talk to dealer Service for a second time.