Spyder Garage

Default What risk do I have to drive my 2010 RT to...

a repair shop 50-60 miles away when I got a DPS error? It happened on a trip - DPS error and Limp Mode. I stopped at a gas station, removed the key, called the rest of my rider friends to tell them, put the key back in, started it and - NO ERROR FLASHES, NO CODES, ran fine. Headed 40 miles back home with no issues running at speed limits. Now I want to get it checked out... am I in danger if I ride the RT to a repair shop? (Other than in danger of paying more than I should, that is...)!!!
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it were me I would just ride it, but that is me. DPS is the power steering. You will still be able to turn just be a little harder not much.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 07-20-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    If it were me I would just ride it, but that is me. DPS is the power steering. You will still be able to turn just be a little harder not much.
    But won't the bike go into LIMP MODE if it throws a DPS error?

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not always. but if you go into limp mode you can still run at a slower speed to the dealer. I think its about 30 35 mph in limp mode. And I have seen many times when people have their Spyder go into limp mode and they take it to the dealer only to be told that the Spyder will do that some time (go into limp mode) and to let it set for 5 min. and try again if no codes come back your ok. So I hope that is the case with your Spyder and there is no real problem. But like I said 50-60 mile I would ride it. And to be honest I would wait for it to do it again before I take it to a dealer or fix it myself; but for you taking it to a dealer now may be best if your unsure. Good luck with your Spyder and let us know how it turns out.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

The key removal usually re-sets the computer. Do some riding around home and I am guessing that the light will not come on again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have intermittent issues with my DPS. 2008 GS SM5. I'm currently running my 3rd DPS unit. The early units were problematic. It would probably help to know which generation unit you have.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    a repair shop 50-60 miles away when I got a DPS error? It happened on a trip - DPS error and Limp Mode. I stopped at a gas station, removed the key, called the rest of my rider friends to tell them, put the key back in, started it and - NO ERROR FLASHES, NO CODES, ran fine. Headed 40 miles back home with no issues running at speed limits. Now I want to get it checked out... am I in danger if I ride the RT to a repair shop? (Other than in danger of paying more than I should, that is...)!!!
    Jim
    I have noticed w/ my 2010 that when a sudden stop occurs, it will throw some random error and limp mode. It turns out to be nothing. I do what you did. Take the key out and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, start it back up and I'm on my way. Apparently the 2010 RT is a very sensitive piece of technology. The first few times, this happened, I took it to a dealer to figure it out only to find out everything is fine.
    Fred is a 2010 RT SM5 - Sold.

I am not a mechanic. When I have a tool in my hand, 911 needs to be on Standby.

Spyder Garage

2010 bike ?
    Have you replaced the battery or is it the original 10 year old battery.
    The DPS is a power hog. If your battery is beginning to fail, it can affect the DPS.
    It could also be the battery connections.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    2010 bike ?
    Have you replaced the battery or is it the original 10 year old battery.
    The DPS is a power hog. If your battery is beginning to fail, it can affect the DPS.
    It could also be the battery connections.
    Update on this issue - I rode the bike and the DPS didn't show again. Since it is going on 11 years old, we decided to look for a newer ride. Found new 2019 with BRP rebate. Trade value of my 2010 was 5200. Personal sale netted 8000. Picking up our new ride on Wednesday. New owners of my 2010 are like two kids at Christmas. Praying that the bike runs like the wind with no issues.

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Update on this issue - I rode the bike and the DPS didn't sow again. Since it is going on 11 years old, we decided to look for a newer ride. Found new 2019 with BRP rebate. Trade value of my 2010 was 5200. Personal sale netted 8000. Picking up our new ride on Wednesday. New owners of my 2010 are like two kids at Christmas. Praying that the bike runs like the wind with no issues.
    That was quick

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Update on this issue - I rode the bike and the DPS didn't show again. Since it is going on 11 years old, we decided to look for a newer ride. Found new 2019 with BRP rebate. Trade value of my 2010 was 5200. Personal sale netted 8000. Picking up our new ride on Wednesday. New owners of my 2010 are like two kids at Christmas. Praying that the bike runs like the wind with no issues.
    What did you get ?? 2019, I'm assuming it's an RT, but it could be an F3 or even a Riker. What color ? Brand spanking new, very good call.
    Remember, sometimes "I want it cause I want it" is a perfectly good reason.
    Now you'll have to deal with BRP connect, and the world of blue tooth.
    Please keep us posted so we know how you make out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    What did you get ?? 2019, I'm assuming it's an RT (snip) Now you'll have to deal with BRP connect (snip)
    Please keep us posted so we know how you make out.
    Pearl/Dark 2019 RT Limited. Been asking questions about operating and watching videos about the 2019 BRP Connect. Picking up the ryde on Wednesday the 29th. Been without my bike since Saturday and have missed some fine riding weather here in northern Indiana. More later.
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Pearl/Dark 2019 RT Limited. Been asking questions about operating and watching videos about the 2019 BRP Connect. Picking up the ryde on Wednesday the 29th. Been without my bike since Saturday and have missed some fine riding weather here in northern Indiana. More later.
    Jim
    Happy ryding on your 2019 RTL. I am from Columbus, Indiana, but my wife is from Warsaw, Indiana and has family that lives in Warsaw, New Paris & Goshen. I actually bought my Spyder (2012 RT-A&C) from a guy in Warsaw in 2014 and have absolutely loved it. Been thinking of trading it for at 2019 RTL to get the bigger engine, additional gear & the upgraded dash. I like the look of the new 2020 RTL's too. Just having a tough time giving up my current Spyder, since I have done so much to it with upgrades & accessories. My wife & I are headed to the Tail of the Dragon for a 4-day ryding trip around North Carolina. We may have to try to meet up with you sometime when we're in Warsaw.

Spyder Garage

Interesting connection that your wife is from Warsaw and has family in the area. I know what you mean about giving up a bike after it's been "farkled" with all the great accessories out there. I had mine with lots of add-ons but it was just time to trade. Who was the guy here in Warsaw you bought yours from? I may know him. We are going Labor Day weekend to the Dragon - head, claw, back, tail... going to ride for three days! I've never been to any of them. If you are in town, send a PM and we'll try to meet up and have a coke.

LaMonster Belt Dampener