Spyder Garage

Default limp mode & code P0340 - Problem SOLVED!

yesterday on a short ride from home maybe 3 miles away noticed check engine light,so quick turn around and back to the garage. after shutting down, checked oil which was fine, started engine and had limp mode, checked codes and was showing P0340, cam position sensor, my spyder is a 2017 RT, pulled the panels to see if anything was obvious everything, to my eye looks ok, also checked batt. connections for tightness. any suggestions, i'm 100 miles from dealer. Thanks in advance for suggestions or symphaties haha!!!!

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

P0340 Cause: Disconnected sensor, Blown fuse, Defective CAPS, damaged circuit wires, damaged connector or damaged ECM output pins. Trigger wheel missing or in incorrect position on intake camshaft. Action Make sure sensor connector is fully inserted. Measure voltage between harness connector CAPS-3 and ground (expected value: 11 to 13 volts). Measure resistance from connector: ECMA-E2 to CAPS-2 (expected value: < 2 ohms). Measure resistance from connector: ECMA-D4 to CAPS-1 (expected value: < 2 ohms).

Check fuses first.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey White. A search of the forum for P0340 shows an unusual number - at least to me anyway - of the P0340 code mostly associated with 2017 machines. Both the RT and F3. So, you're not alone. Bad batch of sensors? Who knows. The fix is typically a replacement of the sensor, but you can read up on that if you want. Under extended warranty? See the dealer. Otherwise, seems like it can be done as a DIY. I can't help you as to the exact location of the sensor on the 1330. But somebody can. Check parts diagrams on line if you want to go that route. Good Luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Saturday went for a ride and same thing happen limp mode. Turn around and made it to my dealer and diagnose cam sensor. The tech perform the usual and took a sensor from another machine and voila I am all fix. Fail sensor. I have 2016 special series RTS. Awesome dealer. Huff powersport in Detroit Maine.
    IBA # 61125
    Saddle Sore 1000
    Bun Burner 1500
    1st one to do 48/10 on a Spyder
    4 Corner Finisher
    SCMA Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep I believe the 2017's had a certain amount of sensor failures. Get it verified and most likely change the Cam Sensor.

Spyder Garage

Default cam positioner sensor

after doing the checks and pulling the sensor, cleaning the connections with contact cleaner reinstalled still says P0340, so i've ordered a new sensor, doing it myself since it's 100 miles to the dealer and no trailer. talked with service manager about doing this myself if they had heartburn with me doing it and still have a problem and having to come in, no problem. so now we wait for the part, will update on result. thanks for your replies

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog43 View Post
    after doing the checks and pulling the sensor, cleaning the connections with contact cleaner reinstalled still says P0340, so i've ordered a new sensor, doing it myself since it's 100 miles to the dealer and no trailer. talked with service manager about doing this myself if they had heartburn with me doing it and still have a problem and having to come in, no problem. so now we wait for the part, will update on result. thanks for your replies
    I changed one a long time ago ..... didn't need BUDS for it to work ...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ive got that problem right now om my 17 rtl.Im waiting on a new sensor(40.00)and already have old one out.Its very easy,behind oil filter.For 40$ I wasnt going to drive 50 miles to dealer and leave for a few weeks,even though its still under warranty.Bike still ran but noticed that it would stall if sitting in traffic for several minutes,still managed to make it 600 miles back,wouldnt rev over 6000rpm.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Default Update on code po340

Bike turned on ck eng lite in Ky.Also said it was in limp home mode.I couldnt tell anything was wrong except it wouldnt rev over 6k and sometimes when the cooling fans kicked on in traffic it would stall but then started back up.Called 2 dealers but they didnt have parts or the time so I drove it back 600 miles to DE.Bought a cam sensor from Partzilla for 40.00 put it in,very easy job,its right behind the oil filter on a 17rtl.Started it up and ck lite blinked for about 20 seconds and then went out but bike still wouldnt rev over 6k.Shut off and restarted it and then it rev up fine,so much for resetting computer at dealer.Took on a test drive and it ran strong and no more stalling.Hopefully no more problems for a while.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

From BRP, the sensor #420664045 and is the same for 2017,18,19,20 F3 T's May be the same for all 1330's
    price is $47.99

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Default problem solved

a week or so ago i posted about code P0340 and it being the cam position sensor, recieved a new sensor today installed codes cleared limp home mode gone, all back together, need a little wind therapy now, thanks for the responses. 2017 RT

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you got it fixed.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the update report.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Ive got that problem right now om my 17 rtl.Im waiting on a new sensor(40.00)and already have old one out.Its very easy,behind oil filter.For 40$ I wasnt going to drive 50 miles to dealer and leave for a few weeks,even though its still under warranty.Bike still ran but noticed that it would stall if sitting in traffic for several minutes,still managed to make it 600 miles back,wouldnt rev over 6000rpm.
    Shouldn't the warranty still pay for the defective part?
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Shouldn't the warranty still pay for the defective part?
    No. Only if installed by a qualified service technician, dealer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

in talking with service manager, it is covered under warranty butttttt service dept. probably 3 weeks out and they are between 90 and 100 miles from me, no trailor soooooo, deductable is 50. dollars part is 47. informed and ask if any problem of me doing it, no problem, so it's done and i've ridden a little over 100 miles, glad i did it instead of waiting 3 weeks or more

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog43 View Post
    in talking with service manager, it is covered under warranty butttttt service dept. probably 3 weeks out and they are between 90 and 100 miles from me, no trailor soooooo, deductable is 50. dollars part is 47. informed and ask if any problem of me doing it, no problem, so it's done and i've ridden a little over 100 miles, glad i did it instead of waiting 3 weeks or more
    I would of done that same thing! No reason to have to wait for a easy fix like that,anything quick I always had the mechanic take care of it like inspections, recall's or tires......I realize that BP has a procedure to follow so that's understandable up to a point.

Glad you handled it and thanks for the update!!!!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Two weeks ago, my 2015 ST Limited (23,000 mi) just threw up the 'check engine' light and went into a semi limp mode (6000 rpm max) and running very strange. I checked the fault code and it was P0340 (bad cam sensor). Just received the new sensor (from Partzilla.com) and installed it. The Spyder had been sitting for 2 weeks and did not want to fire up. The engine would crank but wouldn't catch and the check engine light was still on! I was starting to feel pretty sick but after about 5 attempts, the engine sputtered to life and started to run. After a short time, the engine light went off and now everything seems to be fine (PHEW!!).
    NOT a real easy job on the ST. You have to remove 3 panels on the LH side, and then the MAPS sensor from the throttle body and then very tight quarters around numerous harnesses and cables. Really glad we weren't on one of our week long trips!!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

Just an update for this thread, The new BRP part # is 420664046, for the cam position sensor.

T.P.