Spyder Garage

Smile Difference riding an STS vs F3S ??

What is the difference riding a STS vs an F3S?
    The finance committee agreed to a possible upgrade after I sell the STS.
    I'm looking for a 2016 - 2019 F3 or F3S. How does the
    ride and comfort compare to a 2013 STS?
    I currently commute to work, 54 highway miles each way.
    I love to tour and always ride solo.
    Thanks.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Might want to think about the F3T or L for touring
    More storage and better ride My opinion!!

Spyder Garage

Thank You.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    What is the difference riding a STS vs an F3S?
    ...... How does the ride and comfort compare to a 2013 STS?
    I currently commute to work, 54 highway miles each way.
    If you like & are comfortable with the more upright riding position experienced on an STS, especially on your daily commute, you might want to first test ride an F3 for a similar length ride, just to make sure that you'll be equally as (or more? ) comfortable on an F3 where you'll have a more 'semi-reclined with feet forward' stance, sorta similiar to the 'birthing position' seen by the occupant of an obstetrician's table with their feet in the stirrups!

While the F3 saddle on all models is appreciably lower and they can be easier to climb onto as a result, once you're aboard, the F3's seating and riding position basically forces all of your weight onto your tailbone & butt, with no way of alleviating that for very long by supporting yourself/taking your weight on your feet &/or legs; altho the 'foot forward' riding stance does allow you to push more on the outside foot during hard cornering and get your legs much more involved in the 'body english' required to really hustle these Spyders/Rykers thru the twisties! The U-fit system for foot peg/board positioning will allow you to tailor how much you get to stretch out your legs; while the various 'reach' bars let you choose how far forward you get to fold yourself in the middle while riding, or how far back you can recline; but there's no way to adjust anything to allow you to get your weight off your tailbone &/or lower spine!! So if you're not up to handling that for as long as you need to ride, then the F3 might not be the ideal Spyder model choice for you!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I ride a F3-S had a RT before that I would never go back to a RT The F3 makes you feel like your in the bike instead of sitting on Top like a RT.
    Since you ride solo I'd go for the F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Might want to think about the F3T or L for touring
    More storage and better ride My opinion!!
    especially the L loaded “Limited” & the U-Fit system should find a fit, but with all you have listed done already
    2013 ST-S with 2014 side panels
    Baja Ron Sway Bar and Links, Elka Shocks
    DIY fog lights, DIY GPS mount, OEM Heated Grips, Garage door opener
    Sport rack, MC Dave Gel seat pad, OEM Saddle bags with DIY LED lights. DIY tail bag. Trailer hitch.
    Bump Skid, USB port, Battery tender cable, Freeway Blaster horn, TricLED Wide view mirrors
    You may like the better mpg & 6 speed tranny, But will you like the new dash go do some test rides & good luck it’s a hard choice.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Great input and lots to think about.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the previous statements about giving the F3T a try. The standard F3 or F3S will be very disappointing with the storage unless you install saddle bags. The Frunk on those things (same as on the F3T and F3 Limited) is useless for carrying very much stuff. The F3T saddle bags are kinda small also, but better than nothing. They suit me 95% of the time.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I went from a ST to a F3 and I would never go back. Much better handling, better ride, more power, better gas mileage, and much more comfortable because of the U-fit system. I can stretch out my legs and I added a backrest and sit back and relax when I want to. Many people here will say the 998 in your STS is quicker, but that's simply not the case. They call the 1330 in the F3S lazy because they don't rev it out like you have on your 998. They shift it 3000 to 4000 rpm's and never really feel the power of the 1330. Shift it past 5000, 6000, or even 7000 and the 1330 comes alive! The 1330 makes way more torque so you can shift it at 3 - 4000 rpm's and it works just great, but shift it past 5000 and enjoy the fun!
    As far as F3 vs F3S vs F3T, there are other things to consider. The '18 and newer F3 has 10 less HP than the F3S & T & L. It also doesn't have cruise. The '18 and newer F3T has a smaller rear sprocket like the RT's, so less acceleration than the 16 & 17's. The T's & L's have the air bag rear suspension. Very important, in my opinion, if you ride 2-up. The F3S in all years has the larger rear sprocket (more acceleration), and it's still available with a manual trans. The newer F3S's also have sport mode.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    I went from a ST to a F3 and I would never go back. Much better handling, better ride, more power, better gas mileage, and much more comfortable because of the U-fit system. I can stretch out my legs and I added a backrest and sit back and relax when I want to. Many people here will say the 998 in your STS is quicker, but that's simply not the case. They call the 1330 in the F3S lazy because they don't rev it out like you have on your 998. They shift it 3000 to 4000 rpm's and never really feel the power of the 1330. Shift it past 5000, 6000, or even 7000 and the 1330 comes alive! The 1330 makes way more torque so you can shift it at 3 - 4000 rpm's and it works just great, but shift it past 5000 and enjoy the fun!
    As far as F3 vs F3S vs F3T, there are other things to consider. The '18 and newer F3 has 10 less HP than the F3S & T & L. It also doesn't have cruise. The '18 and newer F3T has a smaller rear sprocket like the RT's, so less acceleration than the 16 & 17's. The T's & L's have the air bag rear suspension. Very important, in my opinion, if you ride 2-up. The F3S in all years has the larger rear sprocket (more acceleration), and it's still available with a manual trans. The newer F3S's also have sport mode.
    Exactly the information I was hoping to hear.
    Thank you to all who have responded.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    The 2018 F3T does have the larger 89 tooth sprocket, which was the last year BRP included the larger sprocket on the F3T. Starting in 2019 the only Spyder that has the larger sprocket is the F3S. I would test ride, if possible the F3S and Base F3 to see which on you like. Everyone's riding style and comfort level is different, you can also add side and top bags for extra storage if you like.

In 2018 BRP redesigned the dash to use their BRP connect system which isn't well liked. It was introduced on the F3T and F3L models so something to think about making your decision. I traded my 2014 RT for a new 2018 F3T (at a great price) and I use the BRP connect for the Bluetooth feature only (which works great for me) and I'm fine with that until BRP improves on the App.

You are also going from the 998 to the 1330 which is less maintenance and better gas mileage. I think whichever F3 you choose you will be happy.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014