Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by telespec View Post
    Where did you order those green light?
    I've purchased a few on E-bay .... many sizes and colors ..... quite cheap in price .... they are mostly LED type ..... a word of caution, they usually list the size in mm's ..... so 1/2inch = 12.5 mm .... 1 inch = 25 mm .....etc. ...... when I put my LED strips on the mirror, after opening the connection plug , I just put the wire + & - into the proper holes and re-connected the plug ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by telespec View Post
    Where did you order those green light?
    They came from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Beware, the ebay LED's DO NOT STICK !

Quote Originally Posted by INfox View Post
    One option I thought of was to get two 11-1/2 inch 5050 SMD LED strips from eBay @ $22.50.
    I ordered the above mentioned LED lights. They work / light up well; however, they do not stick at all.
    I cleaned the mirrors with 90% alcohol and primed them with 3M 94 promoter. Waited 5 minutes, held down over 5 minutes and the LED's came off. So I used super glue, held the LED's for couple of minutes and the LED's came off again. The doublesided supposedly 3M tape is coming off - its easily peeled off the LED's (super glue not used on one), please see pic.

Screenshot_20200801-151340_Gallery.jpg

I have it already connected and wonder should I clean the leftover of the so called 3M tape from the LED's and use a superglue to glue it on the mirrors or what would you do?
    Last edited by INfox; 08-01-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added picture
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

I have it already connected and wonder should I clean the leftover of the so called 3M tape from the LED's and use a superglue to glue it on the mirrors or what would you do?
    The 3M tape is generally quite good. If it was me (and it HAS been me several times), I'd remove the bad crap that came with the pieces you bought, and then replace it with some new fresh 3M tape. If you used superglue, when, in the fullness of time you need to replace the LED strip, you'd have a devil of a time.

https://www.target.com/p/3m-extreme-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ordered the above mentioned LED lights. They work / light up well; however, they do not stick at all.
    I cleaned the mirrors with 90% alcohol and primed them with 3M 94 promoter. Waited 5 minutes, held down over 5 minutes and the LED's came off. So I used super glue, held the LED's for couple of minutes and the LED's came off again. The doublesided supposedly 3M tape is coming off - its easily peeled off the LED's (super glue not used on one), please see pic.

The strips are probably encased in silicone. When I put a side emitting LED strip for my trunk light I used an adhesive made for silicone, which is tough to glue. Sorry, I can't recall what the glue is. I got the strips from Superbright LEDs so may have gotten the glue from them. I'm away from home for a few more days so can't search my computer or the garage to see if I can find what glue I used. I'll try to remember to search for the info when I get home and let you know.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thank you ThreeWheelThreeWheels and IdahoMtnSpyder, everybody's help counts.

I went to the Target, but unfortunately even they suppose to have one (LOL), they didn't have it. The tape seems a lot thicker, than the paper looking one that was on my LED's. No wonder it didn't stay on.

Yes, these LED's are enclosed in silicone. I would like to know what the silicone glue was.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, these LED's are enclosed in silicone. I would like to know what the silicone glue was.
    It might have been this one.

https://www.aspectled.com/products/s...d-strip-lights

https://www.permatex.com/products/ad.../?locale=en_us

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage
    2012 RTS SE5
    SpyderPops BumpSkid Guard
    PowerSportsWraps Phoenix Bird
    GloRyder Lights for Front Wheels with Remote
    Lamonster IPS
    PowerSportsWraps RT Dash Kit Woodgrain
    Custom Dynamics Chrome License Plate Frame
    Shortee Antenna
    Knight Riderz Light Bar Blue
    Front and Back Spyder Decal
    Volt Meter
    Digital Clock
    Wolo Bad Boy Horn
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog Lights
    LED Tip Lights
    LED Light Strips for Front Fenders
    LED Light Strips for Left and Right Turn Signal
    Third Brake Light for Rear
    2012 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

They came from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for that info.
    2012 RTS SE5
    SpyderPops BumpSkid Guard
    PowerSportsWraps Phoenix Bird
    GloRyder Lights for Front Wheels with Remote
    Lamonster IPS
    PowerSportsWraps RT Dash Kit Woodgrain
    Custom Dynamics Chrome License Plate Frame
    Shortee Antenna
    Knight Riderz Light Bar Blue
    Front and Back Spyder Decal
    Volt Meter
    Digital Clock
    Wolo Bad Boy Horn
    Lamonster LED Headlights and Fog Lights
    LED Tip Lights
    LED Light Strips for Front Fenders
    LED Light Strips for Left and Right Turn Signal
    Third Brake Light for Rear
    2012 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The 3M tape is generally quite good. If it was me (and it HAS been me several times), I'd remove the bad crap that came with the pieces you bought, and then replace it with some new fresh 3M tape. If you used superglue, when, in the fullness of time you need to replace the LED strip, you'd have a devil of a time.

https://www.target.com/p/3m-extreme-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I found a similar automotive “3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 03615, 7/8 in” priced little more online, still not available locally. I wonder if this is the same tape as the 3M Extreme Mounting Tape 1"x60" in a different width. The Target might get restocked Monday with a Scotch 48'' Extremely Strong Tape – Black, (which is reviewed little better all over the net) than the 60", but seems exactly the same as the 60". If not, I have to order one of the tapes - our few stores we have in vicinity don’t seem to be stocked that well lately.

The Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant looks very promssing, very good reviews, but lists "Not recommended for engine gasket, windshield installation, or electrical connection applications". The cutline copper oval connections are conductive on the back of the LED strip and I wonder if it would be safe to use the Permatex for gluing due to the mentioned recommendation.
    The back of the LED strip is slick shiny plastic, not a silicone.LED back cleaned.jpg

Spyder Garage

I found a similar automotive “3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 03615, 7/8 in” priced little more online, still not available locally. I wonder if this is the same tape as the 3M Extreme Mounting Tape 1"x60" in a different width. The Target might get restocked Monday with a Scotch 48'' Extremely Strong Tape – Black, (which is reviewed little better all over the net) than the 60", but seems exactly the same as the 60". If not, I have to order one of the tapes - our few stores we have in vicinity don’t seem to be stocked that well lately.

The Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant looks very promssing, very good reviews, but lists "Not recommended for engine gasket, windshield installation, or electrical connection applications". The cutline copper oval connections are conductive on the back of the LED strip and I wonder if it would be safe to use the Permatex for gluing due to the mentioned recommendation.
    The back of the LED strip is slick shiny plastic, not a silicone.LED back cleaned.jpg
    I just did a cursory search and found that posting at target. The tape is also readily available at home depot and lowes.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey