Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default LED Turn Signal Mirrors

I’m looking into a purchase of LED strips/Turn Signals for my RT mirrors.

I like the 12 inch long strip of the Stay On (SPY225), but don’t care for the all time on feature. The other shorter strip Full view turn signals (SPY202) [not on all the time] look like a better option; although they are shorter.

I am 5-1/2 foot tall (with the stock seat for now) and wonder at the same time if the outside LED strip is a better option, than the inside next to the mirrors application (drilling holes etc). I want to see when the blinker is on, I do not want to be blinded from the mirror reflection of the LEDs installed in the mirrors; and I do want to see the LEDs even if its sunny outside.
    I did read many comments on this wonderful forum, just can’t make up my decision due to the inability to go to crowds because of COVID-19.

The kits do not list the LED chip’s nor the IP rating specs. Could anybody, please, tell me, what are they? I gues they are IP65 (Waterproof) rated. Is the SPY202 set possibly a 3014 LED chip?
    Last edited by INfox; 07-20-2020 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Correction of my height
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

check out Spyderpops-a sponsor here-and take a look at the mirror LED's. A hint: I installed mine on the bottom of the mirrors as the installation instructions indicate, but found that I could not really see them. They sent me a new set at no charge and I installed them on the TOP of the mirrors, which makes them much more visible. Really easy install, plug and play, with instructions on how to stop hyperflash, a common problem when installing extra lighting. I think you will be very happy with them. They only light up when you are signalling a turn, or when you activate the emergency flashers. A great bang for the buck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default turn signal LED's

Quote Originally Posted by INfox View Post
    I’m looking into a purchase of LED strips/Turn Signals for my RT mirrors.

I like the 12 inch long strip of the Stay On (SPY225), but don’t care for the all time on feature. The other shorter strip Full view turn signals (SPY202) [not on all the time] look like a better option; although they are shorter.

I am 6-1/2 foot tall (with the stock seat for now) and wonder at the same time if the outside LED strip is a better option, than the inside next to the mirrors application (drilling holes etc). I want to see when the blinker is on, I do not want to be blinded from the mirror reflection of the LEDs installed in the mirrors; and I do want to see the LEDs even if its sunny outside.
    I did read many comments on this wonderful forum, just can’t make up my decision due to the inability to go to crowds because of COVID-19.

The kits do not list the LED chip’s nor the IP rating specs. Could anybody, please, tell me, what are they? I gues they are IP65 (Waterproof) rated. Is the SPY202 set possibly a 3014 LED chip?
    waaaaaaaaaay back after I bought my 14 RT I added a small LED strip to the mirror housing edge ( mine on the edge closest to the body ) .... I just drilled a small hole in the plastic of the mirror housing and threaded the LED wire into the housing cavity .... stripped the ends and after unplugging the turn signal connection I just put the LED wire ends into the connection and re-connected it..... hasn't failed yet ..... Mike I bought my small strips ( 6 -led's )at BANGOOD.com about $4.00 .....

Spyder Garage

I suggest giving Spyderpops a call, he will help you with the length of the LED’s you want to function as turn signal.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies, each idea and experience counts.

I am not worried about the installation, I did my research on the components already. I prefer not to drill into the mirror enclosures.
    There is an excellent DIY video by It's Yours. OWN IT or a good one by Slingmods.com; and one for the SPY202 set.

My main focus is on the thoughts of different people's experiences with different set-ups. The chip quality will have influence on the location and length of the strips, just as the height of the driver. This could help other people as well. COVID-19 will stick around for a while, not being able to sit on other's trikes makes it hard to imagine which set-up would I/we like the best.

II did also check the BANGOOD.com, they sell the short strips, but not the long ones:
    6inch Motorcycle Flexible 18 LED Turn Signal Indicator Light Strip Amber Bright US$4.14 ;
    12V Pair 6 LED 5050 Motorcycle Strip Turn Signal Indicator Blinker Light Amber US$4.82;
    2pcs Universal Amber 6 LED Motorcycle Strip Turn Signal Indicator Blinker Light US$4.22.

The Plug'N Play are easy install at a double of price without knowing the spec's.

One option I thoufht of was to get two 11-1/2 inch 5050 SMD LED strips from eBay @ $22.50 and to buy OEM Style Electrical 2 Pin Socket Connectors $5.95 . This would make it Plug'N Play at a half price and I would know the chip quality.
    2017 RT Limited Asphalt Grey with Lamonster RT Spyder Cuff; Lamonster FBB Highway Bracket; Kuryakyn 7597 ISO Trident Pegs; RoadSport Big Mudder Extreme, Magic mirrors, Airhawk R, plastidipped Frunk, Ram Mount Universal X-Grip IV Large, FZ-1 fuze block, Dual USB charger, BajaRon Sway Bar, Black Powder Coated RT Dash Mount Bracket

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the replies, each idea and experience counts.

I am not worried about the installation, I did my research on the components already. I prefer not to drill into the mirror enclosures.
    There is an excellent DIY video by It's Yours. OWN IT or a good one by Slingmods.com; and one for the SPY202 set.

My main focus is on the thoughts of different people's experiences with different set-ups. The chip quality will have influence on the location and length of the strips, just as the height of the driver. This could help other people as well. COVID-19 will stick around for a while, not being able to sit on other's trikes makes it hard to imagine which set-up would I/we like the best.

II did also check the BANGOOD.com, they sell the short strips, but not the long ones:
    6inch Motorcycle Flexible 18 LED Turn Signal Indicator Light Strip Amber Bright US$4.14 ;
    12V Pair 6 LED 5050 Motorcycle Strip Turn Signal Indicator Blinker Light Amber US$4.82;
    2pcs Universal Amber 6 LED Motorcycle Strip Turn Signal Indicator Blinker Light US$4.22.

The Plug'N Play are easy install at a double of price without knowing the spec's.

One option I thoufht of was to get two 11-1/2 inch 5050 SMD LED strips from eBay @ $22.50 and to buy OEM Style Electrical 2 Pin Socket Connectors $5.95 . This would make it Plug'N Play at a half price and I would know the chip quality.
    Here's something that you might want to consider about using " longer and or brighter strips ". At night, the strips are going to reflect off the mirror...... What you need to see in the mirror may NOT be as visible as it once was ..... good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I used a 3" long strip from Superbright LEDs mounted on the end of the mirror. It's visible from the front, side, and rear.

One thing to consider. Looking out to the mirror to check if the turn signal is on or not requires a deliberate turn of your head to see it. I think a brighter single LED on the dash somewhere will work better to catch your attention and alert you that the signal is on. That you can easily with peripheral vision. The mirror is outside of the main peripheral vision zone. Someone here put a bright LED behind the speaker grills. I think that may be one of the best solutions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Here's something that you might want to consider about using " longer and or brighter strips ". At night, the strips are going to reflect off the mirror...... What you need to see in the mirror may NOT be as visible as it once was ..... good luck ... Mike
    Thank you Mike, I want to make sure I understand; even if I would tape the LED's on the outside of the mirrors housing, they would reflect on the inside - on the mirrors? I thought the housing would block the light with the "overhang". If yes, in that case it does not matter where the LED's are installed and it sould be only a visual preference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I used a 3" long strip from Superbright LEDs mounted on the end of the mirror. It's visible from the front, side, and rear.

One thing to consider. Looking out to the mirror to check if the turn signal is on or not requires a deliberate turn of your head to see it. I think a brighter single LED on the dash somewhere will work better to catch your attention and alert you that the signal is on. That you can easily with peripheral vision. The mirror is outside of the main peripheral vision zone. Someone here put a bright LED behind the speaker grills. I think that may be one of the best solutions.
    What a great idea. Luckily I see the mirrors within my 90 degree peripheral vision.

I searched for the “bright LED behind the speaker grills” and I think I found the posts: Hey Dummy, your turn signal's on and Mirror Turn Indicators

Spyder Garage

Default Led mirror turn signals

Thank you Mike, I want to make sure I understand; even if I would tape the LED's on the outside of the mirrors housing, they would reflect on the inside - on the mirrors? I thought the housing would block the light with the "overhang". If yes, in that case it does not matter where the LED's are installed and it sould be only a visual preference.
    I have seen a lot of pics of where folks have put their LED trn. signal lights .... I can't remember any that were on the outside of the mirror housing....Mine are on the inside ...... I considered doing them in the speaker housing under the grill cover .... but splicing into the trn. signal wires didn't appeal to me...... I did add Red COB type LED rings inside my rear speaker housing to which I had re-placed the OEM grill with a wire mesh one from the JBL speakers I put in there ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well, I'll be the outlier here because I went with the Muth mirror system. Yes, it cost more. I've had NO problems with them in over 5 years ( one of the early mods). They are in-obtrusive when off, not too bright at night but bright enough in the day. Look OEM ( or better). Besides, the sequential Fenderz signal lights from TricLED really brighten things up from the side and are visible from the saddle too.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I got these plug and play from lamonster garage http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...kit-lamonster/ Lights are not in my eyes and and can eye shift to fender to tell if signals are on or night. I thought I had a picture, will take another one.

Spyder Garage

When I had my 2014, I used these arrows mounted to the mirrors. I connected them directly to the turn signals so the arrows blinked in unison with the signal lights.

Here's a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-A....c100760.m1850

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Well, I'll be the outlier here because I went with the Muth mirror system. Yes, it cost more. I've had NO problems with them in over 5 years ( one of the early mods). They are in-obtrusive when off, not too bright at night but bright enough in the day. Look OEM ( or better). Besides, the sequential Fenderz signal lights from TricLED really brighten things up from the side and are visible from the saddle too.

Lew L
    It seems that Muth no longer sells these mirrors. I went to their web site and there is nothing listed for a Can Am Spyder of any year or model.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

3Wheels do your arrows shine back in your eyes very much at night?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    3Wheels do your arrows shine back in your eyes very much at night?
    Not at all on my 2014. The arrow lights were wired to the turn signals, not the driving lights, so they are only on as blinkers.
    I lit up all the reflectors with LEDs. The rear red reflector on the front fenders was lit up as part of that package. I found that reflector to be very distracting at first, but eventually got used to it.
    My ultimate solution was to buy a 2020 RT Limited. The arrows on the dash are very visible, so I didn't need any auxiliary turn indicators to know when the turn signals are on.
    Having said that, I installed Spyderpops vision kit to light up the reflectors.
    There is no rear red reflector for the fenders, so that took care of that problem.
    I installed the mirror LED strip on the front of the mirror covers. This strip acts as an always on running light AND a blinking turn signal. By mounting this strip to the front of the mirror, I get several advantages.
    1) The strip doesn't shine back in my eyes, so there is no distraction.
    2) By mounting it on the front of the mirror, I feel it makes me more visible to oncoming traffic. The running light and turn signals mimics the design of previous model year Spyders.
    3) The LED strip acts as a tether in the event the mirror cover works loose. I've seen this problem reported, but haven't experienced it yet.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the same LaMonster Longhorn lights that BearX16 mentioned. They do NOT blind you. As a matter of fact, the only part I can see (out of my peripheral vision) is about 3-4 LEDs on the side of the mirror. They're always on (but flash w/the turn signals) but all you see at night is a gentle glow.

Spyder Garage

I'm surprised they haven't addressed the TURN SIGNAL Indicator Issue. I've been thinking of where and how to add an LED or LED's. I started building LED Sailboat Mast lights in the early 2000's. Climbing 55' to change a 7 watt bulb once a year is for the Birds. I did 120 miles yesterday in front of my Spyder. (GF wanted a "We Ride Separate Bikes"! trip.) The turn signals on the Front of my 2016 are fine. I think a Yellow LED on the front of the fenders would help and naturally the Turn Signal Indicator. I considered adding the backside Mirror option. This might be a Winter project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

If all you are trying to do is make the indicator more visible during daylight, you could also just add a bright LED to the dash somewhere. I added a couple of green ones and they are plenty visible during the day..

2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I've got the same LaMonster Longhorn lights that BearX16 mentioned. They do NOT blind you. As a matter of fact, the only part I can see (out of my peripheral vision) is about 3-4 LEDs on the side of the mirror. They're always on (but flash w/the turn signals) but all you see at night is a gentle glow.
    " always on " .... why ??? ... I wired mine directly into the wiring for the blinker light .... they are ON only when the blinker is working ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

BK 911, for me they act as side marker lights as I have not replaced the reflectors on the fenders yet. May not be much but at least it's a little to the sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " always on " .... why ??? ... I wired mine directly into the wiring for the blinker light .... they are ON only when the blinker is working ...... Mike
    That's the way LaMonster sells them.

Spyder Garage

The ones from TricLED are also always on.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Another option (little old ) https://youtu.be/P58UGDNGT3s

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    If all you are trying to do is make the indicator more visible during daylight, you could also just add a bright LED to the dash somewhere. I added a couple of green ones and they are plenty visible during the day..

Where did you order those green light?
    2012 RTS SE5
    SpyderPops BumpSkid Guard
    PowerSportsWraps Phoenix Bird
    GloRyder Lights for Front Wheels with Remote
    Lamonster IPS
    PowerSportsWraps RT Dash Kit Woodgrain
    Custom Dynamics Chrome License Plate Frame
    Shortee Antenna
    Knight Riderz Light Bar Blue
    Front and Back Spyder Decal
    Volt Meter