Spyder Garage

Default Noisy Hindle exhaust - any alternatives/suggestions?

This Newbie just graduated from 30 yrs of 2 wheels to a 2008 Spyder GS SE5. Love the machine but find the loud exhaust a bit annoying, especially since I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood.
    Other than stuffing cotton in my ears, is there a way to modify or replace the stock Hindle ? Appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2020 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Title clarification & SE5

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wenders View Post
    This Newbie just graduated from 30 yrs of 2 wheels to a 2008 Spyder GS E5. Love the machine but find the loud exhaust a bit annoying, especially since I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood.
    Other than stuffing cotton in my ears, is there a way to modify or replace the stock Hindle ? Appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Hi, and ..... the HINDLE is NOT stock .... it's BRP's OEM " performance " muffler.... annnnnnnnnnnnnd the ONLY thing it actually does is make the Spyder LOUD ..... see if the past owner still has the original Stock muffler ..... However don't get depressed .... lots of folks here LOVE Loud exhaust and probably still have the STOCK one .... When I bought my 08 it had the Hindle but the dealer still the Stock one and He gave it to me when I bought it ...... I would reach out to other Az. owners and see if you can get one without having to SHIP it.... It weighs a ton and would very expensive to ship ..... Good luck and ......... Mike .... I bought a low use spare muffler and never used it .... But I live in Vermont

Spyder Garage

I would be happy to trade my Hindle for any quieter muffler. Not only would my neighbors appreciate it, the noise is also quite tiring on longer drives.

Spyder Garage

As usual, they got you covered about the Hindle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would be happy to trade my Hindle for any quieter muffler. Not only would my neighbors appreciate it, the noise is also quite tiring on longer drives.
    Other than OEM -STOCK, I have NEVER heard of anyone making a quieter muffler ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

This thread is worthless without pics of the 2008 GS in question....

LOL!

Congrats on your new ride. May she serve you well. Am i mistaken or aren't the Hindle mufflers essentially the same as automotive "glass-packed" mufflers? I swear I've seen re-build kits on Ebay for the BRP Hindle mufflers before, with rivets and fiberglass packing material to replace the worn packing material... ?

Also keep an eye on Ebay, frequently there are used OEM Original Spyder mufflers listed for sale and I believe yours (like my 2012) takes the same muffler all the way up thru the 2012 RS(S) models. Just a thought.

Now, take and add pics!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

The Hindle muffler was one of the first aftermarket accessories for the then brand new, 08 GS Spyder.

They were noted for their loudness and that was about it. I never drank the kool-aid for mine. I had the first one sold in Alaska and put over $6K in "other" stuff on mine and on the spouses 09 RS. They looked pretty sharp, but they were not loud.

Here is a link to those spyders from 2008/2009

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hp?albumid=655
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-20-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This Newbie just graduated from 30 yrs of 2 wheels to a 2008 Spyder GS SE5. Love the machine but find the loud exhaust a bit annoying, especially since I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood.
    The Hindle, 2-Bros and Tail-Gunner are just a few of the Very Loud options out there. I have tried several mufflers on my 2008 GS. The stock muffler is pretty quiet. But it's big, bulky, ugly and heavy. I ended up with a Yoshimura slip-on. I think it is AWESOME! Rode with BRP engineers in Colorado once and they really liked it too!

What I like about it is, it looks great, it's bullet proof (the 998 is very hard on exhaust components), it's light weight and it sounds awesome! It is somewhat louder than stock. But it sounds mellow. Not raspy or harsh. It doesn't drone at highway speeds. And it sounds very mean when you get on the throttle. I've got about 30,000 miles on it, and it's good as new!

There are several versions which work pretty much the same. I run the optional restrictor on mine. But even without the restrictor, it's not that loud.

Mine is the RS-3 Oval - Carbon model. I've not had anyone get one of these muffler and not like it (so far).

Yoshimura RS-3.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I put a GPR muffler on my 2013 RS when I still had it. It made the bike slightly louder but sound much better. That V-twin 998 sounds good with the right pipe.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TerrySpyder View Post
    I put a GPR muffler on my 2013 RS when I still had it. It made the bike slightly louder but sound much better. That V-twin 998 sounds good with the right pipe.
    2013 is not the same exhaust system than 2008 - 2012.

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Hey BajaRon,
    Tell me about installing the slip on muffler. I was thinking about buying a HMF for my 2008 GS SM5. Reading the directions online it sounds pretty simple. Is it as simple as they make it sound?
    Thanks and thanks for the sway bars! It was the first mod I made when I bought my Spyder 4 years ago!
    Philbtv
    2008 Can Am Spyder GS
    Baja Ron's sway bar & links, Admore Lighting LEDV35-S-TS kit (for GIVI side cases), tall wind screen, Spyderpops foam grip covers, Air Management system mod, fender groove LED lighting, fender tip LED replacement, Seal floorboard conversion, SENA SMH-10, Spyder Sisters Spyder Pockets & sun shade, 12v plug + dual USB dash power, Custom Dynamics dual color LED daytime front runners/amber blinkers, Battery Tender JR. Pigtails, WrapMySpyder carbon fiber dash kit,
    2008 GS , Standard Seal Floorboard extension with Spyder logo cut out and teflon spacers to raise it. Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by philbtv View Post
    Hey BajaRon,
    Tell me about installing the slip on muffler. I was thinking about buying a HMF for my 2008 GS SM5. Reading the directions online it sounds pretty simple. Is it as simple as they make it sound?
    Thanks and thanks for the sway bars! It was the first mod I made when I bought my Spyder 4 years ago!
    Philbtv
    It is pretty straight forward. You'll need the 90 degree replacement pipe to mate up to the slip-on. Then it's just a matter of parts off, parts on. But then, I suppose this is always the case!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I know this has been a year but I'll gladly trade. I have the stock exhaust on my 08, want something louder lol