Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT Limited washing - is it OK to blow dry?

I love using our local car wash. It even has a blower to dry. Is it ok to use it?
    There is an opening under the windshield and i didn't want to get it big time wet in there. Any suggestions?

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The Ryker manual indicates no, Spyder likely the same, but if the wand is not too close, it may be OK.
    Thus far a warm wet soft shop towel has taken care of road grime for the past 2 months, 2100 miles.
    But not many bugs this year, little travel on dirt and not yet caught in rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Doc, I think that warning is for the High Pressure WATER Sprayer (in fact, I'm 99.98% sure that's what they are warning you NOT to use!! Those sprayer jets can do a LOT of damage quicker'n you can say 'Ooops'!! ) but there's no real hassle in using a 'not so high pressure' air blower to dry your Spyder/Ryker off!!

Sure, I certainly wouldn't be recomending anyone uses HP shop air, especially not thru a pistol grip/needle jet nozzle; but those 'soft blow' air dryers at the car wash, that're sorta like a big hair dryer, or even your own (not 'enhanced' or supercharged) home leaf blower is ideal for drying off your Spyder/Ryker & leaving you with a 'spot free' finish!

Been doing that on my motorbikes, 4WD's, Trucks, Semi's, aircraft, & auto's since before 'leaf blowers' became a 'thing', so when my Spyder came along back in 2013, with all its gleaming tupperware & chrome, it was a no-brainer & I've been using the leaf blower to dry it off ever since!! In fact, as some of the Aussie's Spyder Ryders will freely attest if yyou ask, I use the leaf blower to dry my Spyder off a helluva lot more than I actually wash my Spyder!! It gets wet often, either when it rains or when I hose off the latest collection of mud & bugs etc, so it needs drying then/fairly frequently, which I do with the leaf blower; but it really only gets 'washed' with suds & a cloth maybe once or twice a year! Doing it that way saves the paintwork from excess abrasion wear & those unsightly 'swirl marks' many get in the polish - I have absolutely none of them, and my Spyder cleans up really well, whenever it gets its annual wash!

So for my 2 bob's worth, go ahead Mikey! Altho you might wanta stuff any openings/places you don't want to blow water &/or anything else into with a piece of easily removable rag - and don't forget to remove those rags once you're finished! You'd be surprised how many times I 'fixed' other's 'poorly running' machines by pulling out the last rag they used to block that particular hole with when they were washing/drying their vehicle! But generally, blow drying your Spyder/Ryker with those 'soft blow' air dryers is fine!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Peter, I plan to use same on my Ryker when it needs it, but keep some distance with the wand.
    I think we are on the same page.

I had my 2012 Triumph for about 2 years before I washed it.
    Took it to AZ ranch (16 miles of rough, dusty road) and it was FILTHY.
    Street tires a challenge on the last 3/4 mile Jeep trail.
    Used the coin-op in Kingman, then oiled the x-ring chain for the first time, after I got home.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

After a wash i use a leaf blower to dry the bike ,helps to keep water spots off.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

I use a leaf blower on my RT and Valkyrie. Never had a problem. Eliminates water spots.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    After a wash i use a leaf blower to dry the bike ,helps to keep water spots off.
    .... been using mine ( 150 mph model ) for years and years ..... I don't use it on the F & R speakers tho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Learned something new today. Never thought to use a leaf blower for the drying part. I even have one of those. Thanks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I've been using a leaf blower on everything automotive plus for years. if I want it dried I put the leaf blower to it.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I even use it when we have a dusting of snow in the winter. Easy way of cleaning the car and sidewalk..
    2017 RTL , Grey