Spyder Garage

Default Solutions for Excessive Heat on Right Side of F3T?

Picked up a barely used '15 F3T last Saturday and with 1600 miles on it I changed the oil and filter yesterday as the original oil had been in the bike for nearly 5 years. None of this is new to me as I've had RT's in the past.

What was diff from the RT is the excessive heat coming off the right side and cooking my foot and leg. Bad enough that I want to find a solution. Wondering if wrapping the exhaust pipe with heat tape would help, or would that cause excessive heat in the cat/muffler? Possible some sort of panel to direct air inwards on that side?

Welcome any thoughts or ideas.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I installed a RLS Cat Delete Ceramic coated, https://rls-exhaust.myshopify.com/pr...delete-muffler
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

32,000 miles on a stock 2016 F3L no heat on the right side.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Haven't had that problem on either of ours.... I would say proper riding boots and pants... otherwise, cat delete.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    32,000 miles on a stock 2016 F3L no heat on the right side.
    You must have a high tolerance for heat, or you wear enough riding gear where you could walk through a burning building and not feel any heat! Due to a service connected foot issue (which i actually get VA compensation for) heavy boots are out of the question. Most footwear is a problem unless it is very light and flexible (or I don't wear footwear), so that's what I wear. Where I'm going with this is I find a combination of the Vegas heat, like it's been for the last week and a half., and the sun beating down, and the heat from the engine, my right foot gets uncomfortably hot. This is to the point where if it's over 100 degrees and sunny, I don't ryde during the day. Early morning and late evening or nighttime is fine. I will add the caveat that I don't think it's so much heat coming off the byke, I think it's a combination of all three. The sun, the ambient temperature, and the heat coming from the radiators.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Grand Design Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)

Spyder Garage

Mine is not service connected but there are some physical conditions that contribute to it. Seems to me if the right foot gets hot, the left doesn't, and both are forward on floorboards, it is not likely the CAT. I'll try jacking it up one day and wrapping the pipe with exhaust tape to see if that matters.

Or just hold my right foot up in air? LOL

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    What was diff from the RT is the excessive heat coming off the right side and cooking my foot and leg. Bad enough that I want to find a solution. Wondering if .......
    Talking about wondering...... I wonder if your RH Radiator fan isn't doing what it should??

Didn't these things get an upgrade so that the fans would blow air FORWARDS once they were travelling slow enough for the fans to do that, so that the rider's RH Foot & leg wouldn't cop all the hot air flow?? Or was that just on the RT's??

If it's not that, then maybe your F3-T is missing some of the (what little) panel work they are meant to have - I certainly haven't noticed any excessive heat radiating out on either side of those F3-T's I've ridden - but then I do almost always wear boots & riding jeans or better!?! Possibly, for your Spyder & your ryding conditions, wrapping the exhaust headers is going to be necessary??! Or maybe you could talk to someone like RLS Exhaust (a sponsor here) about ceramic coating?? A good ceramic coat like they offer can cut up to 400 degrees off the radiant heat?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, thanks, you've given me some ideas about the radiators: the F3T has two radiators facing out toward each wheel with a fan behind them. Haven't had mine long but perhaps I need to let it idle till fan/s comes on (and to see if both do come on) and put a big fan in front to see how much heat they put out and how it blows back.

I do have some exhaust wrap left over from a project many years ago and need to dig it out and see if it is enough.

While the heat thing is not a major issue, it is something I want to "project" with to see if I can make it suit me better.

I don't really ride a lot anymore as my Slingshot is more comfortable for my old bones, but got the urge lately and couldn't pass up this red one with hardly any miles on it. lol

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Picked up a barely used '15 F3T last Saturday and with 1600 miles on it I changed the oil and filter yesterday as the original oil had been in the bike for nearly 5 years. None of this is new to me as I've had RT's in the past.

What was diff from the RT is the excessive heat coming off the right side and cooking my foot and leg. Bad enough that I want to find a solution. Wondering if wrapping the exhaust pipe with heat tape would help, or would that cause excessive heat in the cat/muffler? Possible some sort of panel to direct air inwards on that side?

you may want to check the date codes on the tires....chances are they are old even though they barely have been used.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just turned 46000 on a 16 F3L and no heat anywhere, even in 106 degree heat this past weekend. I am thinking something is not right with that machine.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3Limited the first year for the F3T and F3Limited. In 2015 it was the F3 or F3S. I also have not had any heat problem with my F3L
    Bob