Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration Question - is the 72mph vibration the belt?

I have a 2019 F3L with about 2400 miles on it. Over the weekend I took about a 400 mile ride and about half was on the interstate. Each time I got 72 mph I felt a rough vibration that lasted 30 seconds or so and then it smoothed out. The vibration would come and go during the time I was 72 or faster. I never felt it under 72mph. I’m not on the interstate often so this weekend was the first I noticed it. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this belt vibration or something else? Any help is appreciated.
    2019 F3 Limited
    spyderpops brake strobe, spyderpops spyclops, lamonster fog lights and ring combo, lamonster H4 led head lights, Gustafsson 16" tinted wind screen
    2019 F3 Ltd , Blue

Spyder Garage

Could it be the surface of the road your feeling? You feel every thing on these bike, I find! What's the tension on your belt, maybe it's on the tight side and lowering it may help!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My 2019 F3 base does the same thing. It feels like the engine or aomething is struggling for a little then it smooths out. I am going in for my 3000 miles service on the 24th. I was going to mention it to them then.
    2017 F3 limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Mine did the same ,lowered the belt tension and installed a BRP belt idler and all is well.Mine would vibrate so bad i thought the belt would break.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rab1951 View Post
    I have a 2019 F3L with about 2400 miles on it. Over the weekend I took about a 400 mile ride and about half was on the interstate. Each time I got 72 mph I felt a rough vibration that lasted 30 seconds or so and then it smoothed out. The vibration would come and go during the time I was 72 or faster. I never felt it under 72mph. I’m not on the interstate often so this weekend was the first I noticed it. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is this belt vibration or something else? Any help is appreciated.
    Just put on a belt tensioner last weekend. I have over the last couple of years have dealt with this same issue...73 and above. Went on a 200 mile ride yesterday AND NO VIBRATION!! I have read many treads on this forum pros and cons. You must make the decision. I bought the upgraded one from Lamonster. NO REGRETS so far.

Spyder Garage

belt vibration, Smooth Spyder tensioner best one on the market, largest idler & bearing.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. i will look into the belt tension and getting a belt tensioner.
    2019 F3 Limited
    spyderpops brake strobe, spyderpops spyclops, lamonster fog lights and ring combo, lamonster H4 led head lights, Gustafsson 16" tinted wind screen
    2019 F3 Ltd , Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses. i will look into the belt tension and getting a belt tensioner.
    I lowered my drive tension ( as have others ) and can't feel any belt vibes ..... try lowering the tension to 160lbs ( using a KrtiKit guage)... ( get at BAJARON'S ) .... this tension is measured with the tire on the ground ..... if you still feel vibes get the tensioner ..... good luck .... Mike

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

You'll need the Krikit II not the Krikit.

krikit2.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I bought Lamonsters belt tensioner last month and have put 800 vibration free miles on it.

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-a...ley-lamonster/
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Belt tensioner is the way to go Blueknight911 is right it will work on some but not all Friend of mine lowered tension great never worked for me.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABQSpyder View Post
    Belt tensioner is the way to go Blueknight911 is right it will work on some but not all Friend of mine lowered tension great never worked for me.
    My main concern about needing / using a Belt Tensioner is ROLLER failure ..... This is not un-common according to quite a few folks here who have had it happen to them .... A new drive belt is going to cost approx. $325.00 ..... but only if you put it on ..... if not add another $100.00 or so fot the dealer to do it .... The very small amount of vibes doesn't feel that bad now does it ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Isn't it a Manufacturing Defect?

I have also experienced this issue. My F3 has just about 1,000 miles on it; and I got it new about 2 months ago.
    I am not someone who is experienced with working on bikes.
    And wouldn't this void the warranty if you added these items?

QUESTION... Shouldn't this be covered by the warranty? It seems a F3 should do any speed w/o vibration on a decent roadway. It seems if Can Am manufactures a $28,000 F3 that vibrates in the low 70 MPHs... isn't it a Defect?

Again I am no bike expert; but my last bike, a BMW C650GT never vibrated; even when I made it to 103 MPH. I remember being amazed at how smooth and steady it was. Its handling did not seem to differ at 50 or 72 or 103 MPH.

Thanks.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Warranty? Not likely. BuRP dealers are notorious for not wanting to do warranty work. Installing one won't hurt your warranty. BpRP sells one for $40. to see it
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I installed a BRP IDLER on my F3S as soon as them came out. Checked it a couple time a year. When the bearing began to fail I ordered Lamonster replacement roller. Everything working great again.

Spyder Garage

Leaders RPM 34.99. Probably PLUS shipping.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Warranty? Not likely. BuRP dealers are notorious for not wanting to do warranty work. Installing one won't hurt your warranty. BpRP sells one for $40. to see it
    I've got a BRP but found I was not able to install it. PM if anyone is interested.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

If you are going to install one, just make sure you check it out every time you change your oil, it dose spin fast down there and it has bearings that will wear out it time, no matter what one you buy!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I installed one of Lamonster’s upgraded versions I’ve put about 700 miles it works great.
    2019 Rt limited chrome , Phoenix orange

Spyder Garage

My ‘17 F3L had vibration at 71-74 mph. Lamonster tensioner completely cured it.
    2017 F3 Limited , Gloss Black with red and carbon fiber accents

Spyder Garage

I have a ‘17 f3s with 5800 KM, or about 3600 miles, and for the last 2000 Km or so it has experienced vibration, but not like I’m reading here. The vibration is at 3800 RPM and at 4200 RPM. Above and below these RPM values it is quite smooth. Also smooth between 3800 and 4200. And it doesn’t matter what gear I’m in, just vibrates at these 2 RPMs, but more noticeable in the higher gears. The vibration is not bad, bearable, but I’m having the dealer check it tomorrow when it goes in for oil change and “service”.
    If it is due to belt tension the vibration should have been there from new, not after 4000 Km. Just saying.

Spyder Garage

I have 2018 F3 Limited and had vibration at same RPM as Len99. Put on LaMonster tensioner with no change to belt tension and have 2000 vibration free miles since then. Belts stretch with use and that's probably why yours developed the problem later, mine did it from day one. It was very irritating since that was my cruising RPM and BRP definitely dropped the ball on the vibration issue since it's been a problem for years. You'd think that a $28K+ machine wouldn't have those type of problems, but they failed at a number of things in the design as I have found since owning my bike.

Spyder Garage

I just had the dealer do my first servicing, at 6,000 Km. I told the mechanic about the vibration, he said this is happens to quite a few f3 bikes, but as part of the servicing, he will check belt tension. After the service he said the belt had stretched and was below specs, so he adjusted it to the bottom of the acceptable range, similar to older Spyders. This was based on my recommendation which I had read here on this forum. Riding home vibration is gone. Mechanic said if it develops again, come in and he will adjust.

I like my dealer, friendly, courteous, honest (so far) but a bit expensive. Then again, why wouldn’t someone have a reputable dealer service a $30K vehicle to keep it in top shape? I will.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Len99 View Post
    I have a ‘17 f3s with 5800 KM, or about 3600 miles, and for the last 2000 Km or so it has experienced vibration, but not like I’m reading here. The vibration is at 3800 RPM and at 4200 RPM. Above and below these RPM values it is quite smooth. Also smooth between 3800 and 4200. And it doesn’t matter what gear I’m in, just vibrates at these 2 RPMs, but more noticeable in the higher gears. The vibration is not bad, bearable, but I’m having the dealer check it tomorrow when it goes in for oil change and “service”.
    If it is due to belt tension the vibration should have been there from new, not after 4000 Km. Just saying.
    What's your front tires look like, are they cupped? Or do you see maybe a little wheel hopping like it could be out of balance? And do you know what your belt tension is? maybe you just need to tighten the new belt up a little!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl