Spyder Garage

Default How often should the air system be making adjustments?

Hey guys...

2010 Spyder RTS

How often should the air system be making adjustments?

Sounds like a silly question and I only have my Goldwing to compare it too, but I hear a "Psssss" quite often. I don't think I hear the compressor pump it up but when my wife or I sit on it and it moves a little, I can hear it adjusting.

With the Goldwing, I set the pressure to where I need it to be and leave it there. I adjust it only when I need to make a change because of weight. I find that with the Spyder it is always making changes when you drive or when you move around when it's idling. Is that normal? Is it dynamic and always making changes?

I have sooo many question on this "new to her" machine.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One little detail that might help those who know about these things would be to share what model you are talking about.

In fact, you already have a signature, just add another line that mentions the bike.

Back to your question, I'm new to Spyders, too, but I have learned that the base models seem to be strictly manual, while the upper-level trim models are dynamic. If you have an adjustment button, think of that as a ride height adjuster. It's labeled "Softer" and "Firmer", but it only adds enough air to bring the height back to the preset height.

My Goldwing is somewhat similar to yours (depending on the year). Add or remove air, based on the pressure displayed on the panel, then it stays there until you change it again.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Steve is right, especially re the 'automatic' height adjustment systems.

Even if you can't always feel or HEAR it doing its thing, the ACS will be working pretty much all the time to maintain your ride height at its pre-set level....

So if either you or the pillion moves, it'll probably adjust; if you brake fairly firmly & the front dives, it'll adjust; and THEN it'll adjust again as you stop &/or your weight settles back onto the seat again!!

The compressor might only trigger every 6-10 'adjusts' or so, maybe even less often; but you really only need to start being concerned when the compressor is kicking on & off again every few seconds - that usually indicates that you've got a leak somewhere or a dodgy valve!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My 2010 RTS adjusts all the time. This is normal. Usually does it in the beginning when exiting my garage, as I believe the air deflated every night. I have mine set at 50 lbs. l also had my air system replaced under warranty. Has worked great ever since.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Steve is right, especially re the 'automatic' height adjustment systems.

Even if you can't always feel or HEAR it doing its thing, the ACS will be working pretty much all the time to maintain your ride height at its pre-set level....

So if either you or the pillion moves, it'll probably adjust; if you brake fairly firmly & the front dives, it'll adjust; and THEN it'll adjust again as you stop &/or your weight settles back onto the seat again!!

The compressor might only trigger every 6-10 'adjusts' or so, maybe even less often; but you really only need to start being concerned when the compressor is kicking on & off again every few seconds - that usually indicates that you've got a leak somewhere or a dodgy valve!!

Thanks...

I got this for my wife on Friday night July 10th. Drove it home (partially at night through thick London like fog) which was a 4 hour run arriving home at 11:30p. I have never ridden a Spyder before and my learning curve on-the-fly was in the shape of a circle. Been riding 2 wheels for 40+ years. It was an adventure.

In any respect I am going over the Spyder with a fine tooth comb before I start to teach her about it. I do all of my own wrenching and am compiling a list things to do and to investigate so you will see a few more "oh no... it's a Mr Magic Fingers question" questions come around in the near future. This side is such a valuable resource. I am grateful for all you knowledgeable people chiming in.

Tim

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    In fact, you already have a signature, just add another line that mentions the bike.
    Noticed the new sig. Thanks.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

The air suspension sounds like it is working correctly. But since you have mechanical skills and it would take very little effort. Get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray all over the air suspension components. If you see any bubbles. That is something you can proactively fix.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The air suspension sounds like it is working correctly. But since you have mechanical skills and it would take very little effort. Get a spray bottle of soapy water and spray all over the air suspension components. If you see any bubbles. That is something you can proactively fix.

Thats a great idea. I am all for PM on equipment.

I have ventured under the plastics yet. Intimidated with that mirror removal routine! hahahaha Think I will order those magnets in.

Tim

___

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    Intimidated with that mirror removal routine! hahahaha Think I will order those magnets in.
    Smart move!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

It's normal for the air system to be active while driving. First, the system adjusts for the initial load when it starts moving. When you use the brakes to slow down, the vehicle weight shifts forward, raising the rear end. When you accelerate, the opposite happens, the vehicle weight shifts to the rear, lowering the rear end. The level sensor reacts to this.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Smart move!
    Seconded!!!!
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would be nice if there was a bit of a time delay built in so the system would not react to every little change. Maybe wait 3-5 seconds to make SURE that a change is necessary.

HER ride:

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    It would be nice if there was a bit of a time delay built in so the system would not react to every little change. Maybe wait 3-5 seconds to make SURE that a change is necessary.

That really is a good idea. It would save a lot of wear and tear.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!