Spyder Garage

Default What should I get 2020 RT or RT LIMITED?

Hi I'm new here and I am in the process of buying a spyder. Currently I have a 2018 Harley street glide (5th Harley) and due to bad a knee I am getting a spyder but the big question RT or RT LIMITED let me hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Hi I'm new here and I am in the process of buying a spyder. Currently I have a 2018 Harley street glide (5th Harley) and due to bad a knee I am getting a spyder but the big question RT or RT LIMITED let me hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance
    Get the LTD. More amenities. It comes with pretty much everything. If you were to make your RT into a LTD it would cost a couple $K more than the LTD.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-13-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say it depends what type of riding you do and if you plan on carrying a passenger. Personally, my "long" days are 200-300 miles. I just don't have time for overnight or week long trips. I don't pull a trailer and never have a passenger. I also prefer the look of no trunk although it might be handy at times. The Limited has (over the base model): trunk, auto suspension, heated seats/passenger grips (heated driver grips are standard on both models) and those extra "eyebrow" lights in the front. The Limited also has a couple very minor things over the base model such as an LED light in the frunk. (I own more flashlights than I can count and never leave home w/o one in my pocket so this is a non-starter.) If you change weight often (passenger or trailer), the auto leveling suspension might be good although you can add it to the base model for something like $600. If you carry a LOT of stuff most of the time (i.e. long trips), the trunk would come in handy. If you only carry a little extra from time to time, the base model still offers the LinQ system and BRP offers a multitude of various smaller "trunks/bags" that will attach. None of those are as large as the Limited trunk but none of those are $2k, either.

Basically, it comes down to this. If you (and a passenger) like long weekend rides or cross country journeys, buy the Limited. If you prefer more day trips or the occasional overnighter, buy the base model.

If I buy an RT in the future (gotta ride one 1st), it'll be a base model.

Spyder Garage

Think “will I ever?” Cheaper to buy the full touring capability up front than to add it later. It’s a long term purchase. You’ll be living with your choice for a while. If you think you’ll try long ride touring get the capability up front.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said, it all depends on what you plan on using the spyder for. I had the same situation in 2014 on which to buy. I ended up with the RT base model and it served me well. But now I would probably buy the RT limited just for the extras alone. I do not like the trunk and will probably not ride with it often. But for those 3-4 times a year that I am able to get the wife on the bike, I would want to make her as comfortable as possible in order to have her ride even more.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I agree with those who have recommended getting the Limited. Our current (new-to-us) Spyders are a 2015 RT-S and a 2012 RT Limited. Both have amenities over the base models offered in those production years and we appreciate the extras.

If we were to buy new Spyders (and we will eventually) we will opt for the Liimited model for exactly the same reasons offer by others.

And by way of comparison and perspective, if the cost seems high, remember a CVO Harley trike lists for over $40 grand! Not to mention the two wheels are on the wrong end of the bike!
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Actually the cvo tri glide is over 50k
    And rides like garbage that's why I'm after the spyder��not because of the money but the ride comfort

Spyder Garage

And rides like garbage that's why I'm after the spyder��not because of the money but the ride comfort
    Then buy the Limited, Gambler......it is “sort of” the same as CVO over stock HDs.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Just echoing what others said.
    The Limited has more features, and some of them are "Limited" only, even if you buy a standard and elect to build it out later.
    On the other hand, if you buy the Limited, you can remove the trunk and have the look of a standard RT.
    If you have a passenger, the trunk is most handy, not only for supporting their back, but for carrying more stuff, which passengers seem to need lots of, even for day-trips.
    Can you be so sure you'll never have a passenger ?
    With a motorcycle as sleek as the new 2020 RT, you might not be able to avoid one.
    Don't ask me how I know this.........................................
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Get the Limited
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Definitely the Limited!!
    2023 900 Sport , Nitro Blue

Spyder Garage

Good Lord!! My first house cost less than that. But then I suppose keeping 1940s technology alive can be costly.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I recently had the same dilemma, opted for the Ltd and had the dealer throw in the back panel with the sale.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I vote for the RT Ltd

When I bought mine I had no interest in the adjustable screen, remote adjustable suspension, running boards, audio etc and considered fitting aftermarket "storage".

I would miss them all dearly now, and have seen the cost of retrofitting the items from BRP - sheesh I could by another RTL for less - that's in the land down under

I think its like features on your mobile you'll never need but are damn glad they are there when you do.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rt limited

My vote, RT LIMITED. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

We got the STD, added a top box and color panels. Saved thousands of dollars. Since we knew we were getting a saddle made, with heat, the LTD amenities were not worth it. For us, it made the most sense. There is so much storage in a STD, even without a top box, it puts every other motorcycle to shame. Be realistic on how you will use it, and buy accordingly.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

If you are the kind of person that is going to farkle your bike the minute you get it home, with seats and what not, the rt to me makes sense! The difference between the two is what adjustable air system, over manual fill, there are a lot of people out here that would take the manual, me included! Some chrome buttons and knobs, maybe rims, and removeable soft travel bags! If that's worth the difference in money than you need the RTL! Good luck, no matter what you pick it's going to be soooooo much fun, you can't take it with you!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have come around in my way of thinking.

I never owned a LTD until the most recent (2019 F3L), which I purchased in December 2019. I could not justify the extra $2K or so for some real chrome pieces and not much else. My first RT (2010) was a premier edition model which would be equivalent to a LTD today.

My 2011 was a base A & C and my 2014 was an RT-S. I did very little farkleing to either except for adding BRP comfort seats and driving lights. The 2014 is still that way, six years later.

The 2019 came with chrome wheels and trim. I added the Cannonball seat, a chrome trunk rack, and lots of lights. Signature light, driving lights, mirror lights, front vent lights, and finally, extra lights on the trunk. All my mods amounted to extra bling factor. No additional performance mods. 8K miles later, I am still a happy camper. The money I saved on the one year old "deal" more than paid for the accessories...so in essence, I got them for free. And, I made Spyderpops very happy that day.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red