Spyder Garage

Default Changing the Shift Shaft - Clutch basket stuck! Any ideas?

Changing the shift shaft adventure continues, part tres.

Can't remove the clutch basket from the shaft. It comes out about 1/2 inches and then thunk. Got the clutch hub, plates, etc. off the bike. Centrifugal clutch is still in the basket. Don't see it as a problem as it is attached to the basket hub..

Any ideas anyone?

Link to earlier 'reason' thread: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...t-Shaft-change
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-22-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Shaft & link
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Hi guys. Just want to keep you up to date.

The clutch basket cannot be removed with the clutch housing in place. Andddddddddd,,,,,,,, the clutch housing cannot be removed with the rear exhaust pipe in place.. The shop manual doesn't mention this.... So tomorrow I take off the muffler and the catalytic converter to be able to remove the rear exhaust pipe. That is $100 Cdn. of new gaskets and hardware for this pleasure.

Please give me a sign if this is of interest to the DIY crowd.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

You are diving much deeper than myself or anyone I know personally, for that matter. Messing with the clutch assembly is not something people do for fun. Like you, I'd go there if I had to. But until I have to. I'm content to watch from the sidelines. I am sorry I can't be of any help. But I'd say your adventure may be helping others. If that is of any consultation.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Like Ron this is of interest to me, but I have never had to go in that far and hope I never have to. I guess I missed something somewhere, Why are you doing this?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Pulled off the muffler today. A heck of a job. undoing the bolts between the muffler and the cat converter. They were really tight and the electric impact gun wouldn't budge them. Used release agent and then just turned the nut a couple of flats at a time. Tightened them a bit and loosened some more. took about 30 minutes to undo the 2 bolts.
    Less problematic was undoing the muffler support bolt. Had to hold the nut from the left side of the bike with a 24" long extension. Luckily I had the right sized swivel socket and extension to do the job.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

Got the clutch basket off yesterday after removing the rear exhaust pipe. Shift shaft doesn't come out because it is blocked by footrest plate. That is my next project after my angioplasty.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011

Spyder Garage

Back on the job after my angioplasty. I had a lot of trouble removing the right foot rest plate and at some point in time I believe the piston came out of the brake master cylinder. Lots of fluid on the bench. Pushed it back in but don't know if I damaged the seals. Is there a brake master cylinder seal kit available?

The good news is I have free access to change the shift shaft.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011