Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Very happy that you're relatively unscathed! Get the Spyder declared totaled and buy a new one asap! I did that with a crashed snowmobile and was riding a new one in a few days...
    Glad you and the wife are OK. Could have been a lot worse.
    I agree with get the bike declared totaled. Sounds like too much damage for a cost effective repair or rebuild.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does yours look anything like these? If so, it's totaled. These wouldn't be at an insurance company auction site if they hadn't been totaled.

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car...INNEAPOLIS_MN/

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car...E_RICHMOND_VA/

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/car..._BALTIMORE_MD/

To get more idea about how little damage it takes to total a Spyder go look at these: https://www.iaai.com/Vehiclelisting/...der%20Roadster

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

New frame and subframe components are all available. New main frame is a little over $1,000. But the labour would be higher than that to replace. Even if the Main frame is undamaged. The cost to repair may be too high.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Does anyone have any idea what percentage of value repairs would have to hit for it to be totaled?
    Typically if there is 75% of the value of the vehicle in damage, the insurance company will total it out. I have seen cases where there was little damage and a total and salvage title was issued (my 2 year old 2002 ford Lightning only had $5000 damage and was totaled). But my 2002 nissan maxima sustained about 80% damage once the diminished value and rental claim was added in.
    Best thing is that you are here to tell the story. Glad that you 2 are ok.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Holy Moly!!!!!! Glad you walked away!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Good reactions! The Spyder has great brakes, but you have to use them. Glad you are both okay. Hope you are back to ryding soon.
    ~Sandee~
    ... He did use His brakes and even has Brakes on His trailer. ..... From the op's description of the event, some accidents just can't be avoided. Time and Distance sometimes are not in your favor ....... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are ok.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are both ok!

2020 Petrol Blue RTL Dark

May the wind be at your back and keep 3 on the ground!

Spyder Garage

Glad you are both OK. Glad you were on 3 wheels & not 2.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Been down on two wheelers before and man I would rather have bruises. You must have an angel riding with you. glad you came out ok.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK
    You can fix or replace the Spyder but
    people body parts take longer.....

I installed new rotors, pads, rear tire, checked everything out on the bike, and the camper trailer and headed out. Wife and I put the bike and trailer on the Badger car ferry going from Ludington MI to Manitowoc WI and enjoyed the 4 hour trip over. We unloaded the bike and were headed to Deadwood for the three wheel rally, enjoying the back roads of WI.

Just a few hours into our ride a crazed deer decided to run up a bank and into our path, we were cruising about 62mph, I hit the brakes as hard as I could, the trailer has brakes too and left some black marks, the brakes on the bike worked great, but we still made hard contact killing the dear. I pulled the bike off of the road and shut it off and got off to take a look at the damage.

Both mirrors gone, headlights and fog lights broken, bezel around lights broken, front shoved back about 1-1 1/2", switch panel on dash popped out, both speaker panels popped out, vent on right side missing, cant open glove box that i just got working right, no body line gaps on the right side are tight, we are talking 3/4" gaps, and one left front tire pushed back 3/4" farther than the right one. One small bruise on my arm where a mirror hit me(I think) and one small bruise on my wife's leg.

If this would have been a 2 wheeler, we might mot be here, but at the least would have spent some time sliding down the road. I LOVE MY SPYDER!!

I hope that my riding for the summer is not over because of waiting for repairs.

I want something to ride!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK
    You can fix or replace the Spyder but
    people body parts take longer.....

I installed new rotors, pads, rear tire, checked everything out on the bike, and the camper trailer and headed out. Wife and I put the bike and trailer on the Badger car ferry going from Ludington MI to Manitowoc WI and enjoyed the 4 hour trip over. We unloaded the bike and were headed to Deadwood for the three wheel rally, enjoying the back roads of WI.

Just a few hours into our ride a crazed deer decided to run up a bank and into our path, we were cruising about 62mph, I hit the brakes as hard as I could, the trailer has brakes too and left some black marks, the brakes on the bike worked great, but we still made hard contact killing the dear. I pulled the bike off of the road and shut it off and got off to take a look at the damage.

Both mirrors gone, headlights and fog lights broken, bezel around lights broken, front shoved back about 1-1 1/2", switch panel on dash popped out, both speaker panels popped out, vent on right side missing, cant open glove box that i just got working right, no body line gaps on the right side are tight, we are talking 3/4" gaps, and one left front tire pushed back 3/4" farther than the right one. One small bruise on my arm where a mirror hit me(I think) and one small bruise on my wife's leg.

If this would have been a 2 wheeler, we might mot be here, but at the least would have spent some time sliding down the road. I LOVE MY SPYDER!!

I hope that my riding for the summer is not over because of waiting for repairs.

I want something to ride!!

Spyder Garage

You walked away from it. Good outcome.

Your Bambi's sound like our Skippy's. Assassins waiting for you.

Spyder Garage

UGH glad u guys ok
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well just got word from the insurance company yesterday, they think it is repairable.

Unfortunately the appraiser the insurance company sent out bluntly told me "I know nothing about motorcycles, I normally just do cars". When I pointed out the way the one tire is pushed back an inch, and the while upper body is back about 3/4" on the right and 1/2" on the left, his comment was, "I think they can straighten that".

Has me a little worried!

So I am taking it to the shop and telling those guys to go over it in great detail to make sure and see if they think it is repairable.

Too bad they can't get to it for at least 2 weeks.
    Then if they determine it is repairable, it is order the parts, then wait on them, then repair. I think my riding season might be over.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

When I hit the dog with my 2013 STL. It certainly did not do as much damage as yours has. But I needed a new front subframe, front trunk bucket and various color matched body panels. The parts came in 2 days. So I hit the dog on a Monday night and I picked up the Spyder from the dealer on Friday. All fixed.

In your case and if I was making the decisions, if the main frame is bent. I would refuse to allow it to be straightened out. Demand a new frame and that would put the cost in into write off area. If the the main frame is not bent and it is just the subframes are. Just make the dealer get new ones. They are cheap enough. Just bolt on with little labour. It just does not make any sense trying to straighten the old ones. Your dealer may not want to straighten stuff out either. They may have discussions with the adjuster on your behalf. But that won't happen until they tear it down.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I had the same thing happen to me. I called them and said he had missed the main part of the damage. Take picture of it and send to them. I had a estimate from the guy that hit me and they had total it "Progressive". They took the progressive estimate and total it also. Need a second Estimate and pictures. Send them pictures of the damage he missed. Good Luck.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

As far as I know. Motorcycle dealers are not body shops. They dont have frame straightening equipment. They can only bolt on new stuff. If the frame is bent. I would say it's totaled.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I worked at a Yamaha Dealership for a year. The Insurance Co (State Farm) made my mechanics do the estimate since they told me "we do not do motor sport equipment". I'd let a spyder dealer write up an estimate and see whats different and take it from there.
    Glad everyone is safe.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

So glad you two were not hurt bad.
    ND Rider
    2016 F3 , Red

Spyder Garage

Sitting here watching these beautiful riding days slip by while my Spyder sits at the Cycle shop waiting for the technician to see what the verdict is.

Setting with it in the garage in the wintertime doesn't bother me, weather is to bad to ride, however missing out on these beautiful days just sucks!

Spyder Garage

Does your insurance policy have a rental vehicle provision.....?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I was just wondering the same thing. Who would have a rental if they did?
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Unfortunately, no

Spyder Garage

Well just got word from the insurance company yesterday, they think it is repairable.

Unfortunately the appraiser the insurance company sent out bluntly told me "I know nothing about motorcycles, I normally just do cars". When I pointed out the way the one tire is pushed back an inch, and the while upper body is back about 3/4" on the right and 1/2" on the left, his comment was, "I think they can straighten that".

Has me a little worried!

So I am taking it to the shop and telling those guys to go over it in great detail to make sure and see if they think it is repairable.

Too bad they can't get to it for at least 2 weeks.
    Then if they determine it is repairable, it is order the parts, then wait on them, then repair. I think my riding season might be over.
    Where and how is going to straighten that frame, if it needs to be done?? I know when I get into a scrap with my snowmobiles the dealer works up a parts list of everything that they can see is messed up and gives that list to the insurance company then he makes the call from there!! If you can get a second opinion on this thing I would do it!! Good luck!! Even if they are going to repair it, with all this virus crap going on they will probably be a while getting all the parts you need, it's got everything screwed up in Maine! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl