Spyder Garage

Default Just another compressor issue

So I have a 2014 RTL, noticed yesterday the compressor was kicking on and off quite frequently. So today I removed the side panels and checked for leaks using soapy water. Couldn't find a leak at any fittings (compressor. solenoid, top of airbag) Put a small amount water with food coloring in to the system and looked for leaks, still no go. Pressured the system up with shrader valve and let stand for 2 hrs, checked height before and after 2 hours, no change. So I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the switch for the ride height (left side, arm attaches to the swing arm). I thought maybe the switch contacts maybe shorting out flipping the compressor on and off.
    One other thing, I pulled the check valve off cleaned it and its working perfectly. The compressor is actually pumping air also.
    Thanks for all your help.

Spyder Garage

Could be a software issue. If nothing leaks, and the switches are good, then perhaps the upper and lower limits are too close, and the heat causes the bag to expand. Worth having a check.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Perhaps it may be the leveling switch or arm that is attached to the swing arm!! Loose, dirty, bad connections!! Don't know how far you can take it apart to clean the contacts in the switch good place to start! You have hit all of the rest of the spots to check, good luck hope you find it! It's a wonderful system when it works, but it can be a pita when it don't!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

A faulty rear shock can cause this issue. Lack of proper dampening will allow the rear to bounce - thus triggering the system to add/remove air in short intervals. A quick and easy test is to stand on one of the passenger pegs and quickly step or jump off and observe whether the the rear rises in a controlled fashion or bounces to the top with a thud. We recently replaced a shock because it was causing the compressor fuse to blow from the rapid cycling.

As mentioned above, it’s also possible that the limit settings are incorrect. It’s a pretty easy adjustment if you have access to BUDS.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the responses. Still could find non leaks. Pulled the position switch off tonight, figuring its just a potentiometer hooked to the arm which is hooked to the swing arm. Found 3 pins with continuity. It appears the resistance runs from 600 Ohms to 1300 ohms add full extension depending on which pins you're connected to. I'm assuming the brain reads the voltage coming off the position switch for the 5 different positions 6V to 12V. Position switch appears to be good, no leaks. I'm lost. Don't have BUDS, reading the manual, I could see that would be a help.
    IDEAS

Spyder Garage

So I pumped up the suspension one more time and will check tomorrow night to verify again I have no leaks.
    If I don't, does anyone no how to disable the compressor (pull the plug or is there a fuse/and or relay to pull. Than I'll just run in manual until the winter when I'm going to replace the rear tire and will have much better access.
    JSRT mentioned a bad shock, I checked tonight and it doesn't appear to have a uncontrolled rebound. Why wife and I are on the bigger side, wonder if this winter I should upgrade the shock.
    Advice?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 94gnatsum View Post
    So I pumped up the suspension one more time and will check tomorrow night to verify again I have no leaks.
    If I don't, does anyone no how to disable the compressor (pull the plug or is there a fuse/and or relay to pull. Than I'll just run in manual until the winter when I'm going to replace the rear tire and will have much better access.
    JSRT mentioned a bad shock, I checked tonight and it doesn't appear to have a uncontrolled rebound. Why wife and I are on the bigger side, wonder if this winter I should upgrade the shock.
    Advice?
    Just be aware that if you've put in more air than is needed to maintain the ride-height at its pre-set software level, the very next time you start the Spyder it'll let air out & you might be thinking you've got a leak when you don't really!! It's just resetting the pressure to only what's necessary to hold the height under your current load!

The 'pump up the air bag & check later' thing ONLY works if you don't start/ryde your Spyder between the 'pump up' and the 'check later'; and even then, it might not be a great 'leak' indicator per se, simply because an even just a slightly over-inflated air-bag can force the bag down onto its seat & block off a small leak, something that may ONLY be found if/when you ryde & the bag stretches & compresses under load.

And don't forget that these things ARE dynamic and they DO respond to every fairly small height change - even just you moving on the seat can trigger a variation big enough to kick off an ACS adjustment! So unless the compressor is kicking in every few seconds, there's a good chance it's doing its thing properly!

Often, it's just a case of 'Ryde More, Worry Less!'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    And don't forget that these things ARE dynamic and they DO respond to every fairly small height change - even just you moving on the seat can trigger a variation big enough to kick off an ACS adjustment! So unless the compressor is kicking in every few seconds, there's a good chance it's doing its thing properly!
    Thanks for this reply. I actually started a thread yesterday (not seeing this one) with question based on this.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

My pump went two years ago after doing the leg work and figuring how much it was going to cost me to fix it, and the reliability of the whole system, I choice to shut the pump off, take a piece of air line and go straight for the shrader valve, to the air bag and fill the bag manuely!! The same way it is on some of the lower level rt's. Works like a champ for me! But that being said, your shock may be shot like the gentalman said above, I know my shock needs to be replaced, but when I do then I'll go to m2, or elka and have them build me a shock where I can pretty much unload the air shock to 10 psi and never worry about it again! LIke I said when it works, nice thing to have, I found I didnt ever change the ride height softer or harder and it wasnt worth coming home dead to the frame with a low rider!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Where did you get the hose fitting?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 94gnatsum View Post
    Where did you get the hose fitting?
    I used the ones that are there, you push in on the hose lightly while you push on the end of the fitting, it will go in slightly then pull the hose out of the fitting! They are reusable , make sure you wipe any dirt out and off of the fitting before you start, it will come apart easyer! If you need new fittings, a Napa or good parts store will have what you need, they also have the air line, it's the same size that's used on any vehicle that has air brakes !! Good Luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Update, Spyder sat for a couple of weeks, I was way to busy to work on it. Late last week I bought a air coupling (1/4") and connected the shrader valve tubing directly to the air bag, bypassing the solenoid valve. I removed the solenoid valve and taped off the connector. I removed the connecting arm from the swingarm to the suspension position switch. I put the switch in the bottom position and put the controller at the lowest position. This should keep the compressor from running. I manually filled the airbag this past weekend, 7-8hr ride with my wife on back. no leakage or issues.
    My plan is to replace tubing this winter and install an aftermarket compressor, reinstall system and new shock. I need to replace back tire anyway , it should give me more room to work. I like the idea of TEEing off the air and installing a pressure gauge. I may do that. It appears to me that the push on fittings seem to leak a small amount of air at all times.