Spyder Garage

Default We can't edit OR delete our own posts ?

Did I miss something ?

I have a post in the BajaRon swaybar thread that I want to update with new information.
    I'm not able to open up an edit window.
    Am I not understanding a new feature ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Sorry ThreeWheels, but you are just the first to notice how we may sometimes all suffer due to the inconsiderate abuse of the Forum by others! This is not due to anything YOU may have done or not done, it's purely in response to the abuse of the Forum and the facility it offers the broader Spyder Community by others thinking only of themselves and any benefits they can suck out of the 'captive audience' they have here!

Anyhow, the 'open window for editing' any posts is now only 1 day - mainly because some 'self-serving members' were coming back to their old posts & gutting their content, which REALLY hurts the Forum's standing in the various searches and could threaten its continued operation. So it's a case of 'edit your old posts, & we all risk losing the Forum', or 'Sorry, you can't do that any more; but the upside is that we still get to post here & share the benefits of having the Forum remain open!'

That is also why the ability for posters to delete their old threads was removed; back when that first happened (because the Forum had dropped off many of the search lists due to too many deleted threads & so it was losing views & support, inc financial support!) some chose to gut their posts as an alternative, despite being warned that if too many posts were edited or gutted that way the continued operation of the whole Forum was being put at risk!! The warning then included notice that those people chosing their own benefit over the continued operation of the Forum may well cause the 'edit post' feature to be restricted or removed before it came to risking the whole Forum, but some people only ever think of what they can get out a given facility &/or situation..... so now you and the majority of posters here who DO & HAVE been abiding by the Rules that are aimed at keeping the place open for us all to benefit from sharing our Spyder/Ryker knowledge & experiences and maybe even helping some others enjoy them as much as we do, all get to suffer further restrictions due to the selfish behaviour of a minority!!

Sorry for the rant, but as you might guess, I'm a little ticked off by the selfishness of some!

PS: maybe you could 'Quote' your original post in a new reply to the thread & edit or add info as necessary that way?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow. Deleting old posts. What's the world coming too. It's there leave it alone .

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, there are a few posters who come to the site with malicious intent. They would love to destroy the site, they like to cause dissention by some of their posts, and they want to raise issues, not necessarily for the good of the site, if they can.

Some of the changes have been made to help circumvent some of these actions. The few who are affected by some of the changes, we are sorry for that. The goal is to make this a user friendly site for all.

The site now mostly runs with very little intervention from moderators or administrators. We prefer working in the background.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The window on the CB 1100forum for editing is only 1 hour. However, after that a moderator can modify it at the original posters request....but that is a much smaller forum.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    The window on the CB 1100forum for editing is only 1 hour. However, after that a moderator can modify it at the original posters request....but that is a much smaller forum.
    Same here, moderators can modify a post if needed.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-12-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Ten years ago this board was rife with insults, rants and attacks. I much prefer it today and thank the moderators for helping to keep it sane, non political and polite.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

LOL . I remember my first time posting and got attacked by a known poster. The site has come along way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    LOL . I remember my first time posting and got attacked by a known poster. The site has come along way.
    Yes, that was a common thing and done by those who should have known better.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The majority usually suffer for the actions of a few. It's always been this way, and probably will always be. A shame, of course. But pretending that it isn't true just doesn't work.

Some do whatever they can. Some do whatever they can get away with.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...